Noisy 'Stormy' Sounds from II XL

EvilPhish

Inspired
Hi guys, I was just tweaking a few settings for a show this weekend and noticed (I actually had a friend point it out recently but kind of forgot) that this thing is incredibly noisy, even on low-gain/clean presets.

It sounds almost like a 'whooshy', 'stormy' kind of noise, like wind maybe. It's not 60hz buzz, it's not the cable (I usually use a Sennheiser wireless, but I tried several different 'good' cables with the same results), I've got a good power conditioner, I dunno.

I'm going into a Yamaha DXR8 with a single XLR (Mogami Silver), they're on different plugs in different circuits.

I'm about to reinstall the Firmware (Quantum 3.03) as I seem to recall reading here that could resolve some issues. (Did NOT help.)

The more I mess with it, the more it seems like the more I PLAY through it the noisier it gets. This has me utterly perplexed.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I'm listening om my phone on a crappy headset so this might be completely useless, I really don't hear anything weird. Might it be some kind of gate kicking in in a way that you don't like?

Thanks for the advice, I actually thought of that, but no.

Turns out, I apparently have a front input that's bad in some way. On a late night, last-minute lark, I switched to the rear input and plugged in, voila! No noise, clearer sound, more articulation, ended up solving some issues I didn't realize I even had.

It'll do for the next few days, then it's off to Fractal HQ I guess.

Hey.....I know exactly what your talking about. Its not too present during the notes, like it rides in the background...its at the end of your clip right? I have a Sennheiser wireless as well and a gate minimizes the amount when not playing, but to set it to completely kill that noise is detrimental to your tone/playing.

I had issues at one point where the cable connects to the body pack...replaced the cable....replaced the body pack and seemed to help a bit...but its still there. I havent tried the rear input in awhile, but I may have the same issue as you...but I have a original Ultra first model...

I may have to retry the rear input this weekend and see if it helps...I know the input trim knob is quite staticy when it is turned, but seems fine when just sitting in one place...maybe the pot is shot and that is where it is coming from.

Yeah, that's like it, although it's present whether I'm using a cable or wireless and even if nothing is plugged in to a lesser degree.

I can't see it being anything BUT the input itself, there are absolutely zero issues since switching to the back input, and I've put several hours on it today to check it before the show.

What are your input level values in the I/O menu? Front INSTR input being set too low could cause this. Also, what's Input 1 mode set to?

Last edited:
I run EMG's and plugged into the front input I have to run my input trip (On the original ultra again..) at about 2-3 o'clock...barely every touch red...any higher on the knob and the noise gets too much...so the input trim for me is more of an input noise control.

What are your input level values in the I/O menu? Front INSTR input being set too low could cause this. Also, what's Input 1 mode set to?
The input values are somewhere around 55% or so? I set them by going through all my guitars and figured out a balance between the highest output pickups and the lowest values, set so the highest just 'tickle the red' (as I've read here before).

I forget exactly what Input 1 was set to, but it was the default I think, 'Stereo' or something? Mono(L) maybe?

Things have hopefully calmed down a bit this week (sorry for abandoning this thread), I've managed to do a little more testing and yeah, it's easy as sin to replicate:

Plugging into the front input = weird 'rustling/whooshing' noises that seem to increase the more I play. Regardless of setup, signal chain, factory presets v/s my own.

Switching to the rear input results in perfectly quiet signal, no issues, no oddness of any sort, plus it SOUNDS better (I actually had to quickly re-work some of my presets for the show last weekend as a result).

I'm pretty sure this means my front input is shot in some way, I guess I need to box it up and send it to FAS for repair (unless it's a user replaceable part?). Anyone have any idea what this sort of thing runs, as they're closed now?

Sounds similar to issue had once, in my case support asked I send it in (under warranty at the time). Turnaround was quick, IIRC shipped to FAS on a Monday and had it back that weekend. Good luck!

How close to your computer are you? The laptop I use with my AxeFX spits out huge amounts of interference that the guitar pickups catch.

How close to your computer are you? The laptop I use with my AxeFX spits out huge amounts of interference that the guitar pickups catch.

yea that's always a problem recording while sitting in front of your computer
There's always an angle you gotta spin your chair around, for me it's about 7:30 from 12 being forward
BDn8PWD.jpg

Im having a similar issue, gonna try out the rear input and see what that does. I used the rear on my ultra for a long time, partially due to loose front jack.

Back
Top Bottom