noisegate issues when using AxeII with my 6505+ poweramp

alexwald

I'm having problems setting up fx II noisegate to work with my peavey 6505+ in our rehearsal room. my setup is: guitar (2 different, active pups in both) -> directly to axe, then ->fx return on 6505+ -> orange 4x12 cab. I setup the volume with the output level 1 on axe front panel (9 o'clock is sufficient for our rehearsals). on my distorted patch, noisegate is set to threshold at 12 o'clock, ratio 12 o'clock, attack and release to minimum.
this way, the staccato play (fast, executed palm mutes) and breakdowns are ALMOST gated properly, but there is always a glitch of sound squeal that comes through. also, when I hit the powerchord and let ring out, the feedback kick in way too soon, IMHO. I use the 6160 simulation with relatively low gain (10 o'clock) and also TS808 boost, all reasonable levels, my input AD levels almost never reach the red LED, no output clipping. I've tried adding another noisegate right behind the boost, with the same setting, to no avail.
Am I dialing the gates in a wrong way? any suggestions? should I go for higher threshhold settings?
I was also thinking to lower the master / level settings for that specific patch, which should allow me to use the output level knob on the front panel more smoothly (use settings beyond 9o'clock), but I'm not sure if that would help at all.

Are you doing this by adding a gate on the grid or by using the gate on the input side ?

Try moving the second gate after the amp sim and set the gate input/SCSEL to Input 1 or 2 depending on what you use.
Try that any see if its any better. The settings you are using are pretty extreme. Seems like its a little over kill. The early
feedback suggest that it could just be the room slamming the sound back into you pickups. Make sure the power amp
sims are off as well.

Try moving the second gate after the amp sim and set the gate input/SCSEL to Input 1 or 2 depending on what you use.
Try that any see if its any better. The settings you are using are pretty extreme. Seems like its a little over kill. The early
feedback suggest that it could just be the room slamming the sound back into you pickups. Make sure the power amp
sims are off as well.

thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to move NG around during our next rehearsal and see how it goes. power sims / cabs are always off.
to me it just seems that perhaps the signal is running too hot out of axe-fx, mostly because how little output level I use in most situations, when running into 6505+ poweramp, but also when going straight into the mix console, etc...

hot signal going into all-tube poweramp could cause feedback/squeals, right?

Have you checked the amp itself? See if its making the same noise when you plug into the front of the amp.
You could also use the Bypass patch or make one, plug directly into the front of the Axe-fx,use the input gate
or add a gate/expander block, turn the Output 1 all the way up(though I would do that slowly just in case),
into the front of your amp. If you dont have another gate to mess with. This will be your gate for testing the
real amp. Might be worth a try. :)

i think over time it would help you to recognize the values of your noise gate in terms of the actual settings, rather than an 'o clock thing.

with your settings, your threshold is around -50dB and your ratio is about 4.5... to me, that's a LOT of gate. with your attack and release set to minimum, it will open and close really fast, which can lead to the sudden squeals if the squeals are just as loud as when you play.

the input noise gate is to prevent "non-intended sounds" to reach the rest of the chain since a high gain amp will make these sounds louder than a low gain amp. "non-intended" sounds for me are pretty much just when the strings aren't ringing. any thing else, including feedback, are not what the input gate is for.

if the feedback is just as loud as your playing, it will get through the gate. with your settings, if feedback is happening, you may not know because the gate is so high you can't hear it... but then suddenly when the feedback passes the threshold, bam it squeals suddenly and loudly.

if you're getting unwanted feedback, your pickups are simply too close to the speakers at that volume. it's physics; a noise gate won't help, but only cause the problem i just mentioned. are you facing your amp?

my gate is normally set like this:

thresh: -75dB
ratio: 2.5
attack: 1 ms
release: 80ms

again, it's only going to gate the hum of the guitar and the non-ringing strings. any other noise, even a light tap on the strings, will get through. but i want that so i can hear what's happening with the guitar.

Back
Top Bottom