Noise while reamping

Vitor Mancini

Inspired
I was reamping some tracks and noticed that there's something like a "high gain patch" noise while reamping the tracks..
The weird thing is that it's not there when I record with the tone I'm using to reamp..
Example.. I record both wet and dry tracks at the same time, wet track using preset X.. then I simply reamp the wet track with this exact same preset X and get noise in the track (you can clearly hear it when the guitar is not being played in the track, when it'd being played it gets kind lost in the tone, but still there), while the wet track, which has been recorded with the exact same preset doesn't have this noise.. :shock

I should end up with the exact same track (wet and reamped dry), but the reamped track has this "high gain noise" and I don't know why hahaha

It happened some FWs ago, then it disappeared, and now it's back again.. I have no idea of where this come from..

Any ideas?! =)

Thanks!

UPDATE
Forgot to say that I can record a sample if you guys want it! =)

That's odd then. I noticed same issue trying to reamp with analog ins and outs a while back and never did get it resolved. Through USB it works perfectly. I guess make sure there are no other tracks feeding the input of the Axe for one thing. What are you using to record?

Someone reported this same thing and it had something to do with the settings in the DAW. I don't remember exactly but I think it was a dither setting.

That's odd then. I noticed same issue trying to reamp with analog ins and outs a while back and never did get it resolved. Through USB it works perfectly. I guess make sure there are no other tracks feeding the input of the Axe for one thing. What are you using to record?

No, everything is fine.. I used to do it a lot..
The chain is JP6 > Axe FX II > Sonar (usb)

Someone reported this same thing and it had something to do with the settings in the DAW. I don't remember exactly but I think it was a dither setting.

It doesn't seem to be, the noise sounds more like if the guitar wasn't well shielded and that there was too much gain in the preset.. you know, when you take your hands off the guitar and you hear the "gain" noise coming from it..
And actually, I didn't change anything in the DAW at all hahaha it is pretty much plug and play as everything is already setted up and the noise appeared again..

Anyway, can anyone link me to that thread? I may take a look =)

Also, I can record a sample if needed..

UPDATE
Forgot to mention that the noise ISN'T in the dry tracks too.. so it's not coming from the guitar at all..
Actually, if it was, all my wet tracks would have the noise too.. so it really occurs while reamping.. =/

Last edited:
Sorry I got nothin'. Maybe double check your sample rate. I had a different issue once due to Sonar running at 44.1k while the Axe is 48k.

I had this happen to me too. I noticed that when reamping it sounded great, but when playing it back I heard that noise, even on the dry track to be re-amped. You have to switch the Main Input Source off USB back to Analog In on the Axe FX even though no tracks in the DAW are armed when playing back. Something is bleeding through even though nothing is selected to record. I switch back from USB to Analog (IN 1) and the noise disappears. Hope this works for you too.

I had this happen to me too. I noticed that when reamping it sounded great, but when playing it back I heard that noise, even on the dry track to be re-amped. You have to switch the Main Input Source off USB back to Analog In on the Axe FX even though no tracks in the DAW are armed when playing back. Something is bleeding through even though nothing is selected to record. I switch back from USB to Analog (IN 1) and the noise disappears. Hope this works for you too.

No, this is not the case.. when you set the Axe input source as USB, every sound that comes from the computer is going to be processed, so if you reamp and forget to switch back to Analog, you will hear the reamped track being processed again, so of course there will be a lot of noise..
The thing is that I'm getting this noise when reamping ALREADY, not only when I'm listening back.. there's noise when listening back too (input set back to Analog), which means the reamped track got this noise while reamping..
Basically I record the wet and dry tracks, change the input source to USB, reamp the dry track (and hear the noise going on), switch input source back to Analog (so the Axe won't listen to the computer anymore) and play the reamped track (noise is still there, as is came from the reamping process)..
So no, I'm not listening to the reamped track being re-processed.. =/

If I remember correctly you have to make sure to set your File Bit Depths to all be the same. In Sonar X3 go into preferences (or just press P) then under the File section, go to Audio Data and make sure Record Bit Depth, Render Bit Depth and Import Bit Depth are all set to 24 (bit)... Import Bit Depth maybe not as important unless you are importing the dry track.

Just an update..
I just tried to reamp a dry signal again and I got this crackling noise even when the guitar's volume pot is at 0..
When opened, it gets worse and and you can still hear it between the guitar track (even when the guitar is being played)..
Should I post a reamped clipso you guys could take a listen?

Back
Top Bottom