Noise problem solved: Stay Away From These Guitar Cables

A few years ago I bought a higher end Monster cable (yes, before I knew about all that *stuff*.)

FWIW I don't believe in thinking too much about this stuff, but it made no sense to connect a $3000 guitar and a $4500 rig with a $6 cable. So I picked up something higher end.

Since I can stick Monster with free replacements, I walk into Guitar Center every 6 months and get a new one.

R

Guitar Center + Monster Cable == Never Again.
Purchased some Monster Cables from my local Guitar Center with the "Guaranteed for Life, no matter what" warranty.
Two years later one dies after stepping on the end of the cable breaking off the tip. Stop by the local GC for a "free" replacement.
Was notified that I have to have the original purchase receipt for a replacement. Now I have to keep the original receipts for all the cables I purchased?
Cheated again by Guitar Center. Buyer Beware.

It's worth the effort to develop soldering skills, which also lets you develop your basic electronic troubleshooting skills. I make all my own custom [1/4", XLR, MIDI, Cat5/6, Speakon, PowerCon, etc] interconnects by purchasing the cable in bulk and terminating the ends myself.

As much as I appreciate a well-built products from a boutique manufacturer, there isn't anything magical about the electric flow. If you use high-quality 95+% braided-shield (e.g., Mogami or Canare) cable, and properly terminate the ends by soldering on high-quality (e.g., Neutrik) plugs and installing heat shrink tubing for strain relief, you will have a result every bit as good, at about 20% of the cost.

I made the mistake of buying Musican's Gear XLR and Guitar cables once. I bought 2 of each and 1 of each was DOA. The 2nd XLR started shorting out after a few uses. I returned all 4 cables.

It's worth the effort to develop soldering skills, which also lets you develop your basic electronic troubleshooting skills. I make all my own custom [1/4", XLR, MIDI, Cat5/6, Speakon, PowerCon, etc] interconnects by purchasing the cable in bulk and terminating the ends myself.

As much as I appreciate a well-built products from a boutique manufacturer, there isn't anything magical about the electric flow. If you use high-quality 95+% braided-shield (e.g., Mogami or Canare) cable, and properly terminate the ends by soldering on high-quality (e.g., Neutrik) plugs and installing heat shrink tubing for strain relief, you will have a result every bit as good, at about 20% of the cost.

Any favorite sources for supplies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purchased some Monster Cables from my local Guitar Center with the "Guaranteed for Life, no matter what" warranty.
Two years later one dies after stepping on the end of the cable breaking off the tip. Stop by the local GC for a "free" replacement.
Was notified that I have to have the original purchase receipt for a replacement. Now I have to keep the original receipts for all the cables I purchased?

That is sooo messed up. They have every purchase you've ever made in their database, so they should be able to see that you purchased them. F'ers!! :evil

This why I stuck to one cable manufacturer...(can now blame someone!)

I am now completely running Death Valley cables... (not affiliated)... I did try the DIYS cables but for a few $ more, I get what I want...done properly and guaranteed.

yes, plug and play! ... but not one issue.

Forum friend GROOVENUT introduced me to this website Redco Audio - Audio/Video Supplies and Accessories, Custom Cables and Panels, and more
where you can custom order your quality cables, length, types of jacks etc (they have mogami cables as well as other brands to choose from)

I too, insanely tired of low/mid quality cables with issues

Love Redco. I just did fairly large order from them and Mouser for a breakout panel for my X32 Rack. Their metal boot "Redco-FX3" XLR connectors are amazing and only cost $2.50 a piece.

DSC07715_zps5af0e457.jpg

They're a Monster dealer, they have to return it. The guy probably didn't want to fill out the paper work so he gave you the run around. Talk to the manager. I've never had to show my receipt and I return these all the time.

I use Mogami for Guitar Cables and Best-tronics for Midi,TRS, and Wireless Transmitter Cable.

Like a couple of others, I made my recent set of cables. Bought a bunch of Mogami cable and Amphenol connectors and had it one afternoon. Ended up with a bunch of cables for the cost of one expensive one of similar quality.

Like a couple of others, I made my recent set of cables. Bought a bunch of Mogami cable and Amphenol connectors and had it one afternoon. Ended up with a bunch of cables for the cost of one expensive one of similar quality.

Amphenol makes nice connectors.

Any favorite sources for supplies?

Here are some handy suppliers. I usually do some comparison shopping when I need supplies, as prices sometimes fluctuate among dealers.

Markertek
Tube Depot
Parts Express

I also look on eBay for specific items. Last year I purchased 25 Neutrik XLR plugs at less than wholesale. I made a bunch of 50 foot cables, and two subsnakes for drums / keys.

Also : invest in a high quality soldering iron. I have a Weller, which has lasted for a decade of fairly regular use.

simple. high quality. Joe Naylor.

I have several of these Armor Gold cables and can attest to their quality. You could set them on fire and they'd still sound great. They also look great and are reasonably-priced. I've thought about getting some of their pancake patch cables.

Odd, since I've never been asked ever for proof of purchase. They just annotate something on the computer, and off I go.

I purchased a socket set at [a big box national-chain hardware store] a number of years ago, and it had a lifetime warranty. One of the wrenches broke, and I attempted to return it for a replacement. At the time, I had longish rocker hair, and was wearing jeans. The person at the customer service desk told me they couldn't accept it for return. They immediately got belligerent and weird about situation, as if I was trying to pull a fast one. I'm a total smarty-pants goofball, and never back down from an opportunity to explore absurdity. The exchange went like this:

Me : "Hi, I'd like to return this wrench. It has a lifetime warranty and it has broken. I'd like a replacement please."
Customer Service : "I see. Well it's broken and no longer under warranty."
Me : "But it's stamped right onto the tool 'lifetime warranty'. See? It says it RIGHT THERE"
Customer Service : "Yes it does"
Me : "Awesome. So can I have a replacement?"
Customer Service : "No"
Me : "But it says 'lifetime warranty'. And owing to the fact that I am still, at this time, alive, the warranty is in effect, is it not?"
Customer Service " No. The warranty is for the life of the TOOL, not the owner"
Me : "You mean to say the tool is warranted never to break until it does, at which point the warranty is void?"
Customer Service : (blank stare) "...it says... right on the..."
Me : "How does this warranty differ from a non-warranty? ANY product can be guaranteed to work until it stops working."
Customer Service : "...perhaps you'd like to speak to a manager?"
Me : "No. I want you to explain it to me again"

It was like a Monty Python sketch. By the time they asked me if I wanted to speak to a manager, I had already committed to flogging this situation for the amusement of the other people in line. It didn't take long for a manager to arrive on the scene and put it right. He replaced the wrench immediately. When I left, customer service rep was still insisting to the manager that the tool should not have been replaced because the one I brought in was broken.

100% true story.

Back
Top Bottom