Noise Gate

Akstrat

Experienced
Can someone shed some light on settings for using a Noise Gate on the front end for use with Marshall like overdriven tones? I'm thinking of putting a NG in the Input and want to know how to set this up so I don't squash the signal and tone!
Thanks!

My 0.02 is that a noise gate will always squash the tone esp. the sustain. At the same time it allows for different techniques like cleaner staccato notes, less squeals, etc. I usually have rhythm / lead patches set and leave the noise gate off the lead.

I typically use the 'Input Gate'. Start with it like this..........
input gate.png
If that isn't enough, increase the 'Threshold' to a max of -70.0 dB. If that isn't enough, also increase the 'Ratio' to a max '3.00'. If that isn't enough, further increase the 'Threshold' until the noise is silenced.

If you are using scenes and have a large difference in gain between some scenes. Use a Scene Controller to vary the 'Threshold' and/or the 'Ratio' so that you have only the amount of gating needed for each scene. I used this technique in my 'Clean to Mean' packs.

Noise gate settings depend entirely on your situation: what guitar and pickups you're running, how much gain you're running, how much interference there is in the room... There's no "these settings for this amp" rule.

There is a meter on the noise gate page that shows your interaction with it. I'd read up on the parameters and dial up some extreme settings so you can quickly understand what they are doing. The meter comes in very handy when dialing in the gate, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom