noise gate settings

rectifier

Inspired
how do some of you have your gate set?...i like it on but want to get rid of that crackle,static sound that comes through...i noticed when i cut it back feedback comes through when playing power chords....on factory preset 106 on the standard.. {recto 2 } as well as others.

Not being facetious whatsoever, but I shut it off. Universally. I use the volume knob on the guitar and turn it down when I need to. Even in high gain situations.

Now, granted, I don't play metal!!

IMHO, YMMV.

javajunkie said:
turn the threshold all the way down

+1

Try it and see if you like it; it allows utterly natural decay and though on higher gain you get noise, the trade-off is for me well worth it.

IMHO, YMMV.

yea , ilke it off...because alot of the crackle sound gets caught in the reverb and delay and makes unwanted noise...thanks guys.

I have it set off on my clean and crunch amp patches. On my high gain amp patches I have it set so that it is engaged ONLY when my guitar's volume knob is all the way off and no strings are being played. That way there's no high gain hiss. If I have the volume knob up minutely the gate is off. Works great. I can play "clean" tones on my highgain amp with all the feel still there while having no hiss when I'm not playing.

GREAT Noise gate. 100x better than the gate on my old Digitech GNX3000. The forum for the GNX3k always had an active thread saying "turn the gate off" because it would cut notes off so badly. Great job on the gate, Cliff.

Me, I have it off on all my patches. Don't play metal though. It's one less thing ( the gate ) I have to worry about. YMMV...

The volume block with detection or the gate/expander are a much better option when compared to the "standard" gate... much smoother.

mortega76 said:
The volume block with detection or the gate/expander are a much better option when compared to the "standard" gate... much smoother.
It would be nice if we didn't have to use the volume block or gate/expander to remedy this problem. Their is definitely some aliasing in the the standard gate. It would be great if Cliff could make it adjust smoother. It would be one more step towards Axe-Fx perfection! :cool:

There are times when particularly using the Synths that i want the Gate to slam the moment i stop but there always seems to be an ever so slight decay and i can only put this down to the Release being too slow. There may be a better way to do this but for me, even at the minimum release time of 10ms, the Gate just does not come down quick enough. Pretty sure my old Eventide DSP4000 and G-Force were instantaneous...

I turn it off...I play metal and stuff, still turn it off. I wish there was a global noise gate in the global menu. That way I'd use it on gigs where the wedges are bad and makes my guitar squeal. It happens..

moab said:
mortega76 said:
It would be nice if we didn't have to use the volume block or gate/expander to remedy this problem. Their is definitely some aliasing in the the standard gate. It would be great if Cliff could make it adjust smoother. It would be one more step towards Axe-Fx perfection! :cool:
Well, the Ultra just has a better gate(expander)... and I think it uses more cpu than the default gate. I remember the gate on my Vetta II sounded exactly the same... jumpy. I think you just need to get an Ultra... ;)

mortega76 said:
moab said:
mortega76 said:
Well, the Ultra just has a better gate(expander)... and I think it uses more cpu than the default gate. I remember the gate on my Vetta II sounded exactly the same... jumpy. I think you just need to get an Ultra... ;)

IMO, the vol-envelope-gate is miles better than the regular standard gate. Put it at -80db's and even an old Gibson with stock P90s will be dead silent. The irony of having world class fx and a Behringer gate. ;)

I turned it off too.

I like to use higher gain on most of my patches and roll off the volume pot on the guitar
to clean things up and the gate makes things sound crappy with the guitar signal at a low level.

Much better with it off.

I've never used a noise gate that didn't screw up something I liked in the tone...

moab said:
mortega76 said:

Absolutely! I'd be really happy if the gate available in every preset reacted just like an ISP Decimator! Just one knob for threshold. Simple and extremely effective.

These settings work well for me (UltraFX) for hi gain stuff: Threshold around -60db / 1.70 Ratio / 1000ms Release (no weirdness during fadeout)

~Rad~

Radley said:
These settings work well for me (UltraFX) for hi gain stuff: Threshold around -60db / 1.70 Ratio / 1000ms Release (no weirdness during fadeout)

~Rad~

They are talking about the standard. The Ultra has the fully fledged noise gate w/ side chain ability (like decimator). If you didn't know their is a global noise gate. If your are using the ultras or don't want engaged, go to the layout menu, you will see it there.

Back
Top Bottom