Noise gate settings

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I'm using a noise gate as my first post block due to feedback issues. Can someone suggest attack and release settings to keep it as transparent as possible? Ive never got along well with noise gates and it seems kind of finicky. Like crackly/fizzy when it clamps down. Sometimes if I just bump the strings it opens and feeds back too.

You don't need to use a dedicated block because each preset already comes with a gate.

I'm using a noise gate as my first post block due to feedback issues. Can someone suggest attack and release settings to keep it as transparent as possible? Ive never got along well with noise gates and it seems kind of finicky. Like crackly/fizzy when it clamps down. Sometimes if I just bump the strings it opens and feeds back too.

I am also am have hard time figuring out the gates. It appears they are just not working. I mess with global for pre and add block in post but still get noise from my amp. Also i have a volume pedal and when toe up you still can here low guitar when strumming? To boot when I hit the tuner it does not kill sound? I have switched in setting to off. I am not understanding. The noise is coming from my amp not guitar it is the typical high gain hiss but the gate should take care of that.

I am also am have hard time figuring out the gates. It appears they are just not working. I mess with global for pre and add block in post but still get noise from my amp. Also i have a volume pedal and when toe up you still can here low guitar when strumming? To boot when I hit the tuner it does not kill sound? I have switched in setting to off. I am not understanding. The noise is coming from my amp not guitar it is the typical high gain hiss but the gate should take care of that.

Is your amp's loop series or parallel?

I use a block too because i like to turn it off from time to time when i roll volume down. i dont think the inline one can be turned off via cc, unless that feature got snuck in on me. I cant seem to get a gate setting I like. The new TC gate pedal looks awesome, maybe something like that could get implemented sometime.

Is your amp's loop series or parallel?

yes serial

MB Mark V I'm positive the pregate does not work. I can adjust the thing with no response. Feedback from my guitar should be simple fix. If I have to buy a gate separate I'm going back to my nova system at least the gate works. I'm coming close the the end for this product all I do is mess with settings. I don't get to play anymore. I disconnected the loop completely front of amp only :mad:still feedback no gate. !*&^! adjusting all the dials nothing.:mad:

Last edited:
I have a mesa boogie mark iv. I run the effects send to an ISP Decimator 2 G-String. Problem solved for pre-amp noise. Also tracks guitar, so no change needed for clean channel, basically, it's the shit. Save your fractal for real effects.

A noise gate is not the correct tool for dealing with feedback issues. A noise gate closes when the signal drops below the threshold. So a gate is perfect for killing noises that are quieter than your guitar, like hiss and buzz. Feedback usually increases in level (i.e. it's LOUD).

So...turn it down, lower your gain, tweak your EQ, stand in a different place in the room, or use less compression.

Hope that helps.

What finleysound said is correct... feedback and noise are different. I know the gate works on my FX8, but it only gates noise. No amount of gating will take care of feedback issues. Feedback is generally from using too much gain too close to the amp, or from trying to use too much gain with pickups that are poorly potted. Are you talking about squealing feedback, humming feedback or what. (Poorly potted pickups tend to squeal mirophonically, but if it's just a matter of too much gain too close to the amp, it is usually more of a humming sound... still different from noise.) These are only generalizations, and there are other things that can cause feedback, just sharing what I have experienced over the years with my own guitars. Years ago when I swapped my cheap stock Ibanez pickups out for some decent Tom Anderson's my guitar went from uncontrolled squealing to a controllable hum that only occurred when I would get close to my amp with some pretty loud volume going.

I have a mesa boogie mark iv. I run the effects send to an ISP Decimator 2 G-String. Problem solved for pre-amp noise. Also tracks guitar, so no change needed for clean channel, basically, it's the shit. Save your fractal for real effects.
Yes, even though the gate on the FX8 works OK for me, I picked up the new TC Electronic Sentry Gate which wires up in a similar way and detects the noise directly from the guitar while gating after the preamp. Quite a bit more effective and flexible. I had my eye on the Decimator G-String, but when the new TC came out, I had to give it a try and I like it.

What finleysound said is correct... feedback and noise are different. I know the gate works on my FX8, but it only gates noise. No amount of gating will take care of feedback issues. Feedback is generally from using too much gain too close to the amp, or from trying to use too much gain with pickups that are poorly potted. Are you talking about squealing feedback, humming feedback or what. (Poorly potted pickups tend to squeal mirophonically, but if it's just a matter of too much gain too close to the amp, it is usually more of a humming sound... still different from noise.) These are only generalizations, and there are other things that can cause feedback, just sharing what I have experienced over the years with my own guitars. Years ago when I swapped my cheap stock Ibanez pickups out for some decent Tom Anderson's my guitar went from uncontrolled squealing to a controllable hum that only occurred when I would get close to my amp with some pretty loud volume going.

Thank you for your help.

I was ready to throw the thing through my window. HERE IS THE ISSUE with my machine. This is the 2nd time I was trying to set up (Volume pedal & noise gates) that I spent way to much time tweeking with no response then it dawns on me, reboot just like a computer maybe that will work. Well low and behold it worked. I think I have a bug or something. I should not have to reboot every time I want to set some perimeter. I literally spent more than hour on this gate thing. And yes the pre & post gates have no problem squashing the feedback from my Les Paul and still let me hold a note. I am trying to get away from pedals, not add pedals. I love my KOKO boost in front of my amp but I may have to put it on the shelf. I am still working out this whistle from it. Yesterday I changed out my preamp tubes.Damn I spent a lot of money retooling my gear for this unit (2-EV1, Re-tube amp (7), new cables all the way threw, and a lot of time invested). I still cannot setup tuner to mute when engaged. I don't know if anyone else is having to reboot a lot to make changes? I am done for now complaining..

When the tuner is engaged, go to the CONFIG page to adjust the mute settings. Options are off (no mute), output (mute instantly), and input (allow FX tails).

I've not had to d any rebooting on mine. Are you on the latest firmware? If it persists I would contact customer support. I'm still having a hard time with the gate settings. To be honest I can max or min out the attack and release settings and hear zero difference in how it clamps down. Also if I, playing with my volume rolled down I'm getting some strange distortion. I'm going to play with it some more today. I suspect it's user error but it does seem strange.

I've not had to d any rebooting on mine. Are you on the latest firmware? If it persists I would contact customer support. I'm still having a hard time with the gate settings. To be honest I can max or min out the attack and release settings and hear zero difference in how it clamps down. Also if I, playing with my volume rolled down I'm getting some strange distortion. I'm going to play with it some more today. I suspect it's user error but it does seem strange.[/QUO

That was what mine was doing. No response from anything I adjusted but after I rebooted it all worked?

Yes, even though the gate on the FX8 works OK for me, I picked up the new TC Electronic Sentry Gate which wires up in a similar way and detects the noise directly from the guitar while gating after the preamp. Quite a bit more effective and flexible. I had my eye on the Decimator G-String, but when the new TC came out, I had to give it a try and I like it.

So, how is it? I am actually quite interested in this product. BTW the g-string is amazing, it really is epic, so I'm very interested in how this product stacks up.

So, how is it? I am actually quite interested in this product. BTW the g-string is amazing, it really is epic, so I'm very interested in how this product stacks up.

I don't know how it compares to the G-String, but it is pretty cool and appears to work on a similar concept. It does what it's supposed to do and doesn't seem to cut off sustain, so that's a plus.

How did you wire your Decimator? I've been trying to get mine to work with my fx8 and EVH Stealth head. I get it to work fine with a battery but when I connect the Decimator to an (isolated) power source it behaves oddly. Not smooth at all. Not sure if its the way I have it hooked up or the humbuster cables or something wrong with the Decimator. I've got the gate on the fx 8 working ok but still not as well as the Decimator.

I have the decimator g string and it is wired as follows.

guitar to DEC Guitar IN
DEC Guitar OUT to FX8 INSTR IN
Amp FX SEND to DEC IN
DEC OUT to FX8 "From Amp Send"

I have the decimator g string and it is wired as follows.

guitar to DEC Guitar IN
DEC Guitar OUT to FX8 INSTR IN
Amp FX SEND to DEC IN
DEC OUT to FX8 "From Amp Send"
Thats the way I have mine wired. No issues when its powered with external power v. battery powered? I'm thinking theres something wrong with the decimator.Works great w/ a battery but as soon as I run it off of an adapter even off of an ISO 5 it reacts really weird.

Back
Top Bottom