NO SOUND WITH USB CONNECTION

Are you saying there is latency when you use your presonus for audio in?? Is there latency with anything else plugged in? Have you used your presonus before without latency?

I think there is some confusion in this thread. You can use the Axe II over USB as you would any other USB-connected audio interface. Are your monitors connected to the Axe via Output 1?

Open Audio/MIDI setup - do you see the Axe Fx listed under Audio devices? If so, right click it and select "use device as sound output" (or something like that). Plug your guitar into the front input and play.

I am confused. The question is can the axe be connected via usb to the computer then through the DAW then to the nearfield monitors that are connected to the computer. I do not have the monitors connected to the axe because they are used with the recording software and I am trying not to disconnect everything to use the axe with the computer. SHASHA seems to be using the same products ia am but has them configured properly.

Webb are you disconnecting your studio monitors and connecting them to the axe everytime you travel.

thanks

I am confused. The question is can the axe be connected via usb to the computer then through the DAW then to the nearfield monitors that are connected to the computer. I do not have the monitors connected to the axe because they are used with the recording software and I am trying not to disconnect everything to use the axe with the computer. SHASHA seems to be using the same products ia am but has them configured properly.

Webb are you disconnecting your studio monitors and connecting them to the axe everytime you travel.

thanks

Everytime I travel? I'm not gigging so my Axe II resides comfortably full-time in my studio rack. I have my monitors connected to a Mackie Big Knob, which allows multiple sources to connect to one set (or multiple sets) of monitors. I have my Axe II Output and the Output from another interface (Mackie 400f) both connected to the BK. This way I can play either device through my monitors. But this is probably further confusing your situation.

It sounds like you want to use both the Axe II and the Presonus together. In that case, you need to go to Audio/MIDI setup and create an aggregate device made up of the outs and ins of both interfaces. However, all interfaces do not play nice together, and some people (myself included) have experienced pops, clicks, and dropouts when using an aggregate device.

Have you tried using the Axe II as your sole interface?

The answer is yes, but your software ha to be able to choose a different input and output.

Your input device is the axe fx an the output device is your computer. I don't know if your DAW can do that.

I use Cubase and it cannot have a different input and output device. I have to plug my speakers into the axe if I want to use it to record.

As I said before, to prevent you from changing cables too often, I would suggest using your presonus that is always connected. Just add your axefx and cables from the axe to the presonus. That's assuming your presonus is connected and setup correctly.

I am obviously not a sound engineer. I am a guitar player that plays in multiple venues. Rock Jazz blues and sundays with a praise band. That was the attraction to the axeII. No more gear hassle. However i am tired of front panel editing and have put together a work station with computer audio interface and recording software to expand the use of my rig. Simply stated i understood the usb would be the only connection to the computer. I do not leave the rig connected in a rack. It is on the move constantly. Sorry for the ignorance but as stated I'm a guitarist that only recently has moved to the digital world. Any guidance is appreciated.

The answer is yes, but your software ha to be able to choose a different input and output.

Your input device is the axe fx an the output device is your computer. I don't know if your DAW can do that.

I use Cubase and it cannot have a different input and output device. I have to plug my speakers into the axe if I want to use it to record.

As I said before, to prevent you from changing cables too often, I would suggest using your presonus that is always connected. Just add your axefx and cables from the axe to the presonus. That's assuming your presonus is connected and setup correctly.

Does pro logic have that capability?

You can configure StudioOne to record from the AxeFXII and use the audio interface to monitor; I do it and it works great. There are some differences in our systems, but I'll try to walk you through it as best I can.

What you need to do first off is create an aggregate device with your audio interface and the AxeFXII. That's about as far as I can take you in Mac land because I have on idea how to do it, but I am doing a similar thing with ASIO4All in Win7. This basically allows you to record with one audio device and then route the audio output to another one. Aggregate device, look it up and you will have the big stunbling block out of the way.

After that is done we have to figure out how exactly you plan on recording. I use analog for wet and the USB for dry. I know that I could use the USB for both, but I've done A/B comparisons and all kinds of other crap and to be perfecly honest the analog output sounds great, my audio interface keeps it nice and clean and more importantly it's very low latency and I don't have to worry about jitter, drops or pops or whatever that 'can' happen with digital. It just works for me. If you do go with analog make sure that you use balanced audio if you can because it is a lot cleaner. If you are just using USB then just hook the cable up.

Open up StudioOne (S1 from this point forward). Create a new song at 48kHz, 24-bit.

Next thing is to configure your audio I/O from within S1. This is where the aggregate stuff becomes important. Click on StudioOne -> Options and then the Audio tab. You should see one 'device' and all of your inputs from the audio interface and then the AxeFXII (it will probably be stereo). Go ahead and add 2 more stereo channels from the bottom. We're going to select 1/2 from the audio interface for the first one, AxeFXII 1/2 for the second one and AxeFXII for the third one. I would go ahead and double click on the names of each and give it a good name so you know what they are later. Open up the Output tab and it should already be on your audio interface left and right already.

Now this is where you are going to have to know your audio interface a bit more indepth because the output channels you select here (usually 1/2) will have to be what you are using to monitor with from within you mixer app.

OK, now right click in the track area and add a stereo track. You should see the name for the default audio device; click on that and select the AxeFXII 1/2 or 3/4 (I can't remember which one is wet and which is dry). Hit the record enable button and you should here something at this point from your audio interface.

Once you get to this point let me know and we'll see how things are going. There are some other things that we can do in there depending on how well it works at this point. We aren't set up for zero latency monitoring yet so if there is some delay don't freak out. I just want to make sure that you get to the point where you can record and monitor before we get deeper.

This thread has me sort of confused. I am a noob II owner.
Am I correct in this thinking?
Guitar>Axe Fx II>USB to MAC>LOGIC DAW>Logic then provides the audio output to where I choose(AXE II as output or Monitors)

Now when I go AXE II>USB>MAC>Axe Edit> Where should my sound come from?

Is this what the OP is asking?

I sold my Apogee One so I can use the AXE II as my interface. This will work?

You can configure StudioOne to record from the AxeFXII and use the audio interface to monitor; I do it and it works great. There are some differences in our systems, but I'll try to walk you through it as best I can.

What you need to do first off is create an aggregate device with your audio interface and the AxeFXII. That's about as far as I can take you in Mac land because I have on idea how to do it, but I am doing a similar thing with ASIO4All in Win7. This basically allows you to record with one audio device and then route the audio output to another one. Aggregate device, look it up and you will have the big stunbling block out of the way.

After that is done we have to figure out how exactly you plan on recording. I use analog for wet and the USB for dry. I know that I could use the USB for both, but I've done A/B comparisons and all kinds of other crap and to be perfecly honest the analog output sounds great, my audio interface keeps it nice and clean and more importantly it's very low latency and I don't have to worry about jitter, drops or pops or whatever that 'can' happen with digital. It just works for me. If you do go with analog make sure that you use balanced audio if you can because it is a lot cleaner. If you are just using USB then just hook the cable up.

Open up StudioOne (S1 from this point forward). Create a new song at 48kHz, 24-bit.

Next thing is to configure your audio I/O from within S1. This is where the aggregate stuff becomes important. Click on StudioOne -> Options and then the Audio tab. You should see one 'device' and all of your inputs from the audio interface and then the AxeFXII (it will probably be stereo). Go ahead and add 2 more stereo channels from the bottom. We're going to select 1/2 from the audio interface for the first one, AxeFXII 1/2 for the second one and AxeFXII for the third one. I would go ahead and double click on the names of each and give it a good name so you know what they are later. Open up the Output tab and it should already be on your audio interface left and right already.

Now this is where you are going to have to know your audio interface a bit more indepth because the output channels you select here (usually 1/2) will have to be what you are using to monitor with from within you mixer app.

OK, now right click in the track area and add a stereo track. You should see the name for the default audio device; click on that and select the AxeFXII 1/2 or 3/4 (I can't remember which one is wet and which is dry). Hit the record enable button and you should here something at this point from your audio interface.

Once you get to this point let me know and we'll see how things are going. There are some other things that we can do in there depending on how well it works at this point. We aren't set up for zero latency monitoring yet so if there is some delay don't freak out. I just want to make sure that you get to the point where you can record and monitor before we get deeper.

Ok I've got some homework to do. Thank you so much for the long answer because it addresses the what I thought was a simple question.(obviously not) Ill reply when I have addressed the issues you have addressed. I have been in dialogue with the guys at presonus and this info will help me explain what I'm trying to do as well. They are clueless. As stated I'm am not an audio engineer ( however I am a surgeon) so if you need some medical advice my door is open.
Thanks again.

the main source of confusion here is that you aren't sticking with just 1 audio interface, which is the best way to go. to save on moving cables around, you want to use the USB in from the axe and the speaker out from the computer <-- that's 2 different sources.

it would be easier if the axe did both the in and out, but this means you would plug your speakers into the axe, which you don't want to do.

i just don't understand why you don't just plug your axe-fx analog outputs into your presonus interface. when you're done, just unplug the axe and even leave the cables in the presonus. do your gigs or whatever, then when the axe comes back in, just plug in those cables again. that's the least amount of work. i prefer to record my axe via analog outs and not the axe USB.

does your presonus interface work?

the main source of confusion here is that you aren't sticking with just 1 audio interface, which is the best way to go. to save on moving cables around, you want to use the USB in from the axe and the speaker out from the computer <-- that's 2 different sources.

it would be easier if the axe did both the in and out, but this means you would plug your speakers into the axe, which you don't want to do.

i just don't understand why you don't just plug your axe-fx analog outputs into your presonus interface. when you're done, just unplug the axe and even leave the cables in the presonus. do your gigs or whatever, then when the axe comes back in, just plug in those cables again. that's the least amount of work. i prefer to record my axe via analog outs and not the axe USB.

does your presonus interface work?
Yes it works. I guess to do my editing with axe edit I will then need to connect the usb and the analog outs. THat may be the easiest solution.

Yes, that is the easiest! Adding one or two more cables in addition to the USB isn't really that much work ya know...

Ideally you want to edit your patches using the same speakers you play gigs with, and you can't do that through USB anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom