no need for cabs and amps ?

chopshop777

Inspired
if you are running your axe fx into a guitar cabinet i.e. diezel herbert, you shut the amp and cab sims off so turn the SAG control to zero. so in that case you don't get to experience the different amps like the Mesa boogies and the Engl Energyball and stuff ? so you use the ultra only for effects only ? pretty lame.

chopshop777 said:
if you are running your axe fx into a guitar cabinet i.e. diezel herbert, you shut the amp and cab sims off so turn the SAG control to zero. so in that case you don't get to experience the different amps like the Mesa boogies and the Engl Energyball and stuff ? so you use the ultra only for effects only ? pretty lame.
Sag at 0 defeats the POWER amp sim (not the PREAMP sim.)

chopshop777 said:

There are global settings for defeating power amp and cabs. The poweramp defeat is there for people who are running into a tube power amp at the fx returns. Far from lame, it allows a way to get preamp tones of several amps w/o having to use their power amp section. Running a the power amp modeling of the axe-fx into a tube power amp is like taking a line level of your diezel speaker output and putting that into the effects loop return of a marshall tube amp. It will massively alter the tone. That axe-fx give a way to defeat it's virtual simulation so you only have one tube poweramp section in the chain. You loose some control on the axe-fx, but if you want that using a neutral poweramp (like a PA amp) is the way to go.

javajunkie said:
There are global settings for defeating power amp and cabs. The poweramp defeat is there for people who are running into a tube power amp at the fx returns. Far from lame, it allows a way to get preamp tones of several amps w/o having to use their power amp section. Running a the power amp modeling of the axe-fx into a tube power amp is like taking a line level of your diezel speaker output and putting that into the effects loop return of a marshall tube amp. It will massively alter the tone. That axe-fx give a way to defeat it's virtual simulation so you only have one tube poweramp section in the chain. You loose some control on the axe-fx, but if you want that using a neutral poweramp (like a PA amp) is the way to go.

Java can you elaborate on doing this? I recall you helping me use the Ultra fx loop with my MP-1. Are you saying use this as well with a tube amp? Currently I run a 2/50/2 into the Ultra with amps/cabs not using a loop.

finstah said:
javajunkie said:

Java can you elaborate on doing this? I recall you helping me use the Ultra fx loop with my MP-1. Are you saying use this as well with a tube amp? Currently I run a 2/50/2 into the Ultra with amps/cabs not using a loop.

The vht 2/50/2 was designed to be used w/ a preamp and serve as a tube power amp. It has presence and depth that effect the tone. Also if driven the vht will distort especially used in class a mode. I'm not saying it can't sound good, but it will significantly color the tone.

I have only run my axe-fx w/ my VHT a couple of times so I haven't messed much with it.

Right now my globals are set to none without an fx loop and I dig the tone.

From memory I thought I had the FXloop as the first in the chain correct? Any other things that would need to be done? I'd love to A/B this and any steps you could provide would be extremely helpful.

finstah said:
Right now my globals are set to none without an fx loop and I dig the tone.

From memory I thought I had the FXloop as the first in the chain correct? Any other things that would need to be done? I'd love to A/B this and any steps you could provide would be extremely helpful.
wiring:
guitar to axe-fx input
axefx output 2 to ADA pre input
ADA output to axefx input 2
Axefx output 1 to VHT input

routing in axefx:

ADA pre w/ axefx effects:
-fx loop-chorus-reverb-etc-to output 1

Axe-fx as a pre w/ effects (no mp1):
-amp block - chorus- reverb-etc. - to output

ADA w/ Axe-fx effects in front:
-drive-chorus-fx loop-reverb-to output

This allows you to use the mp1 ot the axe-fx when you want in a patch. It pretty much just turns your mp1 into another fx block that you can route anywhere.

You could even have the Axe-fx amp block and mp1 going at the same time in a patch.

Back
Top Bottom