No More Decimals

nota

I'm OCD, I admit it. I like even numbers or whole numbers. I wish there was a way to make all the parameters whole numbers! I don't even care if I lose resolution, I'd just rather my dial say "7" instead of "7.03" or whatever. A nice 1-10 would be nice for most parameters.

In analog world you go from a value to another in continuum. We NEED decimals! More and more and more.

Cliff is trying to give you parameters that real amps dont, so you can surpass what the real model can do. The axe is a tone shaping tool, not a strict modeler.

Where's the poll?

nota said:
I'm OCD, I admit it. I like even numbers or whole numbers. I wish there was a way to make all the parameters whole numbers! I don't even care if I lose resolution, I'd just rather my dial say "7" instead of "7.03" or whatever. A nice 1-10 would be nice for most parameters.
I would have to disagree. While it is unfortunate if this diminishes the enjoyability of your user experience, I believe those fractions are a consequence of the underlying binary code and adding code to mask them would be a waste of time and resources. Restricting "most" parameters to integers 1-10 as you say would certainly not be nice. It would unnecessarily limit the unit's tone shaping capability and require an unprecedented amount of re-tweaking with all current presets.

nota said:
I'm OCD, I admit it.

Get treatment. Just don't expect the rest of us to "have to suffer" through your problem.

There are good reasons why there are decimals. If you don't like it round-up or round-down. Maybe you could even turn the rounding into your next OCD ritual. Then everyone wns ! Horaaayyy

I haven't seen an analogue amp yet that only has 1,2,3...10/11 and no in-between settings.

Maybe there could be a special ocd version that multiplies all values by 2000. E.g. 5.707 becomes 11,414. All nice and even :) Of course that feature wouldn't be available until version 11.0 ;)

nota said:
I'm not even sure why I reply..., but just to be sure, you want 1-10 and nothing inbetween ? So gain of an amp would have 10 single steps ? If however you'd want each of these ten step devided by another ten, e.g. 1.01, 1.02 etc. then I may be in. Don't think it's doable though or maybe Cliff just has a thing for numbers like 3.35, 4.43 and so on :lol:

Seriously, please leave the numbers alone, unless it is as per VegaBaby's suggestion, but to three decimals! I assume you are asking for the same current tweaking resolution, but only display whole numbers??? Either way, sometimes I'd rather see what changes I have made numerically, just in case...but rule no.1 - use yer ears!!! In your case, close your eyes...and use yer ears! Don't mean to make light, but come on!

I bet Cliff's eyes are rolling around and around after reading this topic!

Maybe fractions would suit you better? True story, a friend of mine would only deal in halfs, quarters, eigths and sixteenths, but he got totally busted by the police and got eigtheen months in prison! :lol:

VegaBaby said:
nota said:
I'm not even sure why I reply..., but just to be sure, you want 1-10 and nothing inbetween ? So gain of an amp would have 10 single steps ? If however you'd want each of these ten step devided by another ten, e.g. 1.01, 1.02 etc. then I may be in. Don't think it's doable though or maybe Cliff just has a thing for numbers like 3.35, 4.43 and so on :lol:

The values have to do with whether they are 8 bit or 16 bit stored variables. They don't really subdivide into pretty decimal numbers. He could have rounded the values but then there would be less precision.

As someone stated a few posts back-analog amps have these-meaning they do not click to a number-there is plenty of "in between" 2 numbers. You just don't see read outs but I remember my Musicman amp I used 5 1/2 and 6 3/4-same thing except I had to guess to get back to where I was. I like the decimals also. I know exactly where I was.

Ture, real amps do have 1-10 markings but you can stop anywhere in between,
on the AxeFx you don't have dedicated pots for each value and that's why you have decimals, all good. ;)

Back
Top Bottom