no instant gratification

mitch236 said:
I have the editor and I hope I can get my MBox2 pro to interface. But will the changes made in the editor change the Axe as I'm dialing the values or do I need to upload every time I change a parameter? In other words, does the editor communicate in real time?

The editor communicates in real time. What you tweak is what the FX plays. Once you have a patch set the way you want it, you can store in the FX. It's an indispensable tool when it comes to dialing in patches.

As for the OP's original problem, turn the cab sims off. I run my FX through a guitar cab, and I turned the cab sims off globally (GLOBAL > right nav button the CABINET, value to BYPASSED). I tried it with the cab sims on, and it sounded just like what you're describing.

Trust me, the learning curve seeems steep now, but it doesn't take long at all to get comfortable with it and start getting some great sounds from it. Just don't be afraid to really dig into tweaking it. You're not going to hurt anything.

thanks for all the input guys,,it really helps !!...im getting the hang of it now...this is the first time my fingers have actually burned in a long time.. :mrgreen: ....i think amp voice has alot to do with what im looking for...i never thought i would like the energyball but it has alot of what im looking for.....one question though...if i try to replace a cab with _none_ it loses signal...so for a blank space you have to use a shunt right?

rectifier said:
thanks for all the input guys,,it really helps !!...im getting the hang of it now...this is the first time my fingers have actually burned in a long time.. :mrgreen: ....i think amp voice has alot to do with what im looking for...i never thought i would like the energyball but it has alot of what im looking for.....one question though...if i try to replace a cab with _none_ it loses signal...so for a blank space you have to use a shunt right?

You need a shunt on an empty block.

Welcome to Axe FX world.................................it gets more amazing the more you dig into it. :mrgreen:

rectifier said:

shunt correct or just bypass the effect. There is a global parameter that makes it even easier. You can turn the cab sims off globally. hit the global button on the axe-fx.

The majority of factory patches won't sound good with your setup (They're designed for going direct). Also if you're running your setup mono. Stereo effects outputs summed together will cause "phase canceling" witch will make your tone sound thin (the enhancer is the most common culprit for this example.).

The best thing to do is what everyone else has suggested, start making patches from scratch. Start with the amp blocks first dial it in, then move to the effects blocks (pan effects blocks appropriately if running mono.) and the rest should be smooth sailing. ;)

It's also very important to set the Input 1 gain so that it lights the red LED on your hardest playing - this is usually around 2:00 - 3:00 for most guitars. Turn the cabs off globally for now, and then set up your levels & EQ. The cab blocks do add a good bit of gain/volume, if you A/B compare within a patch as you did yes it will sound louder with the cab enabled, but will generally sound better through a guitar cab with no cab sim - you just need to tweak & EQ for your particular rig.

I didn't believe it at first that I should start with creating my own patches from scratch. I figured I could take the lazy way out and use a patch from someone else that I liked and make it fit with my setup. I know now, it can be done, but that wasn't getting me too far.

One day I set up a blank preset and started with only an amp sim. From there I figured out how to expand it to two amp sims. split into stereo to my poweramp and two 4x12's. That's when the fun really began for me. :cool: I now have a folder on my computer filled with dual amp patches (the same amp eq'd different on each side and two different amps). I go into a tube poweramp so I don't have to have cab sims. on.

So, when I want to get a certain sound, I can load one of MY patches and know that sound will be there. Then I can add to it whatever fx I think it needs. A lot of patches I downloaded, didn't sound good with my setup. I bet they sound great on the gear of the person that created the patch though.

Once you get more familiar with the Axe-Fx you will figure out how to adjust it to fit your gear. Some presets are fine the way they are and only need minor adjustments (there is one that sounds exactly like the clean intro to Metallica's "Welcome Home") but take some time and try building your own patches from the ground up.

thanks again guys for excellent info,,i got some excellent patches going now thanks to everyone...i will bombard everybody with questions again when i decide what controller to use...yet another challenge... :twisted:

FractalAudio said:
TURN OFF THE CAB MODELING!!!

That is all...

Why don't I seem to get a good sound without the cab models on? I'm running through the return on a Mesa with el-34s and a 2x12 with g12h30s. The high end seems waaay too fizzy. Is this a "start from scratch scenario" or a "try new gear" scenario... or a "leave the cabs on" thing?

aksman said:
FractalAudio said:
TURN OFF THE CAB MODELING!!!

That is all...

Why don't I seem to get a good sound without the cab models on? I'm running through the return on a Mesa with el-34s and a 2x12 with g12h30s. The high end seems waaay too fizzy. Is this a "start from scratch scenario" or a "try new gear" scenario... or a "leave the cabs on" thing?

have you compared A/B with a real tube amp on the same cab?
think you'll find a tube head has this same 'fizzyness'

Back
Top Bottom