No global blocks on FM9 deal breaker for Axe III user

Big +1 on the topic. As soon as the FM3/9 gets global blocks, I'll buy one of those. The III is too expensive for me (at least an FC6 is mandatory and adds additional costs) and I want to go smaller with my gear, so the FM9 or FM3 (yet to decide) would be perfect, but global blocks are an essential feature imho.

Cliff has every right to design the machines as he sees fit, but I highly disagree on the decision to have global blocks exclusively on the 19" machines. I haven't read that statement, but in case that's true the Gen3 machines aren't for me and I'll stick to the II or have to look elsewhere for a smaller gear.

I expect that my next upgrade will be the next generation unit, whenever that happens.

Side note: What generation are we on now? It's tempting to consider this Gen 3 because well... "AxeFX III", but is that accurate? How does the Ultra fit in? 🤔
Yeah, I’m waiting, because A. the FM9T is amazing and does what I need (actually, the FM3 would), and B. Cliff would drop and AxeIV right after I place an AxeIII order, because that’s my luck. :D

Sorry guys and girls but I don’t see what the problem is. If you want the big boy features then buy the big boy toys. The FM9 is amazing - no it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles (and extra Pitch blocks) that the III does but I can fit my FM9 rig in a backpack no bigger than my kids use for school books. If you’re a III user enjoy what you have an and stop gassing for more toys maybe…

Just a thought

Sorry guys and girls but I don’t see what the problem is. If you want the big boy features then buy the big boy toys. The FM9 is amazing - no it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles (and extra Pitch blocks) that the III does but I can fit my FM9 rig in a backpack no bigger than my kids use for school books. If you’re a III user enjoy what you have an and stop gassing for more toys maybe…

Just a thought
certainly the voice of wisdom....

Just a thought

The FM9 is a "big boy toy" too. Just in a different form factor. Yes, it has less processing power than the III and that means certain functions and signal chains from the III will never be possible on it. So, in that respect, you are right, no sense moaning about those constraints.

IMO that doesn't automatically dictate that FM9 users should just assume that a feature that is currently only on the III can never make it to the FM9 though. Some will, and some won't. Ideally, the features that don't make it to the FM9 should be driven by processing limitations on the FM9. I don't believe they hamstring the FM9 to drive III sales. I think Fractal tries to give the FM9 all the capability they can as long as it does not compromise its performance.

Last edited:
I’m hoping to be able to make use the Song / Setlist feature if and when the FM9 update introduces gapless presets. I’m then planning to use just a few ‘core’ patches that I’ll link to. So whilst not exactly the same as having Global blocks, at least any required tweaks I make to the underlying presets will get automatically reflected across the board for my set list.

I’m hoping to be able to make use the Song / Setlist feature if and when the FM9 update introduces gapless presets. I’m then planning to use just a few ‘core’ patches that I’ll link to. So whilst not exactly the same as having Global blocks, at least any required tweaks I make to the underlying presets will get automatically reflected across the board for my set list.
This would be a real work around IMO. Good call

You could always use the Batch Setter utility with the Fractool app?
When you're on stage and adjusting things at soundcheck or worse, during the gig, pulling out a laptop, plugging in the FM9, launching an app, and going through multiple steps editing presets is not ideal. Adjusting the EQ on your amp because the room is a little boomy, saving the preset and having it automatically populate to all linked ones is ideal.

When you're on stage and adjusting things at soundcheck or worse, during the gig, pulling out a laptop, plugging in the FM9, launching an app, and going through multiple steps editing presets is not ideal. Adjusting the EQ on your amp because the room is a little boomy, saving the preset and having it automatically populate to all linked ones is ideal.
I do it all the time I just make the fans wait :tearsofjoy:

You're absolutely right though. Global Blocks would be great.

You can get something similar with Sets/Songs in FM9. This lets you reuse patches and scenes in different sections of different songs. Any changes in the patches or scenes are inherited in all songs that use them.

You can get something similar with Sets/Songs in FM9. This lets you reuse patches and scenes in different sections of different songs. Any changes in the patches or scenes are inherited in all songs that use them.
The downside is that you're stuck reusing the same patch. The real power of global blocks is that it actually works to overcome the CPU limitations of the FM9 (and FM3). I have a couple of nearly identical presets, as far as amps, cabs, compressors, etc, go, but with different effects. I can't have them all in one kitchen-sink preset because there isn't enough CPU power to do it so I spread out the effects over multiple patches. With global blocks linking my amps, cabs, etc, together it sort of turns it all into one super patch. If I adjust my amp settings in one, it would automatically update the amp settings in all of the other presets at the same time.

The downside is that you're stuck reusing the same patch. The real power of global blocks is that it actually works to overcome the CPU limitations of the FM9 (and FM3). I have a couple of nearly identical presets, as far as amps, cabs, compressors, etc, go, but with different effects. I can't have them all in one kitchen-sink preset because there isn't enough CPU power to do it so I spread out the effects over multiple patches. With global blocks linking my amps, cabs, etc, together it sort of turns it all into one super patch. If I adjust my amp settings in one, it would automatically update the amp settings in all of the other presets at the same time.
this is also how I work....after Gapless switching, the global blocks would make the FM9 almost perfect!

Back
Top Bottom