No global blocks on FM9 deal breaker for Axe III user

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I have the Axe II and the FM3. I had the FM9 but lack of global blocks was a deal breaker for me with the FM9. I did not expect the FM3 to have it, but the FM9 I thought it would and should. Also the lack of mk II with larger screens is also crushing my will to go back to a FM9. FM3 has larger and the FM9 does not......yet.

Obviously the flagship is the flagship....but just my 2 cents.

Here's to hoping this is the reason for the delay in a beta release. Maybe the FM9 will get all the goods at once! I'm no programmer/coder, but I would have thought that the FM9 would at least start receiving some incremental betas as features were implemented.
I do see your point on the larger displays as it would be nice since there is a lot of space available for them. Personally for me it's not a deal breaker yet as the form factor makes up for it.

After having all of them; I have settled on the III for home to receive that constant drip and the FM3 will be for live work.

The FM9 is AWESOME if you are going all direct/silent stage or all modeler w/FRFR on stage. The FM3 allows a little more portability (though it is a chunky little buddy) and lets me add other stuff to the mix that I can't drop for gigging purposes.

After having all of them; I have settled on the III for home to receive that constant drip and the FM3 will be for live work.

The FM9 is AWESOME if you are going all direct/silent stage or all modeler w/FRFR on stage. The FM3 allows a little more portability (though it is a chunky little buddy) and lets me add other stuff to the mix that I can't drop for gigging purposes.
I understand the FM9 is quite a bit larger than the FM3 but why could you not throw your favourite drive or comp into that as well - and have all the benefits of more power and more switches?

I expect that my next upgrade will be the next generation unit, whenever that happens.

Side note: What generation are we on now? It's tempting to consider this Gen 3 because well... "AxeFX III", but is that accurate? How does the Ultra fit in? 🤔

It’s a really cool feature TBH, but I don’t have an fx3 and still I can use my FM9 in every gig without that feature. I guess people having both of the them (fx3 and FM9) just have to use different approaches. It’s not the end of the world :)

I really miss them from the AxeFX II. I can't believe such an incredibly useful feature still hasn't been added to either the FM3 or the FM9 after all these years. Especially on the FM3 where, due to CPU limits, I've had to make duplicate patches with differing effects. When I make a change to the amp or cab or whatever block is the same across all the presets I have to go in and copy and paste multiple times across multiple presets. It's such a time sink and global blocks would completely eliminate that issue.

When I make a change to the amp or cab or whatever block is the same across all the presets I have to go in and copy and paste multiple times across multiple presets.
Most parameters can be copied across multiple presets by doing a Shift + Right Click on said parameter. You can then copy across channels and presets. or Mac, it may be a different function.

I can totally see this feature as being utilized more on the floor units (if it was available) for the small to medium venue people. Seems like it is a good practical use case. I wonder how often the larger venue players who use the III really need to make adjustments according to the room.
Not saying there are not rack models used in small to medium venues. But willing to bet the floor units are used more. And this feels like the most likely reason to use the function. I have no basis for this assumption, other than a practical hunch…

I can totally see this feature as being utilized more on the floor units (if it was available) for the small to medium venue people. Seems like it is a good practical use case. I wonder how often the larger venue players who use the III really need to make adjustments according to the room.
Not saying there are not rack models used in small to medium venues. But willing to bet the floor units are used more. And this feels like the most likely reason to use the function. I have no basis for this assumption, other than a practical hunch…

I gig all the time in small to medium venues (solo guitar, jazz combos, big bands, wedding bands, local rock shows, etc) and back when I was lugging around my AxeFx II I used global blocks all the time. I was already invested in the II when the AX8 came out but when the FM3/FM9 came out it was a no-brainer to switch to that form factor when I jumped to the new generation. I was very disappointed to find out that global blocks were not available and I still spend so much time updating tweaks across presets as I need to adjust things from gig to gig. It's actually forced me to take less advantage of what the units can do in terms of effects in order to have fewer, simpler patches.

I have an axe fx 3, and i use the global blocks a lot to save time when tweaking. It is a huge time saver. I am currently saving up to buy a FM9 because of the form factor and easy road life. I really hope this function is added at some point. It makes the tweaking time so much less and so much more rewarding! I know there are workarounds, but global blocks is the way to go with both FM3 and the FM9. Great units all of them, but I wish..

Back
Top Bottom