No Doubt - Just a Girl

pamisano

Inspired
Anybody tried recreating the synth part at the beginning of the guitar lick for the song Just a Girl by No Doubt?

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Pete

When I had my Boss GT3, i used a Flange & Phaser at the same time, Had it at a depth and rate that for the duration of that note would essentially only move through half of the width of the effect...does that make sense? I would trigger it by using the controller button on the unit as a temporary button, not a 'latching' button. So when I stepped on the button, it turned the effect on, when I stepped off, it turned it off. I just had to tap my foot to the beat essentially...

I like the momentary trigger, that's a cool idea. However I am still a bit unclear on how you were able to replicate the actual effect. Any additional detail you could provide?

Here is the patch I use for that song, it may be a little woofy after the v11/12 upgrades and really have not had a chance to go back and take a glance at it.
JustAGirl.syx

Sorry, this was from a practice session ages ago (no idea what firmware version) when first learning the song but being the only example I have of how it sounds please excuse how crappy it is.
justagirl.mp3

What I was explaining Pamisano...is the effect is only 'on' during that one note. Hence why a momentary trigger is best in my eyes to turn it on/off. That being said its only on for a split second. So with some painstaking time consuming tweaking.....I was able to play with the depth/rate parameters enough so that when I would turn it on and hit that note, it was making 1/2 of its sweep. Only thing of course is that unless you have the effects set to a patch BPM settings and you play to that BPM every time, it will never be fully in sync so you will never get the actual half sweep to sound perfect with the timing of the picking of the note, but as long as that first note is 'effected' and the rest are straight amp sound, then I think it works fine.

does that clear it up?

If not, usually flanger/phasers have a full sweep....starts at 0, goes to 100, then back to 0 (for ease of explanation). The idea is to set the rate/depth so that it hits half of that during the duration the effects are turned on. as I stated unless you play with a click track and program the bpm of the song perfectly, you may get results that sound like they are starting at 25, hitting 100, then ending 75.....next time might be starting at 40, going to 60, ending 50....because the effects are still moving at the set parameters even though they are 'off'.

Ok, yeah, I was mostly interested in the settings. So I'll have to play with the depth/rate settings. Is there any kind of settings in the phaser that need to be different in the flanger?

Thanks!

I honestly have no idea, I last played that song 10 years ago, with a Boss GT3 floor unit....thats how I achieved it back then. Its a trial and error thing, at least for me it was....I have 3 shows in 4 days this week, if I get a chance to play with a patch, I can try and upload the settings...I only have the GEN 1 Ultra, so you probably can't load my patch directly

So I got a momentary switch, set it up as switch 3 on 3/4 port on the MFC-101 and tied it to a Formant block. I think the formant block is closer to the synth sound on the album, than phase/flange. I am still tweaking the sound, but it works like a charm.

Thanks for the ideas, Kid!

I've never really tried to duplicate that sound 100% exact. I just came up with a chorus/reverb efect on my Gmajor that sounded good. As long as I hit the right notes, it was all fine. Other than one or two other people in the crowd anyways, no one could tell if I matched the effect or not.

joe...

Yeah, I've played it without any effect for a while, but now that I have the option to implement the effect, I definitely want to take advantage of it. Now it's a matter of perfecting the effect and the Formant block is the closest I've found. I never messed with effect so much until getting the AxeFx, so it's a learning process as much as techie/geeky tinkering and musically trying to get that "tone".

Hi Pamisano - any chance you have a reasonable patch you can upload? Old song but a good one! What sort of momentary pedal did you use if you can remember?

Back
Top Bottom