NND - New Neck Day

iaresee

Administrator
Time to swap out that baseball bat neck that came on my Ed O'Brien Strat with a '59 carve Warmoth neck I've had sitting in my closet for far too long. That project guitar isn't getting done so I figured it was put to better use on the Ed O'Brien which I use frequently.

But first! It needed some tuning machines and why not a decal while I'm working up there, right?

IMG_0157.jpeg

Just getting it placed nice before I smooth it out and pin it down.

Those backwards tuners threw me for a loop! Interesting look.
Are they? Huh. Weird. I thought they were pulling the wrong way! I must have ordered them for an inverted headstock? ¯\(ツ)/¯ Had them here and I thought I’d got them for this neck.

Edit: guess I ordered left hand tuners on accident. Meh. Works.

930A02BF-8F5C-4409-A940-25B38872C86A.jpeg

Last edited:
I never understood the appeal of the baseball bat necks. I can get it that when you start out on them you learn to work with them and get used to them. But every time I go from a thick neck to a thin one it feels like coming home after having walked all day and I can kick off my shoes. Or that feeling you get when you REALLY have to pee and you can finally let go. Man those thin necks feel so deliciously comfy after you've played a baseball bat neck.

As an extra bonus you now also have 22 frets instead of 21. :sunglasses:

I never understood the appeal of the baseball bat necks. I can get it that when you start out on them you learn to work with them and get used to them. But every time I go from a thick neck to a thin one it feels like coming home after having walked all day and I can kick off my shoes. Or that feeling you get when you REALLY have to pee and you can finally let go. Man those thin necks feel so deliciously comfy after you've played a baseball bat neck.
If someone had big hands, I could see a big neck feeling good. The EOB neck was massive.

I like something in between. The '59 carve from Warmoth mirrors my '95 PRS Standard 24's neck carve which, to my hands, is utterly perfect. Has some shape to it, but not too much. I don't really like a super flat neck like on my JEM or my Schecter Strat. They're fine, but not my ideal.
As an extra bonus you now also have 22 frets instead of 21. :sunglasses:
Good eye. It very conveniently fit over top of the pickguard. I was worried I'd have to shave a bit of the guard off but the overhang for the 22nd fret worked with it.

Time to swap out that baseball bat neck that came on my Ed O'Brien Strat with a '59 carve Warmoth neck I've had sitting in my closet for far too long. That project guitar isn't getting done so I figured it was put to better use on the Ed O'Brien which I use frequently.

But first! It needed some tuning machines and why not a decal while I'm working up there, right?

View attachment 62707

I love the name of your strat... :)

View attachment 62707

Gotta love Earvana nuts....

Gotta love Earvana nuts....
I honestly can’t tell the difference. Intonation was the same procedure I've always followed: tune string, check 12th fret harmonic, adust saddle until both open string and harmonic are in tune at the same time. Sounds the same. G-string doesn't bind on it, so that's nice.

Back
Top Bottom