NL12 vs Q12 vs active CLR? Help

echo44

Inspired
Ok so I currently run my Axe FX 2 through rcf sma 12

To me the tone is a little too polished, sometimes brittle, sterile
not easy to put into words but i am sure a lot of you guys know what I am talking about.

So I am thinking of changing up my rig
my choices include
NL12 plus buying a matrix amp
Q12 plus Matrix amp
or active CLR which I am on the waiting list

Or if you have any other ideas chime in.

What I am looking to emulate is a loud amp in the room sound for playing live

It sucks that you cant just walk into a store and try these options out for your self.

It would be great if some reviewer got a hold of the various options and did a side by side comparison.

A lot of people here put up helpful reviews but they usually don't have a reference point to compare with
such as " I owned the CLR now I own the Neo nl12 "

For your "loud amp in the room" requirement the "NL12 plus buying a matrix amp" option is the one to go for....

I owned all three and still own two of them.

Q12 & NL12 powered by Matrix GT1000
CLR Active

Personally I prefer the passive Q12/GT1000 combination as well as the NL12 over the active CLR.

To me the Q12/GT1000 felt and sounded more like a real cab. I also found the bass on the CLR to be more pronounced than the Q12 (or the bass on the Q12 less pronounced than the CLR :roll)

The Q12/Gt1000 was also easier for me to dial in.

The NL12 is a completely different animal. I recently purchased two of them.

I am completely blown away by how good they sound and how light they are.

They sound good with cab sims on and off (although I intend to use with the cab sims off).

If you want the complete in room feel and tone of a real cab vs a monitor -- then you should consider the NL12.

If you are looking for a more processed "studio" sound --- I would stick with monitors.

Here is a link to my NL12 thread

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/72766-toruk-has-landed.html

I plan on gigging them next sat.

Lot of folks around here really dig the CLR as well as Xitone -- If possible I really recommend trying as many of the options available for yourself.

Most of these companies offer 2 week trial periods.

Take advantage of the trial periods.

I did :mrgreen

Last edited:
I live in Chicago,
another consideration according to my calculations
the NL12 x2 plus a matrix GT1000 = aprox $1600
Two active CLR =$2000

Now I wouldn't mind paying an extra $400 if the sound quality was worth it ( i realize that is subjective)

The matrix does also have the advantage of being more flexible as could also be used as a cab with my conventional tube amps as well

The other question with the NL12 is how do they color sound? As I have become more seasoned I have realized how critical the speaker and cab combos are to sound
as much if not greater than the type of amp you are using. Example I have experimented with different speakers and its night and day comparing lets say a celestian
vs a greenback vs alnico etc. Do the NL12 have their own sound are they closer to a Jensen or a celestian etc?

daFcMWP.jpg

I live in Chicago,
Two active CLR =$2000

Now I wouldn't mind paying an extra $400 if the sound quality was worth it ( i realize that is subjective)

The matrix does also have the advantage of being more flexible as could also be used as a cab with my conventional tube amps as well

The other question with the NL12 is how do they color sound? As I have become more seasoned I have realized how critical the speaker and cab combos are to sound
as much if not greater than the type of amp you are using. Example I have experimented with different speakers and its night and day comparing lets say a celestian
vs a greenback vs alnico etc. Do the NL12 have their own sound are they closer to a Jensen or a celestian etc?

Depends on your goal, if you want a solution that will most accurately translate your cab sims, based on numerous forum reviews, spend the $2000. If you want a more "cab like" solution, you can still get great results (again based on numerous forum reviews), but expect that it is going to affect how accurately cab sims are translated (IMO).

Reactions: sam
I live in Chicago,
Two active CLR =$2000

Well flexibility is another plus.

For example I plan to ultimately setup a wet/dry rig (i.e. Carlton) with the NL12 and the Q12.

I also like the idea of having the power amp in my rack instead of the cab (one of the reasons why I did not get the Q12a)

Back
Top Bottom