Nightmare Scenario

hgwy407

Inspired
I played a major festival show here in Las Vegas last night where my band was headlining. I had worked all week using my Axe FX II, Mark II, with the latest firmware. I was running it through an Atomic wedge and utilizing the MFC 101 with two Mission expression pedals. I also use a Line 6 Relay 90 wireless with two transmitters set to different channels. I had set up five presets. Four were balanced out for a decent rhythm volume and one was set with increased volume for solos. The solo patch was also set up utilizing X/Y for two types of delay, one short, one long. I got to the gig, and because of rain and bad wind, we were not able to set up until a couple hours before gig time. No sound check either. Ouch. I double checked my wedge by utilizing the "plunk method" on my hottest patch as on occasion the knobs on the Atomic will move during transport. Pushed the knobs on each channel until I saw the peak indicator lights start to show red, then backed off slightly to ensure no clipping. All good. I then turned up the master volume about a third of the way on the wedge, hit a couple of chords on my lead channel when I heard a pumping of the volume, which got very loud, then.....silence. Nothing. I switched to my other four patches, same exact thing. I looked over and saw the dreaded output clipping lights on every patch, something I was extremely careful about when setting up my patches. At home and at rehearsal during the week, I routinely watched the front of the Axe Fx to ensure that wasn't happening, even on my lead patch. All good until show time. I looked over at the the master channel volume on my Axe ensuring I was good there as well (I set my master volume at noon on both outputs one and two). I reached over and rolled the output volume back to a third on the channel I was using (output one) and zero on output two. Still the same thing. I was mortified. I turned the unit and the wedge on and off several times as I also did with my wireless. I also unplugged my expression pedals. The same thing happened each time. I then plugged directly into the Axe Fx using a cable instead of my wireless....same thing. I ended up having to do a complete reset of my Axe Fx and when I did, the patches I set up were toast. I ended up having to find five other factory patches on the fly to use for the gig. It was, to say the least, mortifying. I was really disappointed at the end of the night. The patches I used were a major compromise and I ended up having to try and tweak them on the fly, which during a gig in front of thousands of people and industry folks who are there to watch you, is a huge letdown. We managed to pull it off and folks said we sounded great, but I have to tell you, I am left to wonder what the heck happened? Has anyone else had a similar experience? I love the unit and am not giving up on it, but having to bring a back up rig kind of defeats the purpose.

That is a real disapointment, i can imagine that.
But i use the axe for gigs about a 100 times a year for about 2 years now.
The unit never let me down. I always have my old analog rack in the truck but i have not used it since....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I had the original Axe Fx for a couple of years and and borrowed a II for a few shows last year and have never had her fail on me. That's why I am so perplexed. The venue had a crappy old Peavey on hand, but as the engineer told me, "friends don't let friends play that old peavey!" I will load it all back up this week and see what happens. I have two shows next Friday and Saturday so I just want to make sure I don't repeat this again.

I've never had a problem with my II and I've logged hundreds of hours on it. I always bring a backup amp or rig to all my gigs though, just in case.

The scenario described is why I have a complete redundant rig. IMO, you need to have doubles of everything. I consider the price of admission of any gear as times two for this reason. FWIW, I've never had a meltdown as described, thankfully.

Did you use the same guitar to set up your patches, as you had used for your show?

Was your input light clipping?
Are you sure your MFC was pulling up the right patches?

A lot of PA amps / powered wedges these days have input limiting circuitry or firmware. In that when they receive insanely hot signals they shut off input rather than reproduce the signal (and damage themselves). I'm assuming that is what is causing the silence from the Atomic.

From what I understand of your post you were seeing the output clipping but the input lights were within normal ranges?

And there was a period of normal function followed by the output clipping state every time you turned it on?

Did you attempt to use your patches without the foot controller connected? (It's possible they can send stray MIDI that changes some volume setting somewhere)

Can you reproduce this now? (If so, video it...)

I'm not sure how easy, or even possible, this would be to implement but a long time I had floated an idea about being able to reload patches from a USB flash drive.

It certainly would be very convenient to have your Axe backup in your guitar case rather than have to bring a laptop just in case.

hgwy407 - maybe you could have tried reloading from the Axe's flash??
assuming you'd backed up to it..

my heart does go out to you though…
and this crap always seems to happen when you have the least amount of time to do something about it

I'm not sure how easy, or even possible, this would be to implement but a long time I had floated an idea about being able to reload patches from a USB flash drive.

It certainly would be very convenient to have your Axe backup in your guitar case rather than have to bring a laptop just in case.

I have always wanted to see this. A USB port on the Axe that you could plug a thumb drive into (that you could have your patches on) and you could load your patches into the Axe from the it, or possibly even run directly off from the thumb drive. Then you could use anyone's Axe and carry your patches in your pocket.

"Did you use the same guitar to set up your patches, as you had used for your show?

Was your input light clipping?
Are you sure your MFC was pulling up the right patches?"

1. Yes
2. No, just the output.
3. Yes.

"A lot of PA amps / powered wedges these days have input limiting circuitry or firmware. In that when they receive insanely hot signals they shut off input rather than reproduce the signal (and damage themselves). I'm assuming that is what is causing the silence from the Atomic.

From what I understand of your post you were seeing the output clipping but the input lights were within normal ranges?

And there was a period of normal function followed by the output clipping state every time you turned it on?

Did you attempt to use your patches without the foot controller connected? (It's possible they can send stray MIDI that changes some volume setting somewhere)"

Using the unit without the MFC is something I didn't think of. What was crazy to me is I worked all week on ensuring my patches were not clipping. I gave myself plenty of headroom. I seriously wonder if this was an issue of bad power from the venue? Also, they had a DJ on at the time and the ungodly extreme volume of the low end frequencies was literally rattling my teeth. The floor of the stage was literally vibrating. I watched a guitar stand vibrate across the stage floor at one point during load in. I also wonder if the amount of stage vibration wreaked havoc on my gear? I set everything up today at home and all was perfect. Funny thing is, I thought about adding an old Digitech 2101 I have to my rack just in case I had an emergency. Seems like a good insurance plan. Either way, I'll start bringing a backup rig just in case. I have done over a 100 gigs with an Axe Fx and never had this happen. It just so happens it occurred at the perfect storm of poor circumstances. As far as using the flash feature, damn good idea! Thank you guys.

Hmm, that's quite odd.

It's not just digital stuff that can go south though, I had an internal fuse I never even knew existed (you had to dismantle the amp) blow on my AC30 as I went on before a set, then later in the same gig my Les Paul fell off the guitar stand and the neck snapped.

Something common to all 5 presets changed from what you were doing at home, to the final setup at the gig. If other factory presets worked ok, (you didn't mention trying them before the reset) I suspect there was nothing wrong with the AxeFX. It's my guess that if you chose any one of those 5 presets and systematically stepped through the blocks, you would have discovered the problem. The clipping was internal to the signal chain so the OUT1 knob on the front panel wouldn't help. I realize you didn't have much time and your brain was freaking out under pressure (as mine would), but I can't help but to think you could have recovered from this by analyzing the gain structure of any one of the 5 presets, and then make a simple change to all of them. I wish you could have somehow saved and uploaded the presets, and posted them here so the "gang" could have a look at them. I am sorry for you experience….this kind of stuff is truly nightmarish!
I recommend buying a laptop (if you don't already have one) so you can restore everything on the fly.

Last edited:
systematically stepped through the blocks, you would have discovered the problem.

One quick test would be to just go through each block and bypass it. Hopefully that would isolate the block(s) in question.

New theory: The vibration from the stage level was messing with the encoders causing some non-obvious parameter(s) to change...?

Back
Top Bottom