NGD

Sixstring

Legend!
Ok so I recently bought a Carvin C66 good playing guitar but it had some tone issues that are driving me nuts. I had been contemplating on changing out the electronics and had been talking to a buddy of mine that convinced me to look at another guitar so...

Meet my new Suhr Rasmus Guthrie Govan... I got a great deal from Bo at Wild West guitars.

DSCN6284.jpg

DSCN6280.jpg

DSCN6281.jpg

DSCN6282.jpg

DSCN6286.jpg

Fit and finnish are near perfect, the two pice Mahogany body is not a perfect match but close enough. Playability... it's a Suhr, the neck is phenomenal right out of the really nice gig bag the nicest gig bag I have ever seen. The frets are perfect all the way up the neck. The Carve is very comfortable and the radius is easy to string bend and chord with. Tone, heres where it shines for me. The clarity of the Rasmus guitar when compared to the Carvin is so much better like the tone knob was turned up. The enjoying upper mid fizz of the carvin is not there. The selection of tones from this guitar is great it's like a swiss army knife you can coax Strat, Tele, Paul and a few others with all the pickup selections in the 5 way and coil tap. The GoTo 510 trem is perfect and has no tuning issues with moderate dives the Floyd on the Carvin though it will out perform the Goto became to labor intensive for me to mess with. In short the Carvin as pretty as it is is going up for sale to help finance the Suhr.

I have the Suhr version of that and just love it! Congrats on the new guitar. Those things are monsters!

Thanks man... I have owned one other Suhr guitar and this plays just as good. The Modern body style is a lot more comfortable then the standard body by a long shot.

What were your issues with the Carvin C66? I'm thinking of ordering a Carvin ST300.

Personally based on what others have said and I agree that the electronics are pretty much the weak link with the Carvin. The pots are stiff and don't turn freely and it didn't clean up the way I would have liked it to. The neck on the 66 was the other minor issue and was easily fixable but not as bad or as costly to fix as the electronics were going to be.

Lastly the Floyd trem was just too much hassle. Though I will say once I got it setup right it was fine, I had forgotten how much work they were to setup and just don't want to deal with it. The fit and finnish is top notch, it really is a gorgeous guitar and If I could keep it I probably would and swop out things later on but I just can't do that right now.

I think the ST would be a different story with the neck as I have played one of those and was very impressed, it was comfortable and fast and I like the radius they used. The ST that I had played the electronics had been changed out on that guitar so pickups and pots were not stock and made a big difference in how it sounded. A buddies guitar... he went with and 78 in the bridge and a PG in the neck not sure what pots were used but my guess probably CTS.

I suppose I could have changed out the electronics and gone with a good combination. I weighed the money and time coupled that with the Floyd issues and the Rasmus made better sense but it was still a tough choice as I love the way the Carvin looks and with all the extras, SS frets, Inlays, 5A quilt top, matching head stock truly a custom guitar.

The other thing is with the Rasmus is that it has a known electronics combination that is well balanced and is evident between the two guitars in an A/B. Also the way the pickups are wired coupled with the coil tap the way the Rasmus sounds and responds is what ultimately won me over.

Your close enough if you haven't already I would go to the Hollywood or Santa Anna store with your Axe and try one out and see if you like the ST. Other wise you will need to factor the time and cost to have different electronics installed or you might look at a Suhr Rasmus I highly recommend it. The Carvin is a prettier guitar for sure but for the money I think the Rasmus plays a little better probably because of the Plecked neck and sounds vastly better because of the the electronics that are used.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation I just wanted to be clear on the differences between the two guitars and what I went with the Suhr.

Back
Top Bottom