NGD....tomorrow - buyers remorse today

Lefty guitarists like myself often do not have the option to test before purchase. Just try to find any suhr on Anderson lefty anywhere to even get a feel for the brand. Nearly impossible.
I bought 2 fender guitars new. A strat elite and a usa tele. Both ordered in a store. Played crap out of the box and took me a few drives up and down to get them setup properly. Bought an ibanez js1200 and a jem7v lefty (extremely hard to find) used. They were unplayable when I got them, but after a good setup it was ok. After changing pots they were great. Both were nowhere near the described condition by the seller. But I am extremely grateful that I found them and was able to buy/afford them. I still get chills when I play them or see them hanging on my wall.
Out of curiosity: the first time ever you picked up a guitar, was that a lefty or righty?
If it was a righty, did you know/feel you needed a lefty? I think this is fascinating; could you have learned to play on a right-handed guitar? I watched Jay Leonard J on YouTube trying to learn to play on a lefty, and couldn’t help to wonder, would he have learned to play on a lefty, if he only ever had access to a lefty?

Out of curiosity: the first time ever you picked up a guitar, was that a lefty or righty?
If it was a righty, did you know/feel you needed a lefty? I think this is fascinating; could you have learned to play on a right-handed guitar? I watched Jay Leonard J on YouTube trying to learn to play on a lefty, and couldn’t help to wonder, would he have learned to play on a lefty, if he only ever had access to a lefty?

My wife was naturally left handed, but her mother taught her to be right-handed. Whenever she has played air guitar, it's been as a lefty. Although everything else about her is right-handed now, I feel like she's still innately left-handed, and I feel like, if she were to pick up the guitar to learn to play, she would naturally gravitate toward a lefty guitar. When she picks up my guitars as they are, she talks about how she feels like the headstock should really point the other way!

My mom was R, dad L. One of my brothers writes, bats, plays cards, and golfs lefty, but kicks, throws, bowls, eats, and does most other things righty.

The only one of those he kind of remembers consciously deciding about was that teachers wanted him to write right-handed, but as he put it, "left was right".

My wife was naturally left handed, but her mother taught her to be right-handed. Whenever she has played air guitar, it's been as a lefty. Although everything else about her is right-handed now, I feel like she's still innately left-handed, and I feel like, if she were to pick up the guitar to learn to play, she would naturally gravitate toward a lefty guitar. When she picks up my guitars as they are, she talks about how she feels like the headstock should really point the other way!
Thanks for the reply. This is pretty interesting. I can see with one-handed activities like writing or catching how one intuitively picks the dominant hand, but for an activity that requires dexterity, coordination and fine motor skills in both hands it is quite amazing how one intuitively plays air guitar left or right. Pretty cool.
Makes me wonder, what is the musically dominant hand? My dominant is right, I pick and strum with the right hand, but my left (non-dominant) fretting hand has to do so much intricate work and is so important for the phrasing, the feel and the sound. Sometimes I wonder, would I be a better technical player, if I had learned on a lefty and had allowed my dominant hand to take on all that fine motor skill fretting? Hmm.

Thanks for the reply. This is pretty interesting. I can see with one-handed activities like writing or catching how one intuitively picks the dominant hand, but for an activity that requires dexterity, coordination and fine motor skills in both hands it is quite amazing how one intuitively plays air guitar left or right. Pretty cool.
Makes me wonder, what is the musically dominant hand? My dominant is right, I pick and strum with the right hand, but my left (non-dominant) fretting hand has to do so much intricate work and is so important for the phrasing, the feel and the sound. Sometimes I wonder, would I be a better technical player, if I had learned on a lefty and had allowed my dominant hand to take on all that fine motor skill fretting? Hmm.
Good question, I've wondered that too.

I have taught quit a few Left hand people that play right hand and they had a really hard time learning to play rhythm in time, but they did play chords more easily at the beginning .

I think there are degrees of being lefty. My son is a lefty but kicks a ball with his right foot. I am a lefty all the way. Can’t kick a ball with my right foot or throw one with my right hand. My father was a right handed guitarist. I tried that when I started out. My fretting hand didn’t complain, but my right hand felt like I was a handicapped person. Just strumming to the beat felt so awkward. My dad had a Morris SG model and I strung it lefty. That really felt sooo much better. Ppl often say “ you should have learned to play right handed because you have an advantage as a lefty”. Well, if that was true wouldn’t all righties buy lefty guitars? Lol

Mark Knopfler is a natural lefty, so playing right handed is something he learned pretty well. Paul McCartney was about to give up trying to learn when his brother reminded him he's left handed. So I guess it depends on the person.

I think there are degrees of being lefty. My son is a lefty but kicks a ball with his right foot. I am a lefty all the way. Can’t kick a ball with my right foot or throw one with my right hand. My father was a right handed guitarist. I tried that when I started out. My fretting hand didn’t complain, but my right hand felt like I was a handicapped person. Just strumming to the beat felt so awkward. My dad had a Morris SG model and I strung it lefty. That really felt sooo much better. Ppl often say “ you should have learned to play right handed because you have an advantage as a lefty”. Well, if that was true wouldn’t all righties buy lefty guitars? Lol
Interesting - I never tired strumming left, maybe will give it a go later. I assume it must feel weird, also difficult to keep rhythm.
Always thought drummers are beasts, they have to keep rhythm not just with left and right, but also with both feet - LOL!

Interesting - I never tired strumming left, maybe will give it a go later. I assume it must feel weird, also difficult to keep rhythm.
Always thought drummers are beasts, they have to keep rhythm not just with left and right, but also with both feet - LOL!

I had a drumkit for a while. Had to set it up lefty (turn snare and bass around). My lefty son just used righty setup.

I only learned a few years ago that there's "lefty" for drums. Based on how I air drum, I have a feeling this would be more comfortable. Yet, I'm right-handed. Im supposed to be lefty on a board but skate/snowboard regular (back when I did those things).

Someone in Toronto is selling a left handed PRS private stock. Not many of those around.

Back
Top Bottom