NGD....tomorrow - buyers remorse today

To me it's a very real danger to think a guitar is the awesomest thing ever...until you see it in person. Recently I had the opposite happen: I love the idea of the Dean Exile because it has unbelievable upper fret access, but I always thought the body shape looked kinda bad. But I just saw one in a shop within the past few weeks, and I was shocked that in person I freakin' loved it! Regardless, I just can't bring myself to trust any guitar I can't try first; the biggest concern for me would be dead spots; nothing can tell you that until you play it yourself, and I don't trust anyone to tell the truth online.
The only guitar I ever bought unseen turned out to be great - but usually I don’t buy untouched. Just wasn’t easy with CV19 restrictions and businesses closed for in store traffic.

The only guitar I ever bought unseen turned out to be great - but usually I don’t buy untouched. Just wasn’t easy with CV19 restrictions and businesses closed for in store traffic.

I gotcha; the pandemic made all that nearly impossible. Glad the one you got was awesome! I have had terrible luck with online guitar orders, so I'm just done with it personally. Also, reading @unix-guy's trouble with dead spots on his Suhr was something that really stuck with me! Even an otherwise awesome brand can have something that sucks in some way.

I gotcha; the pandemic made all that nearly impossible. Glad the one you got was awesome! I have had terrible luck with online guitar orders, so I'm just done with it personally. Also, reading @unix-guy's trouble with dead spots on his Suhr was something that really stuck with me! Even an otherwise awesome brand can have something that sucks in some way.
Even playing a guitar in a shop there could be dead notes that you just don't notice or encounter at the time.

In my case, the F# on the G string is one I play often and even then it took a while for me to notice it... But once you do, you can't not hear it. :(

Even playing a guitar in a shop there could be dead notes that you just don't notice or encounter at the time.

In my case, the F# on the G string is one I play often and even then it took a while for me to notice it... But once you do, you can't not hear it. :(

Dude, truer words were never spoken. I know I ran my latest guitar through the damn gauntlet before buying, expecting crap at some point in my inspection, but I kept being pleasantly surprised. Even then, it took a little time after buying to realize I'd still ideally switch out the bridge humbucker (because I didn't perceive the harshness at first), properly radius the bridge (because it's Floyd, and that's just life, and shims have been out of stock since some point in the pandemic), and maybe just switch the Floyd block out for a tungsten block or the whole thing for a 1996t in dim hopes that my weird ringing out from my sustain block goes away. Anal retentive guitar playing controls my life. I should make a t-shirt with that slogan.

Oh, @unix-guy, I have to tell you, your story also prompted an interesting phone call. I called Tom Anderson Guitarworks, and Tom picked up the phone! I started asking about various things about custom orders (like how far they'll go with my wiring preferences), and I mentioned a big concern with dead notes, wanting to ask him if that's something they check for and try to mitigate. He cut me off right away, all of a sudden really put off, and said (echoing something I had read by him on a forum), "If you're going to sit there with a stopwatch timing every note..." and proceeded to tell me that I'm that concerned I might be better off buying another brand of guitar. That pissed me off right away. If I'm going to spend more money than I've ever spent on anything having to do with a guitar, I'd like the builder not to act like I'm pestering him with a concern that's genuine, especially when I was asking as nicely as a possibly could. I know some things are really difficult to plan for, but you can let a customer know that without being just rude and arrogant. He did also say that it's only a problem with mahogany necks. I'm gun shy of customs, but I'd still buy an Anderson off the rack as long as I could test it; hell, I still watch movies and listen to music made by total assholes haha.

Sorry for the short thread derailment!

Every guitar in the past decade and an half I have had to buy sight unseen. That
means I have had to send them back (rarely), or flip over the years. I just live in a
super remote area. The nearest guitar store is 125 miles away and is a crap-tastic
Guitar Center. :(

Buying used and online is what I have been left with. Around 2005-6 I decided to turn
it into a side business and would take the crappier ones and give them a good setup,
or fix any issues with them, from wiring to finish. If a guitar isn't great for me I always
assume there is someone else out there that it will be great for.

I also realized "ideal" guitars are mostly a myth, and that if they do exist it is based more
on a personal relationship and subjective ideal than some kind of objective/universal
standard. What doesn't feel "right" in one person's hands will feel "perfect" in another's.

Not even yourself??? ;)

Touché haha. Let me rephrase that: I don't trust anyone selling a guitar online to tell the truth about it.

Why am I all of a sudden put in mind of the Crowley conundrum "The Wanderings or Falsifications of the One Thought of Frater Perdurabo, which Thought is itself Untrue."

and proceeded to tell me that I'm that concerned I might be better off buying another brand of guitar. That pissed me off right away.
I guess so! I've heard that type of comment more than a few times, and I think it's something akin to reverse psychology. If so, it certainly doesn't work that way on me. Anyone who said that to me has never had to worry about seeing me, or hearing my concerns again. What a crappy way to treat a customer, or potential customer.

Touché haha. Let me rephrase that: I don't trust anyone selling a guitar online to tell the truth about it.

Why am I all of a sudden put in mind of the Crowley conundrum "The Wanderings or Falsifications of the One Thought of Frater Perdurabo, which Thought is itself Untrue."

Holy crap... a Crowley reference?? I'm gonna have to go back to school!! :)

Lefty guitarists like myself often do not have the option to test before purchase. Just try to find any suhr on Anderson lefty anywhere to even get a feel for the brand. Nearly impossible.
I bought 2 fender guitars new. A strat elite and a usa tele. Both ordered in a store. Played crap out of the box and took me a few drives up and down to get them setup properly. Bought an ibanez js1200 and a jem7v lefty (extremely hard to find) used. They were unplayable when I got them, but after a good setup it was ok. After changing pots they were great. Both were nowhere near the described condition by the seller. But I am extremely grateful that I found them and was able to buy/afford them. I still get chills when I play them or see them hanging on my wall.

Lefty guitarists like myself often do not have the option to test before purchase. Just try to find any suhr on Anderson lefty anywhere to even get a feel for the brand. Nearly impossible.
I bought 2 fender guitars new. A strat elite and a usa tele. Both ordered in a store. Played crap out of the box and took me a few drives up and down to get them setup properly. Bought an ibanez js1200 and a jem7v lefty (extremely hard to find) used. They were unplayable when I got them, but after a good setup it was ok. After changing pots they were great. Both were nowhere near the described condition by the seller. But I am extremely grateful that I found them and was able to buy/afford them. I still get chills when I play them or see them hanging on my wall.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that just for being a leftie, but that's awesome that you have the skills to make those guitars salvageable! I've dealt with some stuff like, on one guitar, a twisted neck, where the amount of work to correct it would not even be close to worth, and could not fully correct it anyway. Stuff like that just kills me. But reading your post makes me feel like being right-handed is a luxury.

Oh, @unix-guy, I have to tell you, your story also prompted an interesting phone call. I called Tom Anderson Guitarworks, and Tom picked up the phone! I started asking about various things about custom orders (like how far they'll go with my wiring preferences), and I mentioned a big concern with dead notes, wanting to ask him if that's something they check for and try to mitigate. He cut me off right away, all of a sudden really put off, and said (echoing something I had read by him on a forum), "If you're going to sit there with a stopwatch timing every note..." and proceeded to tell me that I'm that concerned I might be better off buying another brand of guitar. That pissed me off right away. If I'm going to spend more money than I've ever spent on anything having to do with a guitar, I'd like the builder not to act like I'm pestering him with a concern that's genuine, especially when I was asking as nicely as a possibly could. I know some things are really difficult to plan for, but you can let a customer know that without being just rude and arrogant. He did also say that it's only a problem with mahogany necks. I'm gun shy of customs, but I'd still buy an Anderson off the rack as long as I could test it; hell, I still watch movies and listen to music made by total assholes haha.

Sorry for the short thread derailment!
Well, sorry to tell Tom that my guitar is a roasted maple neck...

Sounds like you touched a sore nerve!

John Suhr is very pragmatic about it, and also I feel very honest. It can and does happen to even the best made Instruments.

Left-handed guitars always look soooo strange to me.

Well, sorry to tell Tom that my guitar is a roasted maple neck...

Sounds like you touched a sore nerve!

John Suhr is very pragmatic about it, and also I feel very honest. It can and does happen to even the best made Instruments.

Yeah, I was dubious about the claim that wood type is the main factor; I've assumed from everything I've read it has more to do with either the truss rod, or as I've experienced, hardware. My Flying V came with a Kahler, and notes immediately morphed into harmonics from the 9th to 12th frets on the G string; replacing it with a Hipshot "Ton-a-matic" made it so there were no dead notes anywhere on the neck. I was shocked.

About dead notes happening potentially no matter what, that is my assumption for most guitars, but I was curious if in the upper crust of the luthier elite if it's something they look at in any way. Part of the logic of a Vigier is that their guitars supposedly do not suffer from dead notes because they do not have truss rods. I wondered if it's something other luthiers design around or check for in QC.

After I initially read your story I googled to see if other Suhr players had also discovered dead notes, and I did find several posting about it on forums, which prompted me to add it to my questions list when calling Anderson, who is so often mentioned in the same breath as Suhr in any discussion of Super Strats.

edited to correct swyp-os!

Last edited:
Left-handed guitars always look soooo strange to me.

Lol yeah I can imagine. It is an advantage when you give guitar lessons. The necks point in the same direction. It’s a small advantage, but we take what we can get eh? Haha. I can also imagine that it is a bit more Complicated to build a high end leftie guitar. Not for the rough work, but the finesse of setting it up. A right handed luthier has difficulties testing it. Still I think it is a matter of putting in an effort.

Back
Top Bottom