NGD Teuffel Nickel Birdfish

Jirai

Inspired
20 years ago I saw this guitar for the first time in a guitar magazine and was completely fascinated by the design and the modular concept. But at that time I was engaged in completely different things and didn't play music at all.
When I restarted playing 10 years ago, I still had the fascination, but not the money for it.
Meanwhile my financial situation changed significantly and finally I can fulfill an old dream.
The Birdfish comes with 2 sets of tonebars and 5 different PUs, from which you can put 3 at a time at any place between neck and bridge. By this there are so many tonal options, that it will take a while, to find my favorite settings.
View attachment Birdfish a.jpg

Birdfish b.jpg

View attachment Birdfish c.jpg

20 years ago I saw this guitar for the first time in a guitar magazine and was completely fascinated by the design and the modular concept. But at that time I was engaged in completely different things and didn't play music at all.
When I restarted playing 10 years ago, I still had the fascination, but not the money for it.
Meanwhile my financial situation changed significantly and finally I can fulfill an old dream.
The Birdfish comes with 2 sets of tonebars and 5 different PUs, from which you can put 3 at a time at any place between neck and bridge. By this there are so many tonal options, that it will take a while, to find my favorite settings.
View attachment 93267

View attachment 93265

View attachment 93266
Gotta have! Major congrats!!!

I got this extraordinary guitar some days ago, but the end of the year is always my busiest time and even in the evenings I have have only short moments, where I can play and explore it.
But I changed yesterday the tonebars, which is an easy task and takes only about 3 minutes.
I can understand that even people, who like the design, are skeptical about the tonal qualities. Therefore I made a short clip on soundcloud with the Alder tonebars and the humbucker pickups. I switch through the 5 positions, starting with the neck. Position 2/4 is the middle pickup with the neck/bridge in parallel. At the end I play a little bit lead over a loop with some drums, to show how it could sound in a band context.
This is just a quick demo, so please concentrate on the sound and not on my playing. I will try to make more (and better) clips in the next days with the other constellations.

Last edited:
View attachment 93267

View attachment 93265

View attachment 93266
Phenomenal! Well done :)

Interesting!

Looking forward to more clips.
How much difference does using different tonebars make?
What tonebars does it come with?

I first saw that guitar at the Frankfurt Messe it was first shown to the public mid 90s. I have always dreamt of owning one, but my finances won't let me. Gratulations!

I got this extraordinary guitar some days ago, but the end of the year is always my busiest time and even in the evenings I have have only short moments, where I can play and explore it.
But I changed yesterday the tonebars, which is an easy task and takes only about 3 minutes.
I can understand that even people, who like the design, are skeptical about the tonal qualities. Therefore I made a short clip on soundcloud with the Alder tonebars and the humbucker pickups. I switch through the 5 positions, starting with the neck. Position 2/4 is the middle pickup with the neck/bridge in parallel. At the end I play a little bit lead over a loop with some drums, to show how it could sound in a band context.
This is just a quick demo, so please concentrate on the sound and not on my playing. I will try to make more (and better) clips in the next days with the other constellations.

Some great tones in there. Looking forward to hearing more as time allows!

Chapter 2
Today I changed the pickups and put the single coils into the middle and bridge position. The change itself is also very simple: you loosen with your fingers the pickup screw, slide out the pu and unplug the cable.
Finding the right position and height requires of course more efforts. But the pickup rail has marks and the height can be measured. Once you found a good setup, you just take some notes and then you can easily reproduce it.
View attachment Birdfish back.jpg
Another sound file, done in the same way as before. In the lead part I start with the neck pickup, switch then to the middle and finally to the bridge.

Chapter 3
Today's menu is maple tonebars in HSS configuration. The soundfile is done as before.

I also post a picture from the back to show not only the beautiful neck, but also the construction of the body. You can see the 2 main parts, called "bird" and "fish", which gave the guitar its name.

Birdfish back 2.jpg

Chapter 4:

Today we have maple tonebars with 3 humbuckers. Soundfile made as before.

I changed the strings, which took me a little while. It's my first headless guitar and so I had to figure out, how to do it. It's not difficult, but completely different to a normal guitar. Next time will be faster.

1. Guitar is cool! Sounds nice as well.
2. I read the thread title and thought you got a Nigel Tufnel Birdfish guitar :D

Back
Top Bottom