NGD! TEN YEARS in the making. It's finally here!

Womac911

Inspired
About ten years ago, one of my OEM buyers and I worked out a deal. A bunch of my pickups for one of his guitars, as we had free time to work on each other's stuff. I'd wind a coil, he's put in a fret.. or something like that... as we had free time that we weren't working on much else.

Well, the guitar was completed last year, and I've been trying to make a day or two that I could make the trip up to Canada to pick it up.
That time finally came. A very narrow window of opportunity arrived, and I took it.

TEN YEARS ! (Give or take a bit)

I was scared as hell, thinking about it being taken away by border customs jerkwads at the US/Canada border crossing. I've been reading about guitar passports, the whole works.
We passed through without a hitch.

Here it is... back of body and neck is a reddish satin finish, smooth and not sticky at all. Workmanship is flawless. Top is a beautiful 3-D with a bit of mineral streaking.
Without a doubt, one of the nicest LP style guitar I've ever held.

It was worth the wait...

The top picture is an early picture, taken by the builder. The original pickups were swapped for a different model, without covers. Something special for myself.

Heatleysmall.jpg

Heatleysmall1.jpg

WOW ! Beautiful ....

How about a few more details ? Who's the builder ? What's the guitar's spec ?

Inquiring minds want to know !

THANKS !

WOW ! Beautiful ....

How about a few more details ? Who's the builder ? What's the guitar's spec ?

Inquiring minds want to know !

THANKS !

The builder is Heatley Guitars, in BC Canada, about three hours north of Victoria. Heatley Guitars
Scott Heatley builds some exceptional instruments. I've been building pickups for msince about 2003, and we decided on the trade in 2004, I'm sure. 42 assorted for one of his base-price guitars. I upgraded a bit. At the time, base was around $2400. Now, base is $5000.
Pretty sure it was during summer, because I recall having a phone conversation with him about it during one of our company jams/BBQ days. I have all of my email stretching back as far as 2005, and can't find some early emails about it, so the agreement predates 2005. So... right about ten years is where I put it.

His build times aren't normally thing long, keep that in mind. We both knew this was a long-term trade effort, and I was prepared for the wait. Yes, it was worth it. I only started getting a bit anxious about it in the last year or two, knowing it was nearly completion.

Typical Les Paul materials, Mahogany and Maple. His neck heel is considerably different than a Gibson heel, and much more comfortable. I'll get some pics of that later. I recall him stating once that the tenon extends about halfway through the body, as well.
I won't mention the fretboard material, but you might guess. He's had it quite a while.

I haven't weighted it yet, but it's pretty light. 9 pounds or under, I'd say. It solid, no weight relief,

Niiiiiice.

Looks like LP with some hints of PRS SC fused in there. Very classy.

He put it in the limelight on his website too. That's the one.

Last edited:
Ten years and that's all the pictures you show!? Come on now, let's see some more pictures of that beauty!

I remember one of the guys from TGP (can't remember who though) had one of Scott's guitars years back that always caught my eye. That's a beautiful guitar you have there- the top and finish are very similar to my '58 RI (I believe is a '00 or '01).. congrats and enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom