NGD: Suhr Modern Satin

I'm curious... do you have any "dead spots" on this guitar?

I had bought a Modern Satin, and later found that it had an area on the neck where the sustain was extremely uneven. For example, the second string at the 15th fret did not sustain at all, and the tone "died off" very quickly. Other areas of the neck had great sustain.

I had to return it to Suhr for an exchange, but they couldn't find a replacement guitar that was entirely free of this problem (they said it was a "natural side-effect" of the wood combination).

How even is the response on your neck?

I had bought a Modern Satin, and later found that it had an area on the neck where the sustain was extremely uneven. For example, the second string at the 15th fret did not sustain at all, and the tone "died off" very quickly. Other areas of the neck had great sustain.

I had to return it to Suhr for an exchange, but they couldn't find a replacement guitar that was entirely free of this problem (they said it was a "natural side-effect" of the wood combination).

I tried with Strider this guitar last night extensibly and i truly could not find any thing wrong with the guitar on the other hand i was completely blown away by it, its almost a perfect guitar and i don't say that lightly.

Since you bought the dead spots out i just called SUHR and has a good conversation with customer service and indeed its the nature of the mahogany body and mahogany neck, yet this has been present on all guitars from past and present, its just something thats natural but some times its really pronounced on some guitars that are really resonant, like this modern satins are yet not all of them will have this pronounced issue. Thats what i was told.

This SUHR we tried does not present this issue in the degree that yours had, just whats normally found on all guitars that have this combination.

Cheers.

Hi Dpoirier

Nicolas and myself tried this Suhr last night and push to deliver the best of the guitar, in my experience with the guitar at this moment i can't find any of the "dead spots" you mention, i talk with nicolas about the issue you bought and he called Suhr customer service as you see in his post.

Cheers

Suhr is my favorite guitar I've owned. Many nice guitars in the past, but Suhr hits it all for me. Like the orange/tweed case. That's a very nicely matched top, too. Good luck with it!

Gosh,

And I just put new pickups in my Les Paul.

A few more Suhr threads (or friedman threads) and the Les Paul is history.

I see you have the neck protector too. When my factory order came in and I opened it and saw that I thought they screwed up and sent me a fretless guitar.

Congrats!

Suhr is my favorite guitar I've owned. Many nice guitars in the past, but Suhr hits it all for me. Like the orange/tweed case. That's a very nicely matched top, too. Good luck with it!

Thanks i was looking for a good matched top and i find this one, i love tweed cases :D

Hi guys,. I had Suhr Modern Satin Cherry 2014 with Gotoh 510T last year....and I am having similar now- 2015. but with original Floyd Rose...both of these had or has dead spots on G string ,,,the first on 11th fret on F#, but the second on 10th fret...what can I say...I contacted Suhr customer service for these problem with the first guitar, they answered to me with a few suggestions, but they didn't want to admit their failure on quality control procedure...

I had one that had this very issue. Suhr ended up replacing the neck for me and the new one is better.

How common is this dead spot thing? Maybe I'm not that perceptive, but never really noticed it on my guitars.

I'm pretty happy right now with my new Suhr Guitar, this is my first Suhr ever all i can say is that i'm blow away with the quality of this guitars and TONE this THING Screams!!! :D

Congratulations on the new guitar StriderHND!!! I'm in the market for one too :). What kind of pickups did you get? Fretboard wood?

I'm not buying that business about mahogany wood causing problems though. The problem more likely lies with either the fretboard wood or the frets weren't filed down enough after they were installed. Gibson has been using mahogany for ages and you don't hear anyone mentioning anything about dead spots. I've built several guitars from mahogany and have never had a problem with this beautiful wood, in looks, functionality, and tone. At least being a bolt on neck it's easily replaced, personally all I think it needs is a good fret dress and crowning, but that should have been done already. If the issue is wood settling and time, than they need to age their wood longer.

Here's my "pointy" version of the Les Paul, mahogany neck and back, birdseye maple top, ebony fretboard. Sorry I don't know how to make tabs like StriderHND o_O.

ezgif-2-81b39f2a7e.jpg

ezgif-2-bd812c6c88.jpg

ezgif-2-3d5b444d2d.jpg

Not trying to sell anything here, but I am puzzled by Suhr's explanation having to do with mahogany wood. This guitar doesn't have any issues with dead spots. I have come across it in cheaper guitars however, and usually a truss rod adjustment will correct it, but you may have to deal with a forward bowed neck. Changing string gauges sometimes helps too.

Please excuse the Ibanez V7 & V8 pickups, they were all I had left at the time... The guitar is 20 years old and has had a few different pickups in it, it was also in a time capsule about ten years.

Good luck with your Suhr's, I almost used the "Stick Out Tongue" emoji but decided to be nice since it's "Happy Guitar Day!" A time for praise and worship, a holy day. "Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy." ..and, I'll soon be getting a new guitar too ;).

So what is it you guys like most about the Suhr's?

Last edited:
I’m also puzzled by that explanation. There’s nothing inherent to mahogany that creates dead spots. I’m curious to know whether they predict that all mahogany guitars will have the same dead spots, or they say it’s just random flaws in the wood.

One cause of dead spots is a fret that’s not tightly set into the wood. A fret can feel tight but still not be fully coupled to the fretboard. When we evaluate a guitar, we test for a tight sonic connection between fret and wood. I’ve seen guitars “wake up” in a resonant way by careful gluing of the frets.

Back
Top Bottom