NGD: Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder Exotic

Yeah, it took me this long for the thought to occur to me. I still don’t know if it’ll work. I’ve been drowning in work and prepping to move at the same time, but the moment I can I’m going to install this new noiseless single coil to my neck, replace the blade pickup selector with a 3 way mini toggle, and re-shield the holes.
20221020_194804.jpg
This guy, with the fat bat and big bushing, might be a bit easier to maneuver than a mini toggle, and you get a couple extra rows of switch contacts to do stuff with if you're into doing stuff....

View attachment 110110
This guy, with the fat bat and big bushing, might be a bit easier to maneuver than a mini toggle, and you get a couple extra rows of switch contacts to do stuff with if you're into doing stuff....

Much appreciated Joe! I wasn’t familiar with that one, and it definitely would stand out to make it easier to switch pickups. I’ll have to think about this one. The extra pole is nice too, although I’m actually thinking of just having the traditional setup again for the selector. My new noiseless single coil just has a hot and ground wire, so I think the wiring I’ll use will be basic, although I’ll keep my North split / South split / Parallel / Series for the bridge just to see what plays well in the middle.

I’m also playing around with the idea of adding two more dual concentrics to route the signal so that in the middle position it goes to the second set of four pots, giving me essentially a preset volume and tone knob setting for each pickup selector position. But that would take more routing and new pickguard material, and I don’t at all have that kind of time right now. I can’t even play right now, which is killing me!

Today Darrell has reviewed the hardtail version. It looks so cool

Thanks for posting this; I’d love to try that version with my Saturday Night Specials by Duncan. The Floyd, or maybe something else about my version, absolutely demands hot ass pickups, or else you get this harshness at around 2.3kHz that will completely make your ears bleed.

I feel like I got really lucky with my guitar, that it has just been put on the wall something like two days before I came in, according to the clerk. It’s been very consistent since I tightened the screw that hold down the locking nut, and that body wood is so soft that the additional routing I did was very easy. I wonder though about the pickguard plastic maybe also being too soft. Even before I routed there were extraneous pinging sounds, and I’ve found recently that pressing tightly on the pickguard eliminates those sounds.

I watched this video, but I do not trust this guy; his channel just makes me think each video is an advertisement rather than a substantive breakdown. He makes me think of some self help cult leader trying to extract money by being subversively non threatening and high energy. I agree with him about the comfort of the neck though; the open pores and the finish feel fast and comfortable, and that’s the most unique and well designed part of the guitar, in my opinion.

I think in the future I will avoid pickguard guitars for my own preference; wiring is faster to mod on the fly, and I feel you get a more solid tone that easily can be more dynamic. Now, I don’t know if one has to go as far direct mounting pickups for great dynamic tone, but with a Floyd maybe it helps; I’d love to test that.

I like the guitar but Darrell's shopping channels too much. The bit that says includes paid promotion should say only paid promotion anything for a dollar.

A couple of years ago I watched some channel called Arnold Plays Guitar, all done by a guy just playing downtuned death metal riffs with a ton of distortion. But he was so insanely critical, I immediately trusted his analysis. His tone analysis wasn't something useful to me, since he just wanted to see how guitars would work for his style of music, but for critiquing sheer build quality, fretwork, and the like, I've never seen anything better. He was just brutally relentless about finding faults. I think his ability to be negative made me immediately like and trust him haha!

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I watched some channel called Arnold Plays Guitar, all done by a guy just playing downtuned death metal riffs with a ton of distortion. But he was so insanely critical, I immediately trusted his analysis. His tone analysis wasn't something useful to me, since he just wanted to see how guitars would work for his style of music, but for critiquing sheer build quality, fretwork, and the like, I've never seen anything better. He was just brutally relentless about finding faults. I think his ability to be negative made me immediately like and trust him haha!

And then there are those promotion paid channels that try to make us belileve that they are critical and fault-finding, like our friend EytschPi42 strongly criticizing and hating the way that Ibanez gives names to their guitars 🤣

BTW, in case someone is interested, someone dropped this comment at one of his videos
1668522641511.png

I've been on a real journey with this guitar. This thing feels amazing, and it stays in tune like nobody's business. It's all I've played since I got it. I've tried 101 wirings, and a drawer full of pickups, but the tone is always something that's nagged me. I just found myself EQing it way way way too much, and finding that the best EQ was always right after the input block, like the tone of the guitar itself has been bothering me.

It took me a long time to discover I do not ever want a neck humbucker. A Strat single coil is right for me, maybe even moreso a P90, if I ever get around to it. So that was one piece of the puzzle I solved recently. I had months ago bought an Artec Giovanni GCS-LN, which I quickly dismissed for having too drastic of a tone difference with my bridge, so it went in my drawer. Just recently I found I needed to come to grips with my constant desire for a single coil neck, and I slapped it back in this guitar; I found all I had to do was roll back the tone when the volume knob is at full, and it does just fine to balance with the bridge for leads. When I roll back the volume, any tone setting works beautifully with this pickup; it's awesome.

Which leads me to the bridge. The Duncan Saturday Night Specials are unbelievable pickups; I love them. And in my Washburn Trevor Rabin, they are the bees knees. But in my Sun Valley, the bridge just sounds like bees. The bridge pickup that came in my Trevor Rabin is the JB, which, to me, sounded just harsh and terrible in that guitar, at least the way I was playing at that time. I swore I'd always hate that pickup. But I've tried so many different bridge pickups in my Super Shredder, I was sure there was no point in trying the JB too.

But I was wrong. In my exasperation, I finally caved and tried this hated JB in the bridge of my Super Shredder, and My God, it couldn't have sounded more perfect. It was like lightning struck, like the frequencies were just right, and this is with A500k pots for the volume and tone (I am using A250k pots for the single coil though, and both are wired 50s Les Paul style, with low value caps). With this JB I'm experiencing that phenomenon where you're playing, and a moderately low amount of gain is so perfect that adding any more just sounds like you're blanketing the magic. It demands a Plexi for ultimate expression, with the gain maybe at 7 max.

And I found, for once, the right voice for this axe. Like I said, it plays great, feels great and natural, and stays in tune with heavy heavy trem abuse. It's just solid as a rock, and now, for the first time, the inherent tone is just right for me, without EQ on the guitar itself. Like, maybe I could go for a P90 neck just for output, but I'm not sure, and the Giovanni is truly fantastic, and hum cancelling too. But that's a question of flavor, not fundamentally good or bad. The Giovanni is just so great for any kind is expression I want to lob, and it has all the chime and articulation I'd want.

Anyway, the lesson I've had drilled into me is what I knew intellectually, but this made it more clear than ever, a pickup is never good or bad, it's just either matched with the right guitar or not.

Dude, thanks for the suggestions! I was actually looking at the Fralins, because I saw one was advertised as having a more Strat-like character when you roll back. I think the ideal might be something that sounds like a P90 with the volume at full but a Strat when it's rolled back.

What I need to do is go play a guitar with P90s at a store to see how they feel under the fingers.

A great low output PAF is fantastic in the neck. I think it's far harder to find anything with even a medium output that works here though.

What I did for a while was to use the Saturday Night Special and roll in back. It has amazing dynamics, but I was missing that inherent Strat chime, unless I let the bridge become weak and thin sounding using the Wrecker Rocket, some Vox, or the Deluxe Vibrato models. That's the reason I'm going for a Strat single-coil in the neck, so that I set the amp to one setting that gives me mids in the bridge and a chine in the neck. With two humbuckers, if I set an amp for a neck chime, the bridge loses any strength.

I can't find the original post, but it's quoted here. My wife and I have experienced similar stuff, and it destroys me to think about.

My poor pickguard had been through hell and looks like it, and no one makes replacements, although there are custom pickguard makers who will make one in any shape if you provided them the right file or send in your original. I may do that one day. But you can see here I took balsa wood that I stained blue to cover the rest of the neck humbucker slot, and I took out the blade switch altogether and replaced it with a two way mini toggle as my pickup selector:

IMG_0044.jpeg

My poor pickguard had been through hell and looks like it, and no one makes replacements, although there are custom pickguard makers who will make one in any shape if you provided them the right file or send in your original. I may do that one day. But you can see here I took balsa wood that I stained blue to cover the rest of the neck humbucker slot, and I took out the blade switch altogether and replaced it with a two way mini toggle as my pickup selector:

View attachment 126921
That is a sweet axe!!!

Well, as I go through different amps and set up new tones based on my JB / GCS-LN setup, I'm finding the balance between them is actually really badass. I'm finding that I'm not really missing anything!

I set the height of the pickups carefully. I always make sure that the bridge will allow room to pull the Floyd up all the way with the highest fret depressed, so I know I don't want to go higher than that, then I'll set the bridge by ear with that limit in mind, next I'll set the neck to balance output wise. But these pickups are so different, what I felt was not to try to match the output of the neck and bridge, but the character. Whatever it was in my mind at the time, it worked, and tonight I tried all these different amps I normally don't touch, all with my favorite static IR, a 5150 with 414 mic I captured from TH-U some time ago.

And what I was finding was just soul, all over the place. I felt like I was getting holy grail brown sound tones on the bridge, with SRV tones, just by using the pickup selector. Standout amps were the 50W 5150 III Blue channel, as well as the Cameron Atomica high, neither of which is surprising.

I just came to grips with my utter need to play a single coil in the neck. I still don't know if it always has to be a Strat neck or if a P90 would be fine in the future, but for the moment, this Artec Giovanni neck is proving it gives me all the soul I was looking for.

I've always found Slash's neck tones just made me think of single coil neck tones, and I found myself playing parts of Appetite for Destruction neck lines with the most satisfying character. This means a lot to me, because I've felt with this guitar that having 24 frets is somewhat robbing me of the most soulful neck tones.

Since I have independence volume and tone knobs for each pickup, I found that simply rolling back the tone knob on the neck with the volume all the way up just makes it feel like a 22 fretter. And when I roll back the volume to clean up, I can go as far as I want turning up the tone knob to get all the clean Strat articulation and chime I'd want.

I think HS and HSS guitars with locking trems are far less focused on with the big manufacturers these days, with the notable exception of Charvel, who has a number of offerings.

HSS and HS setups with a Floyd feel very 80s to me, which is a good thing in my book. Maybe I'm too '80s for my own good, but it's a problem I've always had. Hell, I watched The Lost Boys once a week for a very long time.

Last edited:
I had this particular ice pick coming from the bridge of this guitar, no matter what pickup I installed there; it drove me nuts. Modding the resonant frequency with trimpots was a solution, but I still felt like the output was unusually low and weird, no matter the pickup.

Since I bought the guitar I also realized I just do not like the way neck humbuckers balance tonally with bridge humbuckers, so I'm either a P90 or Strat neck guy. The Artec Giovanni GCS-LN in the neck was awesome with the tone pot rolled back, but the output could not compete with a humbucker.

So I read quite a bit over time and finally decided to try a Duncan Blackouts HS configuration, for these reasons:

• I've owned Blackouts before (7 string), and I loved their versatility
  • They do not compress in their own preamps like EMGs; they act like very high output passives
  • The volume and tone knobs really work very well to achieve an extremely wide range of tones
  • The Blackouts Strat AS-1 pickup completely matches the Blackouts AHB-1 bridge humbucker in output
  • They have greater noise rejection due to the balanced input in their differential preamp, which is perfect for me since I like to adjust my volume and tone knobs often
I am loving this set. The AHB-1 bridge went a long way to help mitigate the harsh 2.3kHz ice pick, but not completely, and this was because I had also been using D'Addario XL Balanced Tension 9s. So I decided to revert to what I used to use, the D'Addario XL Balanced Tension 10s, and that was the final piece of the puzzle. Between the AHB-1 and the heftier strings, the pick attack that had been so harsh is now supported by the lows and mids it needs to round out and make the attack sound like a cool, angry bite that is pleasing.

Another advantage is the tone and warmth of the Blackouts Strat neck. This guitar has 24 frets, and I've just struggled to get the kind of warm Strat neck tone I've wanted from it. With the AS-1 it sounds, to my ears, very much like a 22 fret Strat neck when I roll back the volume.

So I think I've finally found my happy place with this guitar, after a few years of searching.

I've actually found that the stock pickups (Schecter sunset strip bridge and Pasadena neck) have become my favourite pickups of all my guitars. I do have the hardtail version so it might be slightly different to the trem.

I can't seem to find the Sunset Strip at all in the UK so I can't put them into any other guitars ☹️

Back
Top Bottom