NGD: Parker 824 Dragonfly

Is there enough space between the the bridge pickup and the the bridge to mount a Roland GK pickup?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thats right. The Ghost system has a card that snaps onto the amplifier card for the piezo and it gives you midi out without adding another pickup to the guitar.

You do need to install a 13 pin jack though.

that guitar has the fishman system though. you'd need to remove that and retrofit the acoustiphonic preamp with the midi hexpander board. you'd also need to make a hole in the side for the 13 pin output. it would be a pretty major piece of work.

i would recommend replacing the fishman saddles for the graphtech ones though. black saddles would look better on this guitar and they also sound better too. the fishman saddles seem to add some very low and very high frequencies... you can keep the fishman preamp, or replace it with the graphtech one. bear in mind that the graphtech saddles are not electrically conductive, so you must use a dremel to remove a little of the black powder coating from inside the string channels, otherwise the bridge will no longer be grounded.

The Roland synths work better with their mini humbucker pickups than with piezos. I've got a guitar with the Ghost system built in & I prefer the function of the GK pickup (the volume knob is actually well placed for quick changes and the 3 position toggle is much easier to switch on the fly than a mini toggle amongst the guitar knobs). I also like not needing to have a battery in the guitar. I do all acoustic sounds through modeling now (GR55) & much prefer it to any piezo sounds I ever got previously.

So, I've been toying with the idea of getting another guitar for my main guitar and I miss the bridge function (I still think it's the best design of any vibrato tailpiece) & the stainless steel frets of my old Fly. But, it looks like there's not enough room between the bridge & the bridge pickup on the Dragonfly's now that they have a standard pickup ring.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

That's good to hear about the comparison between the Roland and a piezo for midi. Never talked to anyone who's played both.

This guitar would probably be too tight a squeeze for the Roland pickup.

This guitars whammy bar doesn't work as well as the fly does. The new headstock doesn't have a straight line from the nut to the tuner. The low E string has a pretty severe angle causing all kinds of string binding. Going to take it to a good luthier and have him move the tuner post.

Back
Top Bottom