NGD - My foray into 7 string

Yep, these. I'm almost exclusively 7-string these days except for my '68 Gibson acoustic. Yes you get some interesting looks showing up to play cover songs or funk with a 7-string, but if you learn how to incorporate it, you can do cool stuff. My learning process was similar to what Chris described.

One thing among many - it's great having additional 'space' to do a turnaround at the bottom of a pentatonic lick. Your traditional blues box just gained another 4th/5th below it.

Jazz chords and voicings especially become way more flexible and cool. One of my 7-strings is a hollowbody which is a ton of fun once you get a handle on some new chord shapes (was almost going to say non-traditional, but 7-strings go back a long way in both jazz and classical guitar).

I'm currently building a half-fretted/half-fretless Ibanez to experiment with (frets deleted after #10). That feels way more weird than adding another string did.

I may have a few :)

View attachment 78706View attachment 78707
nice! yeah i want to get a 7 string acoustic soon, nothing too expensive. it really is nice having that extra string below for finishing up licks or just playing the 5th below.

would you happen to know any resources for chord shapes/voicings for 7 string? i've looked briefly but didn't find much. just if anything exists already, not asking you to type anything out :)

nice! yeah i want to get a 7 string acoustic soon, nothing too expensive. it really is nice having that extra string below for finishing up licks or just playing the 5th below.

would you happen to know any resources for chord shapes/voicings for 7 string? i've looked briefly but didn't find much. just if anything exists already, not asking you to type anything out :)
I have this guy's book for the 8 string greek modes. It helped a lot in that transition, I would check it out! He has stuff for 7 and 6 string as well, mostly just scale/mode diagrams.

https://www.rob-silver.com/p/book-shop-7-string.html?m=1

Back
Top Bottom