NGD - My foray into 7 string

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
This was a total impulse buy today. Rather than just adding guitars for the numbers I really want each guitar to offer something unique that the others don't shine at. I had an epiphone that I heavily modded over time but could just never bond with it so when i saw this guitar at the shop I traded it towards. I have never played 7 string before; hell I can barely play 6 strings but i want one guitar to get me heavy downtuned tones and be able to finally play some of my fav Dream Theater songs, nay 'attempt' is the word I'm looking for.

This is the Mark Holcomb PRS SE 7. It plays quite nice and its not just a djent machine.

Attachments

• ngd.jpeg
    ngd.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • ngd1.jpeg
    ngd1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
You'll quickly get used to it. Have fun! I hope you've found your guitar. I'm also not a djenter, I use my 7 string for everything from jazz and funk to metal.

One thing i'm starting to realize and perhaps, dare I say it, maturing a bit. I'm leaning more towards fixed bridges. My 16 yr old self would slap me in the face right now. I'm having some tuning stability issues with it and did some research about it. Apparently the nut on many SE guitars are notoriously bad for pinching strings. Not sure thats the issue and will restring the guitar to see if that's still a problem. But my god, that low B thump is something else!

Congrats!

Ive had a few 7s, but ive come to terms that I would rather just tune down a 6.
Yeah, me too. Too much weirdness in holding a 7 string neck in my hand just for 4 extra semitones. If I need them I'd rather tune my E-string down for that one song that I need them. Of course YMMV. Djent away, good sir!

Yeah, me too. Too much weirdness in holding a 7 string neck in my hand just for 4 extra semitones. If I need them I'd rather tune my E-string down for that one song that I need them. Of course YMMV. Djent away, good sir!
That's how I feel about my 5 string bass. It just makes the other strings seem wrong.

Apparently the nut on many SE guitars are notoriously bad for pinching strings. Not sure thats the issue and will restring the guitar to see if that's still a problem. But my god, that low B thump is something else!
My first SE (2009 Custom 22) had this issue; I replaced the nut and it's been great ever since. My other SE (25th Anniversary Custom 24) has always tuned well, although I bought it used so it's possible the previous owner replaced it.

It's all new for me but I'm not 100% sure the 7 string is for me. Maybe too old skool but used to wrapping my thumb around. I have massive hands so i actually can do it on the 7 but I'm kinda thinking about getting the 6 string version. Can do drop B/C and get those lower tunings while still maintaining 6 string thinking/feel. IDK feeling cute. might change my mind later. I have 2 weeks to decide on this beast. I do like the 20" radius neck and the longer scale length for my big hands. That part just sorta feels natural. Quite the leap away from my Ernie Ball Axis which by comparison feels like a childs instrument.

That's how I feel about my 5 string bass. It just makes the other strings seem wrong.
Yeah this.
I picked up an Ibanez 5 string bass some years ago, and was amazed at how it suddenly made me unable to play anything.
I realize that this is a fairly serious blot on my pretensions of being an Adaptable Human, but I just got sick of fighting with my own instincts.
Replaced it with a 4 string, like the good lord intended, much happier.
I've been playing a long time, and I guess some grooves have been worn.

But props to the guys with wrong numbers of strings on, go for it!

Last edited:
Yeah this.
I picked up an Ibanez 5 string bass some years ago, and was amazed at how it suddenly made me unable to play anything.
I realize that this is a fairly serious blot on my pretensions of being an Adaptable Human, but I just got sick of fighting with own instincts.

Yep, Ibanez 375 for me as well. It's a great bass except the 5 strings. Thing is, I play it so infrequently that I haven't bothered to trade it yet.

It's all new for me but I'm not 100% sure the 7 string is for me. Maybe too old skool but used to wrapping my thumb around. I have massive hands so i actually can do it on the 7 but I'm kinda thinking about getting the 6 string version. Can do drop B/C and get those lower tunings while still maintaining 6 string thinking/feel. IDK feeling cute. might change my mind later. I have 2 weeks to decide on this beast. I do like the 20" radius neck and the longer scale length for my big hands. That part just sorta feels natural. Quite the leap away from my Ernie Ball Axis which by comparison feels like a childs instrument.

Yeah this.
I realize that this is a fairly serious blot on my pretensions of being an Adaptable Human, but I just got sick of fighting with my own instincts.

And this, my fine compadre's, is why drop tuning was invented. Personally if I need a low B or even A I much prefer to tune the low E down and leave the other strings as is thento add a 7th string. Feels more natural in the hand, while still forcing you to think differently about your guitar as you've now skipped a string. It's the less is more vs. more is more approach I guess. And neither is better or wrong in that regard. Take your pick.

Speaking of more is more on extended range guitars:

One thing i'm starting to realize and perhaps, dare I say it, maturing a bit. I'm leaning more towards fixed bridges. My 16 yr old self would slap me in the face right now. I'm having some tuning stability issues with it and did some research about it. Apparently the nut on many SE guitars are notoriously bad for pinching strings. Not sure thats the issue and will restring the guitar to see if that's still a problem. But my god, that low B thump is something else!

I grew up a major Vai junkie and fixed-bridge guitars were blasphemy to me when I was 16 and I find myself contemplating more fixed bridge guitars than I do guitars with a trem. I feel like between my JEM and Strat, I have all the whammy I need. But a Tele...and Explorer...an LP Custom, those are much more appealing to me these days. I’m dying to try an Evertune and plan on snagging a Solar E-type this year.

i've recently decided to be a 7-string player primarily.

i got a 7 string around 2005 when i was gigging regularly with a 5 piece band. my bassist used a 5-string and i thought it would be cool to do some unisons on the low B string. but at the time, i just wasn't ready musically to add that 7th string. most of what i played on guitar was in the higher registers anyway, chords and melodic lines. occasionally i could use a lower D or C, but it was so infrequent - and such a chore to "ignore" that 7th string - that i eventually sold it. my musical knowledge also wasn't that great, so the extra notes really didn't mean much to me. i could barely improvise a basic solo with basic shapes, had to memorize any solos i played. i was good with chords for improvising or sitting in without rehearsing, but i didn't really know how to incorporate the 5 lower notes at all.

for the past 7 years or so, i've been playing solo and duo acoustic style cover song gigs. it has pained me as a solo guitarist that the lowest D note is the open string. compared to even a C on the A string, it sounded so thin and not full compared to songs in E, G, A, etc. i play floating trem guitars, so retuning to drop D takes time and i don't want to do that. (i've tried all the trem locks, but don't like them). i also don't like using effects/pedals for the primary sound of my guitar, so no octave effects or pedals. i want people to see one guy with a guitar, and that's what they hear. (this is generally speaking, and just my concept of a guitarist for myself. many friends use all sorts of effects and sound great!)

i've been listening to Animals as Leaders for a while now, and the 8 string guitar concept - where the lowest string is another E - sounded so intruiguing to me as an "acoustic" player. i also remembered from my previous 7 string experience that you could play a nice D chord with a similar shape to an open G, and get that lower D note to sound full. my fretboard knowledge has improved a bit over time as well, and the frets actually became notes to me, rather than just positions and numbers. so i decided to give 7 string another try.

i got the guitar, and yup - it immediately was a pain. the 7th string was "in the way" constantly. i felt i couldn't play my 6 string stuff anymore. string spacing/position is slightly different as the neck is a bit wider, i kept missing the string playing in the middle of them rather than hitting them like normal. aside from that big D chord i described, or a Bsus2 chord, i didn't know at all how to use the low string. i was right back where i was in 2005.

but i decided to change my view on the guitar. rather than seeing it as a regular guitar plus one string, i approached it as a different instrument. sure, i was familiar with 90% of the fretboard (the 6 normal strings), but i approached playing chords "from the 7th string first" if that makes any sense. i may not be playing that low string in a chord, but i visualized the chord from there first.

just like playing an open A where you mute/bypass the low E, i visualized an open E the same way. F#m, G, etc. same thing. we've been playing guitars where the E string is the lowest and "nothing is in the way" and "no string to skip over" forever. so it's just a new habit that needs to be formed. once i got my "E string" chords down that way, i then moved to the "A string" chords. this was more difficult because i had to "skip" 2 strings now. all i did for these chords was have my left hand off the guitar, then naturally put it on and immedately hold a chord. often it went slightly to the wrong place. but in just a short amount of time of this type of practice - which seems silly of course - it felt more and more natural.

another huge problem was i was so used to using my thumb to fret notes in certain chords. D/F#, some F#m chords, sometimes an F note for an open Fadd9 where i can't bar the 1st fret, etc. with a 7th string there, i have to either stretch my thumb much farther, or learn to fret the chords differently. i tried the stretch thing first, as it was major habit, and it didn't work too well. so my D/F# and other chords now use fingers and no thumb. this took a while to reprogram, but it's pretty quick now. but this made me realize i can thumb some of the 7th string notes. i'm still working on this, but i can play a standard open C, and put my thumb on the first fret for a low C now. slide up 2 frets and you get that fun D chord, now with a low D. lately i'm trying to learn standard chord shapes incorporating the B string. i can do a basic minor triad now while muting the E string, but it sounds super plain. still, i have it. exploring other "new" shapes as well.

i can also do a good number of Drop D songs (or other lower tunings) without changing tunings at all. it's voiced a bit different, and i may have to jump around the fretboard a bit more than with a Drop D tuning, but it's possible and sounds good without tuning or having a 2nd guitar.

many people drop the B string to an A for a "Drop D" approach to those strings. personally, i don't want to do that though. i do like how you can hold an "e string" chord and the 5th is under it on the B string, but i don't like that notes are "2 frets off" with that tuning. that puts a D on the 5th fret instead of 3rd, and i can't play that open D chord anymore, and would be forced to play a 5th fret "a string" D instead. also, almost all my gigs with other people are never rehearsed. i need to have command of my instrument and know where things are so when my partner calls a song, i can just find the chords using my ears. this is mostly why i never use alternate tunings, as i need to be fast to find the chords while i play a song for the first time. so the 7 string drop A thing won't work for me. if i played more rock stuff and it was rehearsed, i could drop the A most likely. but for "standard chords" and music, i find that the standard tuning works the best.

i think it's common to get a 7 string and "ignore the 7th string" for a while, and just play what you're used to. i think this can work eventually. but ignoring the string just means you never use it, which means why do you have it? it all changed for me when i approached all chords and notes including the 7th string, even if i didn't play it. that really made it come together for me. many habits had to be unlearned or changed, and new things in general had to be learned, repeated, learned, etc. the 7th string is an "also" not an "instead of."

for the solo/duo acoustic thing, i really, really like having that 7th string there. it's only 5 more notes, but i try to use it as much as possible. even just basic things like having a low D to go to while in the key of G just makes more sense when improvising chords or melodies. now my "problem" low notes are a Bb and A, as the open A is the lowest A i can get. that's still low enough for me to sound full, but i do wish i had those notes (but won't "drop A" to get it like i mentioned). but that's totally ok.

when i pick up my 6 string now, the neck seems SO small haha. because of the slight string spacing/position difference, i do have to practice on it from time to time. but the transition between the 2 isn't that big of a deal really, now that i'm familiar with the 7.

if you're just doing "lowest string chug" types of things, i think a 7 string will be easy to transition to. the intervals are generally the same compared to a 6 string. if you're playing "classic" rock riffs and songs which were designed around what a 6 string offers, you may never find a need for the 7th string just because it was orchestrated on a 6. even substituting notes to the lower octave, it may even sound wrong since these types of songs are so ingrained in our minds. in these 2 situations, the music is orchestrated for the guitar, so using a 7 string guitar may not have any relevance as those extra notes are nowhere to be found in that music.

if you approach guitar and music in a more general manner though, this is where i think an extended range guitar can be a benefit compared to just tuning a 6 string in an alternate way, or just lower. with alternate tuning or lower tuning, you're still performing songs orchestrated on that instrument. majority of Drop D songs are performed in a unique way because of that tuning. low tuned guitars are the same intervals/orchestrations, just in a lower tuning.

when i play songs, they're in different keys, i or my partners may perform them in a different way from the original orchestration, and with that, we simply need the notes, not the specific sequence/orchestration to perform the song. so we just need the chords in general, and not the exact original way it was orchestrated on the instrument. that's when the extra notes come in handy for me. when i play guitar, i mostly am not playing from memory. it's a more "in the moment" thing where i know the chords i need and grab them as i feel right then, rather than "this is how the song goes, play it the same way every time." that's just my approach, of course nothing wrong with rote memorization! so having the notes available is nice if i'm feeling those lower notes in that moment.

i'm by no means an expert on 7 string at all. but i'm at a place where i'm very comfortable on it, can incorporate the lower notes often as needed (but still learning!), and do prefer having it vs a 6 string. it just takes time and maybe coming to terms with why you want a 7, and if it fits in with what music you're performing.

life story, sorry. but that's where i am with the journey so far.

Last edited:
And this, my fine compadre's, is why drop tuning was invented. Personally if I need a low B or even A I much prefer to tune the low E down and leave the other strings as is thento add a 7th string. Feels more natural in the hand, while still forcing you to think differently about your guitar as you've now skipped a string. It's the less is more vs. more is more approach I guess. And neither is better or wrong in that regard. Take your pick.

There’s no way I could play in tune with an E string tuned down to B or A. I’ve got a guitar for each tuning, E/Drop D, D/Drop C, Drop-B, I spent a while playing with different gauges because if the tension isn’t just right, I’ll just have bouwowowowow every time my right hand hits the strings.

I love 7-strings, but more for the way it feels when you play them than the extra string. The way the strings resonate through the neck, it feels like there’s more vibration going on in them than a 6-string. I just played that same Holcomb model at GC over the weekend, definitely a cool guitar. I’ve considered getting an SE quite a bit in the last year.

I added a Warmoth long-scale baritone conversion neck to my 6-string Tele partscaster. It's very cool...

Last time I played a 7 string was probably a few years after the first Vai Ibanez was released... :D

There’s no way I could play in tune with an E string tuned down to B or A. I’ve got a guitar for each tuning, E/Drop D, D/Drop C, Drop-B, I spent a while playing with different gauges because if the tension isn’t just right, I’ll just have bouwowowowow every time my right hand hits the strings.
For one song its perfectly fine. Unless you got a tremelo equipped guitar of course. If you want to do it permanently I recommend getting a thicker lower E string though.

For one song its perfectly fine. Unless you got a tremelo equipped guitar of course. If you want to do it permanently I recommend getting a thicker lower E string though.

Hahahaha If you don’t mind that one song sounding like booowwowowowoww. For me, I can’t do it. I can’t hit the strings light enough to not get the rubber band thing going. Not from E to B/A. Drop D, sure.

An extra low string doesn't only mean a few semitones more. It also means more freedom in playing chords all around the neck. I ended up buying a 7 string classic guitar too, because of this.

Crocodile Dundee shows up at GC with that guitar and says to someone playing 7 string 'you call that a guitahh?'

After about a week giving it an honest go and playing around with the action I've pretty much decided to keep it. It's fun to play and inspiring me to play as when I first started out. Isn't that what its all about? picking up an instrument that is 'fun' to play and challenges you. The neck is really sweet on this guitar after tinkering around with the action and loving the 20" radius. I've always leaned towards lead playing and what I like is this guitar is making me focus on my right hand technique. Also, the Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega pickup set is incredible.

if you approach guitar and music in a more general manner though, this is where i think an extended range guitar can be a benefit compared to just tuning a 6 string in an alternate way, or just lower. with alternate tuning or lower tuning, you're still performing songs orchestrated on that instrument.

An extra low string doesn't only mean a few semitones more. It also means more freedom in playing chords all around the neck. I ended up buying a 7 string classic guitar too, because of this.

Yep, these. I'm almost exclusively 7-string these days except for my '68 Gibson acoustic. Yes you get some interesting looks showing up to play cover songs or funk with a 7-string, but if you learn how to incorporate it, you can do cool stuff. My learning process was similar to what Chris described.

One thing among many - it's great having additional 'space' to do a turnaround at the bottom of a pentatonic lick. Your traditional blues box just gained another 4th/5th below it.

Jazz chords and voicings especially become way more flexible and cool. One of my 7-strings is a hollowbody which is a ton of fun once you get a handle on some new chord shapes (was almost going to say non-traditional, but 7-strings go back a long way in both jazz and classical guitar).

I'm currently building a half-fretted/half-fretless Ibanez to experiment with (frets deleted after #10). That feels way more weird than adding another string did.

I may have a few :)

90450764_10102072186329029_422402933980659712_n.jpg90242785_10102072186294099_1178351692433850368_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom