NGD - my first Suhr!

Nope. Let's just say it was only a start. I actually bought two more over the next couple years, one of which I sold when I came to the conclusion that I'm strictly a Floyd Rose kinda guy when I use a whammy. The vintage tremolo was fine and stayed in tune for most things, but I'm so used to the way a Floyd feels I just never fully bonded with it.

Oh, my first one is the one in my avatar. And Suhr is still on my wishlist at some point. I went Anderson first because I found that blue one used with pretty close to the specs I was looking for in a Suhr or Anderson.
That's a real fear that I have - is this a "gateway Suhr"? :D

I definitely wanted a Floyd over the vintage. I have both a PRS Custom 24 and a Charvel DK-24 ProMod with the vintage style trems (good ones) and it's just not as reliable for tuning stability.

You might consider a series/parallel switch for the neck. The parallel sound gets you a brighter, punchier tone that may help assuage the need for a single coil neck pickup. If the tone pot is not already a pull pot, you could swap one in, and it would be an 'invisible' mod. My SE24 has these switches, and the neck 'bucker, located where it is with the 24 fret neck, sounds fantastic with either mode, but is especially nice in parallel mode....
Good idea... I do like how parallel sounds better than typical split coils.

I don't think this has any split option already wired, but not difficult to do.

Another option would potentially be a humbucker sized P90.

That's a real fear that I have - is this a "gateway Suhr"? :D

I definitely wanted a Floyd over the vintage. I have both a PRS Custom 24 and a Charvel DK-24 ProMod with the vintage style trems (good ones) and it's just not as reliable for tuning stability.
I feel that.
My SE24 was a 'gateway' PRS. I do ok with a vintage trem, though, as long as the nut is cut well and lubed well. I may see about some self-locking Grovers in the future, though, if there is any issue with the stock tuners' stability. My Strat and my HLK Southern Belle have them, and they are a joy to restring as well as rock solid in the tuning stability metric....

Good idea... I do like how parallel sounds better than typical split coils.

I don't think this has any split option already wired, but not difficult to do.

Another option would potentially be a humbucker sized P90.
another option is splitting the coil but only sending a percentage of the coil to ground through a resistor. This can emulate the sound of a P 90. Try a 2.2K to start. BTW- CONGRATS on the good fortune, the guitar is stunning! I hope we get to see and hear some video content. Maybe an "unboxing"....?

The pickups are 4-conductor and the 5-way switch uses only a single coil from the neck or bridge pickup when the 5-way is in position 2 or 4 according to the Suhr site: https://www.suhr.com/instruments-2017/modern/suhr-modern-pro/

So a pull-to-tap wouldn't be hard to make happen.
Not at all difficult.

With a 5-way 4-pole 'super switch', it would even be possible to have s/p switching in the neck spot only, and default to series in the other switch positions (or just default to series in the neck/middle spot), so you can keep the auto-split on neck/middle.

My Strat's bridge pickup defaults to parallel in all but the bridge spot, and follows the setting of a mini toggle s/p switch when used alone. It opens up a lot of 'ease of use' stuff for my purposes.

I have a Suhr strat, and it's magnificent. I love the feel and tone of that instrument. I'm sure you'll be delighted with this guitar.

Had a bad experience one time with a Suhr rep a decade ago so I never gave them any more attention. That Strat is absolutely GORGEOUS @unix-guy! It's just screaming for a Lakers sticker! :)
I'm in the middle of Warriors and Kings territory... But I'm not much into sportsball as an adult. Back in the day I was a big Celtics fan.

However, if someone dares to put a sticker on that guitar they better hope they don't get caught ;)

Congrats on the promotion and the guitar!

I've played a handful of Suhr's and they're some of the nicest guitars being made today IMO. You're in for a treat

Congratulations on the promotion! When all that work pays off with a nice new guitar, life is going your way. Always wanted to give one of these a try. I’m looking forward to your review when it arrives!

nice... love the purple + roasted maple. and congrats on the promotion that allowed you to splurge on something this awesome :)

Regarding the neck pickup, I know Seymour Duncan does "single coil in a humbucker size" through their custom shop. They'll put any of their SC winds in it, if I read it right. Not sure, but I would think other companies would do the same. Or like you said, do an HB size P-90, there seems to be quite a lot of that out there nowadays.

nice... love the purple + roasted maple. and congrats on the promotion that allowed you to splurge on something this awesome :)

Regarding the neck pickup, I know Seymour Duncan does "single coil in a humbucker size" through their custom shop. They'll put any of their SC winds in it, if I read it right. Not sure, but I would think other companies would do the same. Or like you said, do an HB size P-90, there seems to be quite a lot of that out there nowadays.
While I know Duncans are very popular that would be a serious downgrade from the Suhr pickups IMO. I'd try push-pull for series/parallel if you like using gain, or coil tap if you are more of a low-gain guy. First step at least.

If you don't find that working out you can always try something else after, but Suhr pickups are great, and I believe they work well when split or run series/parallel.

Back
Top Bottom