NGD inbound

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Well, I did it again.

In all fairness the price was just too good to pass up for such a great guitar. It's a case queen that cost me $1100 less than my other USA model which I also bought used and at a good price! And that includes upgraded locking saddles...

Also, the DK-24 USA Select with figured tops are not typically available in an HH config (usually that's a solid finish option), but I've seen a few.

They also almost always have a transparent reddish stain over the lightly figured alder body.

This one has a clear finish on the back which looks like it's roasted and also maybe swamp ash and not alder... Not sure, though.

A few pictures from the Reverb listing:

IMG_6168.jpegIMG_6169.jpegIMG_6170.jpeg

Well, I did it again.

In all fairness the price was just too good to pass up for such a great guitar. It's a case queen that cost me $1100 less than my other USA model which I also bought used and at a good price! And that includes upgraded locking saddles...

Also, the DK-24 USA Select with figured tops are not typically available in an HH config (usually that's a solid finish option), but I've seen a few.

They also almost always have a transparent reddish stain over the lightly figured alder body.

This one has a clear finish on the back which looks like it's roasted and also maybe swamp ash and not alder... Not sure, though.

A few pictures from the Reverb listing:

View attachment 140455View attachment 140456View attachment 140457
Stunning! Stupifyin' even....

There is a song also "I did it again." I little bit change those words..
"
I think I did it again
I made you believe I don't buy guitar no more
Oh man!
It might seem like a crush
But it doesn't mean that I'm serious
'Cause to lose all my senses
That is just so typically me
Oh baby, baby
Oops, I did it again
I bought new guitar
I played with my guitar and lost in the game

Oh baby, baby
Oops, you think I'm in love
Yes! I'm in love with my new guitar.
I'm not that innocent
You see my problem is this
I'm dreaming away again with new guitars
"

I wonder if there is place to help guitarist not to buy more and more guitars (Anonymous Guitarists).
There is AA groups but noting for guitarists. Maybe this is not so big problem.

Just joking
--------------------

Very nice guitar, nice looking and I bet it plays nicely and sounds great!

:D

Ok... Somebody help me out here.

Assuming this switching diagram is correct (it's from the current year HH model), I would expect positions 2 and 4 to sound identical with the series/parallel switch in either position, since only 1 coil is being used from each humbucker.

Unless the S/P also applies to the combination of those 2 coils?

There's a distinct difference in the sound...

1716612853184.png

@Joe Bfstplk @Andy Eagle

Assuming this switching diagram is correct (it's from the current year HH model), I would expect positions 2 and 4 to sound identical with the series/parallel switch in either position, since only 1 coil is being used from each humbucker.

View attachment 140785

@Joe Bfstplk @Andy Eagle
This appears to be what my modified CU24 wiring provides, except positions 2 and 4 are swapped.

On a 24 fret guitar, or one where the Neck HB is in that position (SG, a few others, including yours), there is actually a fair amount of distinction between 2 and 4.

Inner Coils approaches Strat quack somewhat, while Outer Coils is much more in the clucky Tele direction. Never had a 22 fret guitar with this wiring, so I have no frame of reference for that....

View attachment 140785

@Joe Bfstplk @Andy Eagle
It's about where the coils are under the strings, and the distance between the two coils, and the different comb filtering it sets up....

The original Strat 3 way switch allowed selection of one pickup at a time. Leo didn't like the loading effects and comb filtering when both pickups were on in the Tele, so a middle pickup was added and you got one at a time. The switch was "make before break", so the switch contacts engaged the next contact before disengaging the one switched away from. This helped reduce switching noises and pops. People discovered this provided two extra sounds, and would balance the switch on the detents. Some even ground a bit off the peaks of the switch detent cam to make it easier to get the switch to stay there, essentially inventing the 5 way switch.... Eventually Fender started providing them as standard equipment....

All of the above (and some things not mentioned for the sake of brevity) is before the variable of where you pick the string is added....

Twangin' on yer gweeter has a lot of physics and math going on....

A good sized chunk all good discovery is via "hmmm, that's strange" moments rather than "eureka" moments.

Last edited:
The splits will not change with the series parallel switch.
That's what I thought, too... But they definitely sound different.

Put the 5 way in position 2, change the S/P switch and it sounds different. Same thing when in position 4...

Back
Top Bottom