NGD inbound

This appears to be what my modified CU24 wiring provides, except positions 2 and 4 are swapped.

On a 24 fret guitar, or one where the Neck HB is in that position (SG, a few others, including yours), there is actually a fair amount of distinction between 2 and 4.

Inner Coils approaches Strat quack somewhat, while Outer Coils is much more in the clucky Tele direction. Never had a 22 fret guitar with this wiring, so I have no frame of reference for that....
Right... But my question was about the S/P switch affecting the sound in positions 2 and 4, which it shouldn't... But it does!

Congratulations Man! It seems you have a type haha. Beautiful.

I would make a wiring diagram of what's in there and post it, or if you can get some fantastic photos to post, that way you'll be able to see for sure what's happening the S/P switch. I wonder if they would actually run the inner and outer coils in series with that switch, because that would be extremely unusual, but would definitely sound different than what we're used to, than with those combos in parallel.

Right... But my question was about the S/P switch affecting the sound in positions 2 and 4, which it shouldn't... But it does!
Ah, ok. Misread the q. Without a diagram or schematic of the wiring, it's hard to do more than guess ar how the s/p switch(es) and 4p5t will or won't interact. Ideally, they won't, but not a lot in the universe is ideal....

A couple of my own shitty pics side by side with my HSS DK-24.

View attachment 140781View attachment 140782

The new one (which I think is actually older) has a one-piece neck as far as I can tell - there's no visible seam on the fretboard edge. But the other one has nice flaming on it.
Cool guitars!
It would be interesting to hear the difference from the single coil in the neck (true single coil Vs split coil) but I think you have the parallel and not the split

Congratulations Man! It seems you have a type haha. Beautiful.

I would make a wiring diagram of what's in there and post it, or if you can get some fantastic photos to post, that way you'll be able to see for sure what's happening the S/P switch. I wonder if they would actually run the inner and outer coils in series with that switch, because that would be extremely unusual, but would definitely sound different than what we're used to, than with those combos in parallel.
I definitely do!

I'll try to take some pictures this afternoon and see what we can see.

I definitely do!

I'll try to take some pictures this afternoon and see what we can see.

I think the quick and dirty way to tell is to play through a very clean tone and engage that switch on the inners and outers. Does it sound like one is more midrangey with higher output, and the other scooped and more vintage sounding in comparison?

That's what I thought, too... But they definitely sound different.

Put the 5 way in position 2, change the S/P switch and it sounds different. Same thing when in position 4...
Is the series parallel switching swapping which coil is left on?

That's possible... So far, tapping on the coils doesn't give me any obvious way to tell which are active.

I've had trouble with this before, but I ended up being able to tell by turning off my noisegate all the way and tapping with a screwdriver with both a completely clean tone and a ludicrous amount of gain.

Back
Top Bottom