NGD!! - EVH

Love my Frankie, ended up putting in a new neck pickup and a kill switch.

I also just picked up a new EVH Frankie Relic in Vintage Sunburst a few days ago, and am going to put in a new neck pickup and ordered a new pickguard for it. Kinda view it as a platform like the Charvel Henrik Danhage.

Really liking the Wolfgang pickup as well, I might try swapping out a JB on one of my other guitars with a Wolfgang.

Tell us about the replacement neck please.

Tell us about the replacement neck please.

I ended up putting in a DiMarzio Area 67, simply because that what is also in the Charvel Henrik Danhage, which is also an HS with no tone knob.

I need to dial down the volume a little when using it otherwise it has a bit too much treble, but it mostly works for scratching the itch. Definitely tempted to try out others though.

The neck pickup that came with the Frankie was a bit too noisy when I tried it, though I also didn't have the noise gate dialed in with my main preset, so maybe it isn't too bad.

yes! also, where did you place your kill switch? i'm debating where i place mine once it arrives

I ended up putting it in the existing lower tone knob hole, though I'm not super happy with the location since it is a little out of the way (and the bar can be in the way).

Seems like putting it in front of the volume knob might be better location.

I also installed a 3-way pickup selector, though I never use the middle, so maybe a toggle would have been better. I briefly investigated tracking down a low friction push-push/push-pull, but decided to just not mess with the volume knob.

Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 3.42.01 PM.jpg

I ended up putting in a DiMarzio Area 67, simply because that what is also in the Charvel Henrik Danhage, which is also an HS with no tone knob.

I need to dial down the volume a little when using it otherwise it has a bit too much treble, but it mostly works for scratching the itch. Definitely tempted to try out others though.

The neck pickup that came with the Frankie was a bit too noisy when I tried it, though I also didn't have the noise gate dialed in with my main preset, so maybe it isn't too bad.

I ended up putting it in the existing lower tone knob hole, though I'm not super happy with the location since it is a little out of the way (and the bar can be in the way).

Seems like putting it in front of the volume knob might be better location.

I also installed a 3-way pickup selector, though I never use the middle, so maybe a toggle would have been better. I briefly investigated tracking down a low friction push-push/push-pull, but decided to just not mess with the volume knob.

View attachment 144116
I like the placement there. I'm of two minds. do as you did there and its subtle or the big arcade button that I ordered and either place at lower horn or on the pickguard

That also reminded me that I put an original Floyd in as well. Definitely nicer than the 1000/evh-branded, but not sure it I really needed it. I've haven't gotten the urge to do it on other guitars with the 1000.

I've seen other people mention stiff fine tuners on the 1000 (google "Floyd Rose 1000 - stiff fine tuners"), and people have suggested oil, and taping the threads...

I like the placement there. I'm of two minds. do as you did there and its subtle or the big arcade button that I ordered and either place at lower horn or on the pickguard
The tone knob hole should be 3/8". If you look at Amazon for 1NO pushbutton switches, you should be able to find a bunch to pick from that mount in that size....

Last edited:
That also reminded me that I put an original Floyd in as well. Definitely nicer than the 1000/evh-branded, but not sure it I really needed it. I've haven't gotten the urge to do it on other guitars with the 1000.

I've seen other people mention stiff fine tuners on the 1000 (google "Floyd Rose 1000 - stiff fine tuners"), and people have suggested oil, and taping the threads...
My new official Floyd - the 84 - had slightly stiff/scratchy feel on the fine tuners OOTB.

I used a little "Big Bends Nut Sauce" on the threads of each, and ran them all the way tight and loose again to work it in, and they are muuuuuuuch smooooooover now....

My new official Floyd - the 84 - had slightly stiff/scratchy feel on the fine tuners OOTB.

I used a little "Big Bends Nut Sauce" on the threads of each, and ran them all the way tight and loose again to work it in, and they are muuuuuuuch smooooooover now....
Your 84 is way better built than the 1000 series EVH . It’s a known issue. The 1000 can work as well and sound great but it’s comparatively rough around the edges.

Your 84 is way better built than the 1000 series EVH . It’s a known issue. The 1000 can work as well and sound great but it’s comparatively rough around the edges.

Yes, it seems very nice. It surprised me when the fine tuners weren't buttery-smooooove right out of the box, but a dab of Nut Sauce put everything right....

Back
Top Bottom