NGD - Balaguer Semi-Custom Typhon

The Raven

Inspired

I have wanted a Balaguer for a few years, but never could quite decide what I wanted until last spring. I waited quite a while for this to finally get to me (Ordered May 2022, received March 2023 due to them still dealing with supply issues but it's apparently mostly under control now). I was so excited for this one that I decided to make an unboxing video, so if you're interested in watching someone open their new toy and play it for the first time, check out the video. All the sound examples were recorded with the Axe Fx 3 with York Audio IR's.

I'm a big fan of this thing. An Explorer has been a bucket list guitar for me, but I have trust issues with Gibson guitar purchases, don't care for the fact that they've gotten lawsuit happy over the years, and I greatly prefer stainless steel frets over nickel. As a result, I'd been looking for something to scratch the same itch but be more in line with my personal "idealized" version of an explorer. Overall, I think this Balaguer Typhon came out looking, playing, and sounding great, but I'm definitely still in the honeymoon period.

At this point in time, I would 100% be down to order another Balaguer, as the build quality here is absolutely superb. I'll attach the pictures they sent me below, as well as some pictures that were featured on their Facebook page for "Typhon Tuesday". I'm definitely going to make a full-fledged review for this guitar at some point, but for now, I'm just going to enjoy the NGD (or week, or month).

Anybody else have a Balaguer guitar? What model and how did you feel about it?

image002.jpgimage003.jpgimage004.jpgimage005.jpgIMG_5638.JPGIMG_5639.JPG

First, major Congrats!! I know what it’s like to wait almost a year for a guitar. Second, that IMO is incredible looking. Yeah, cameras never seem to get the white balance correct, but I could see it’s more of a cream or ivory. Beautiful!! This usually doesn’t happen, but the quality seemed to jump off the screen. It sounds very solid and even and I agree the pups are quite nice. Immediately when you toggled the toggle I could hear how solid it was before you said anything. I have to admit I’m not familiar with this company, but about to go find out more. Definitely would like to see and hear more when you get some more time with it. Congrats again!!

…and P.S.
I just realized I live about an hour away from where the company is located.

Last edited:
@Joe Bfstplk @Diego @skolacki Thank you! I'm glad you guys dig it.

First, major Congrats!! I know what it’s like to wait almost a year for a guitar. Second, that IMO is incredible looking. Yeah, cameras never seem to get the white balance correct, but I could see it’s more of a cream or ivory. Beautiful!! This usually doesn’t happen, but the quality seemed to jump off the screen. It sounds very solid and even and I agree the pups are quite nice. Immediately when you toggled the toggle I could hear how solid it was before you said anything. I have to admit I’m not familiar with this company, but about to go find out more. Definitely would like to see and hear more when you get some more time with it. Congrats again!!

…and P.S.
I just realized I live about an hour away from where the company is located.
Thank you so much! That's awesome that you live so close to Balaguer. I think they have a showroom with some guitars and various amps to try, and I'd definitely be hanging out there frequently if I lived anywhere near it. An additional cool thing is Joe Balaguer and the rest of the team seem to be genuinely good people, which adds to the value for me personally. I shared this video on Facebook and both Joe and the tech who did final QC/the setup actually replied so that's really cool, especially since I'm just a guy who bought a guitar and not a famous artist or anything.

I definitely will pick up another Balaguer at some point. Possibly something less pointy, since this fills my pointy guitar void, and dang man, it's still great now a week or two later.

@Joe Bfstplk @Diego @skolacki Thank you! I'm glad you guys dig it.

Thank you so much! That's awesome that you live so close to Balaguer. I think they have a showroom with some guitars and various amps to try, and I'd definitely be hanging out there frequently if I lived anywhere near it. An additional cool thing is Joe Balaguer and the rest of the team seem to be genuinely good people, which adds to the value for me personally. I shared this video on Facebook and both Joe and the tech who did final QC/the setup actually replied so that's really cool, especially since I'm just a guy who bought a guitar and not a famous artist or anything.

I definitely will pick up another Balaguer at some point. Possibly something less pointy, since this fills my pointy guitar void, and dang man, it's still great now a week or two later.
I have been on their site building out a few different models. Unfortunately, I’m really not financially in the position to make a purchase right now. I do think I will contact and see about visiting the business. It’s always good to get to know a company. I’m relatively close to PRS also and have been to the factory many times which have resulted in owning 3 core models.😁 They still have a build time of around 5 months on the site. They do have a couple for sale on the site, but none of those quite excite me. I actually am quite taken by the Typhon model especially the solid color look.

I was curious what body and neck wood you went with?

I have been on their site building out a few different models. Unfortunately, I’m really not financially in the position to make a purchase right now. I do think I will contact and see about visiting the business. It’s always good to get to know a company. I’m relatively close to PRS also and have been to the factory many times which have resulted in owning 3 core models.😁 They still have a build time of around 5 months on the site. They do have a couple for sale on the site, but none of those quite excite me. I actually am quite taken by the Typhon model especially the solid color look.

I was curious what body and neck wood you went with?
I went with all Korina for the neck and body. I know some of the older explorers and V’s used that wood, and I was a little worried about the weight going full mahogany with such a big body.

The nice thing about Balaguer is they have sales/discounts on the semi customs as well, so if you ever are in the market, you can just wait for a discount like I did. I bought mine during a spring sale, and if I remember correctly it was like a flat 10-15% off the total price of the guitar, with additional discounts on specific options, so that’s a viable method for saving money.

I went with all Korina for the neck and body. I know some of the older explorers and V’s used that wood
Absolutely! That’s what I would go with for an Explorer type guitar. I had a friend who was so excited when either Gibson or Epiphone reissued them in Korina back in the 90’s sometime. He grabbed one the second they hit the store. It sounded and looked great.

I have two Balaguers (Thicket and Growler) with a third build on the way (Druid). I absolutely love them, and I'd recommend them to anyone. I have several high end ESPs and these definitely are on par with those guitars. BG will also work with you on pretty much any spec. I wanted Fishman Devin Townsend pickups in all my builds and they accommodated with no problem.
Photo Jun 17, 5 52 48 PM.jpgPhoto Oct 14, 9 58 43 PM.jpgPhoto Sep 06, 12 37 54 PM.jpg

@WillieD Those look awesome! I might actually end up ordering a Druid for Balaguer number 2 when the time comes. I was going to get a Gaia but they discontinued that one and since I still hadn’t received my Typhon, I was weary of placing yet another semi custom order. Ah well.

How’re the Fishman’s? I still haven’t ever tried the humbuckers, but I have the Tele set in my American Standard and love those.

@WillieD Those look awesome! I might actually end up ordering a Druid for Balaguer number 2 when the time comes. I was going to get a Gaia but they discontinued that one and since I still hadn’t received my Typhon, I was weary of placing yet another semi custom order. Ah well.

How’re the Fishman’s? I still haven’t ever tried the humbuckers, but I have the Tele set in my American Standard and love those.
What I like about Balaguer is that they are vintage inspired instruments but with modern appointments. The Druid is kind of like a Fender Mustang or EBMM Stingray. Re: the Fishman Devin Townsend pickups, I have them in every guitar I own. Pickups are certainly a highly debated topic, but for me they work perfectly. Thery are like EMGs without the ice picky high end. They can do metal, rock, jazz, ambient and everything in between. BTW great video! Now I'm looking at the Typhons. GAS never ends. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom