NGD: 2009 PRS SC245

It is a bit of mystery what the stock pickups were. The hang tag says 59/09 but the MODCAT data says the pickups were SC245 bass / treble which would be what you'd expect for a 2009 SC245. The pickups have obviously been changed at least once and are now the #7's. I'd have to contact PRS to get the definitive answer.

The finish is called vintage natural. It appears to be natural in the center with amber sprayed on the edges in the classic teardrop burst pattern. I don't think they did any contrast staining / sanding on the maple so you can't see the flame from some angles but it has a lot of chatoyance and you can see a good bit of grain running orthogonal to the flame. It looks better in person then I was expecting from the listing photos.

Thanks for sharing the photo of the routing. I was wondering what it looked like. I could absolutely believe that this guitar was weight relieved because it is so light even though it has a fat neck and thick body. It must have been a fairly light bit of mahogany to begin with to end up at 7 pounds. It is actually my lightest guitar.
chatoyance ... Word of the day!

It is a bit of mystery what the stock pickups were. The hang tag says 59/09 but the MODCAT data says the pickups were SC245 bass / treble which would be what you'd expect for a 2009 SC245. The pickups have obviously been changed at least once and are now the #7's. I'd have to contact PRS to get the definitive answer.

The finish is called vintage natural. It appears to be natural in the center with amber sprayed on the edges in the classic teardrop burst pattern. I don't think they did any contrast staining / sanding on the maple so you can't see the flame from some angles but it has a lot of chatoyance and you can see a good bit of grain running orthogonal to the flame. It looks better in person then I was expecting from the listing photos.

Thanks for sharing the photo of the routing. I was wondering what it looked like. I could absolutely believe that this guitar was weight relieved because it is so light even though it has a fat neck and thick body. It must have been a fairly light bit of mahogany to begin with to end up at 7 pounds. It is actually my lightest guitar.
orthogonal: Word of the day #2!

Chatoyance is a word I came across about a year ago in the context of discussing flamed maple over on TGP. It is the perfect word to describe that moving / 3-D beautiful thing that figured wood does as it moves in the light.

That's a lovely guitar!! I really dig how the wood grain goes in 2 directions!! And the knobs are beautiful, and look to be very ergonomic, with the small flat spots around the circumference.

A PRS SC Burgundy Tiger-Eye 10-Top was hands down THE finest guitar I'd ever played back in the early 2000's, when I was lent one from my bass player friend of the guy who headed up Artist Relations at PRS. I had recently discovered that PRS did indeed build what I thought would marry the sustain and easier-to-dial-in tone combinations of my LP Custom, and the playability of my PRS CU24, so I was really GASing for one. So one day he just shows up at rehearsal with a brand new one! I was in heaven. Got to enjoy it for a full month before he had to return it, but wow, what a guitar! I seriously considered buying one, but the street price at the time was around $3300, which I just couldn't do, comfortably.

I'm jealous.

@TSJMajesty The prices are a lot more reasonable on the second hand market.
Sure. But that was for a brand new one.
These days if there was a particular guitar I wanted to buy used, I'd have to take my time and try to find one from a private seller (to avoid the extra fees) within a comfortable travel distance, so I could try it out in person. There's just no way I can personally feel comfortable buying a used guitar sight-unseen. But that's just me.

The finish is called vintage natural.

Yep! That was the name I couldn't quiiiite remember. Curious that somebody put #7s in that guitar, because as I recall the SC245s were the Big Vintage Thing in PRS pickup-land for a short time until the 57/08s came out and made all that yesterday's news.

Oh, and MODCAT is the definitive source of info on how the guitar was built. The hang tag may be a red herring -- there have been mistakes on them before.

Back
Top Bottom