NGD — It's Friday. I'm in love.

Rex

Dignified but Approachable
Someone broke into my house recently. Among other things, they made off with every nice electric I own. I was left with a Peavey T-60 (with whom I have a maddening love/hate relationship) and a $30 Strat copy from a local second-hand store. While waiting for the insurance stuff to resolve, I wanted a good guitar—one I could respect and have fun with, without breaking the bank. I know they're out there—great guitars at bargain prices—if you're just willing to wade through the debris to find them. Well, we have a winner...

DBZImperialFM-IMG_2287.jpg

She's a DBZ Imperial FM in like-new condition. She has the look and vibe of a solid-body ES-335. She caught my eye with her flashy good looks; she drew me in with her playability and tone, in one of those moments when you're evaluating guitars and you realize you're not thinking about how it feels anymore.

Beautifully-dressed fretwork. Gorgeous flamed maple cap. Carved front and back. The sunburst is subtle and well executed. Even the mahogany back has a subtle figuring to it. Lovely neck joint.

Graphite nut. Duncan JB at the bridge, 59 at the neck. Grover machines. The cavity cover fits with an almost custom-made precision. But I'm rambling...just look at that face...

DBZImperialFM-IMG_2289.jpg

And the tone. Tons of tone. She has this sweet midrange thing going on that runs the gamut from warm to roaring. Low-gain tones sing. Mid-gain tones are authoritative, cutting out their own space. High-gain stuff is pure "Hey! Listen to me!" I even tried it through some metal sims, and it absolutely worked (though I'm not a metal player, so my opinion here is suspect :) ).

Cleans are warm and musical. Not the top-end sparkle that I sometimes go for, but a lovely blend of warmth and chime that fits a lot of things really well.

DBZImperialFM-IMG_2294.jpg

My niggles are few and minor: the pickup selector is cocked (stepped route in the cavity—easy fix with an extra hex nut); no shielding (another easy fix); solder work is amateur (but sturdy); the bookmatch is off by an eighth of an inch (from five feet way, you'd never know).

And she came with an equally like-new case (good thing, too, because you'd never find an aftermarket case that fits). She's a keeper.

DBZImperialFM-IMG_2297.jpg

jeez dude, that sucks! i had my house burgled before and it completely blows!
Yeah, it sucks big-time. Guitars with decades-old relationships behind them, torn away in minutes by some bum who has no idea what he's holding in his hand. Not to mention my wife's jewelry, a TV, and...you don't know what it's like until you've been through it. As you know first-hand.

Well, never mind. I'm playing something I really enjoy again, and that helps me move on.

When ours was broken into, the worst part - aside from the insecurities it created for my wife - was repairing the door jam where the dead bolt had ripped through. After that incident we bought an alarm system at Radio Shack, and then moved a while later. Someone was looking out for me that day though. They had carried a bunch of my studio stuff upstairs and set it on the kitchen table - and left it there! All they took was the VCR and some cash. I don't know if they got interrupted or what, but we were fortunate in that respect.

Sorry to hear about your guitars, Rex. I hope all your replacements go as well as this one!

Reactions: Rex
Cool guitar man! I have never seen these before they have a classic sound to them almost SG'ish. Sorry to hear about your theft it always sucks to have something jacked and can't really do anything about.

Reactions: Rex
When ours was broken into, the worst part - aside from the insecurities it created for my wife - was repairing the door jam where the dead bolt had ripped through.
Our door frame held tight—it's solid oak. It was our door that split lengthwise. Our next door gets a steel wrap-around.

I'm glad they didn't get your goodies. Not so glad they got your cash.

Cool guitar man! I have never seen these before they have a classic sound to them almost SG'ish. Sorry to hear about your theft it always sucks to have something jacked and can't
Yeah, I didn't know these existed either. They're such an unusual size and shape. Another of life's lessons that it pays to keep an open mind.

The best part: she cost me $350, case included.

Yeah, I didn't know these existed either. They're such an unusual size and shape. Another of life's lessons that it pays to keep an open mind.

The best part: she cost me $350, case included.

Wow... smok'n deal, I'm going to be on the look out for one of these.

Wow... smok'n deal, I'm going to be on the look out for one of these.
It's worth looking into for sure. It's a delight to play, and it sweetly handles cleans through high gain. Rock roar, jazz fullness, blues grit...the coil tap is icing on the cake.

I value versatility in my guitars, and this one handles a wide range of stuff as if it were purpose-built for it.

great find rex. Sorry for the misfortune and hope things turn out ok.
Thanks, randolfo. It was hard when my babies disappeared, but then I never would have found this otherwise. But I still wish I had 'em back.

Update:

It's Sunday, and I'm still in love. My Imperial still feels great to play and still sounds great. But I was wrong about the soldering...

The soldering wasn't "amateur but sturdy." It was horrendous and falling apart. There were great globs of solder attached to essentially nothing, and wires hanging on by a single strand. The ground on the output jack wasn't even soldered; it was just wrapped around the lug.

DBZImperial-Originalsoldering.jpg.html
DBZImperial-Originalsoldering.jpg

I cleaned up the work as well as I could without shrink-wrap or new components. And I'm still in love. ;)

DBZImperial-Solderingcleanedup.jpg

Postscript: the most stunning thing about the crappy wiring job was how starkly it contrasts with the excellent workmanship that's evident in the rest of the guitar.

Back
Top Bottom