Next Up In My Fantasy World - FC3?

Tones2

Experienced
This was discussed a while back, but now that the FM3 is (kinda) shipping, it might be time to discuss again the possibility of an FC3 (3 button) foot controller extension for the FM3 - the key would be to make it SMALL AND LIGHT, like 2 or 3 pounds with no main display, just the displays over the switches, and be designed to fit nicely underneath (same length) or on the side of (same length) the FM3, with the FC link and maybe an extra pedal input or two as inputs. That would be pretty sweet - just saying. :)

There are so many two button footswitches out there that are also without a display 🤷‍♂️🙂 as you can program external footswitches with any kind of switching option I do not see any market for a three switch version 🤷‍♂️ if you want them to be without displays why not go for an external Kemper footswitch? It has good quality and costs about 60 euros. The FC 6 can do a lot and is therefore way more expensive but worth it.

There are so many two button footswitches out there that are also without a display 🤷‍♂️🙂 as you can program external footswitches with any kind of switching option I do not see any market for a three switch version 🤷‍♂️ if you want them to be without displays why not go for an external Kemper footswitch? It has good quality and costs about 60 euros. The FC 6 can do a lot and is therefore way more expensive but worth it.

I disagree. :) The 3 button footswitch would have the over the button displays (just not the MAIN top display) which you couldn't get in an external footswitch. PLUS, you wouldn't have to waste any pedal jacks - you can use them instead for expression pedals or even more button extension especially if there are EXTRA 1 or 2 on the FC3 extension. Plus is would fit better visually and functionally with the FM3 since it's designed to sit flush underneath it or to the side.

I disagree. :) The 3 button footswitch would have the over the button displays (just not the MAIN top display) which you couldn't get in an external footswitch. PLUS, you wouldn't have to waste any pedal jacks - you can use them instead for expression pedals or even more button extension especially if there are EXTRA 1 or 2 on the FC3 extension. Plus is would fit better visually and functionally with the FM3 since it's designed to sit flush underneath it or to the side.
Ok, then it would make sense 🙂

This kind of thing had been done previously with the MFC-101

however....

the FC series internally isn’t a typical MIDI controller that anyone could add on to with some knowledge, parts and good soldering skills. There’s a lot of proprietary juice going on inside an FC foot pedal that only FAS can work with to make a product withstand wouldn’t suck. So, don’t count on a 3rd party to make this happen.
Also, it’s not the case that one can simply divide cost and price (two vastly different things) on a per-button basis. Therefore, a three button solution like the OP suggests might not be worth it to design, engineer, prototype, test, manufacture, ship and support (and oh by the way causing a ton of software rewrites and regression testing) through a product life cycle - especially when most buyers will look at the inevitable price of a three button controller and see an FC6 or 12 for only 50 bucks more.

I think it’s a great idea, but, I think with what all is going on in China right now, it would be darn difficult to get any reasonable production rolling, and even harder for smaller companies as all the giants are already seeing parts shortages, shipping backlogs etc, so even when stuff gets back to normal it’s going to be a mess for a while. Just look at how difficult it’s been with the FM3 to date, so I can’t see any new accessory options for some time, if at all.

luckily lots of fc6 on the market which works great, and probably used would be hardly that much more, with added screen, more input jacks etc

There may be a market for an FC-6, but looking at the current price points of the FC foot controllers, I’m not so sure it’d be a good move.

The FC-6 is currently $499 and the FC-12 is only $200 extra at $699. At this scale, that would put an FC-3 around $299? Taking account the footprint of three switches abreast, I have a feeling most people would just throw in the extra $200 for the FC-6.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see it happening.

I think people are missing the point here. It's important to have it SMALL. The FC6 is WAY too bulky and heavy to be a companion to the FM3. Combined, they are way bigger and heavier than the AX8. A 3 button FC3 would put in more in line with the AX8 dimensions and be more portable, which is the whole concept of why the FM3 is small in the first place. PORTABILITY. To me, an FC3 would be the PERFECT companion to the FM3.

Funny thing is, the people who are dissing it now would probably be the first in line to buy i if it actually was available. :p

This is something I posted about when the FM3 was first announced. If FAS were to offer a 3-button FS with the buttons arranged vertically that could be placed next to the FM3 and would plug into the Faslink for expanded functionality such as the LED rings and the scribble strips. Or it could be a 3-button device with the buttons arranged horizontally that is made to put in front of the FM3 so it would not increase the lateral footprint. This would leave the External Jacks open for more switching capabilities too. Personally I like the vertical idea best.

This is something I posted about when the FM3 was first announced. If FAS were to offer a 3-button FS with the buttons arranged vertically that could be placed next to the FM3 and would plug into the Faslink for expanded functionality such as the LED rings and the scribble strips. Or it could be a 3-button device with the buttons arranged horizontally that is made to put in front of the FM3 so it would not increase the lateral footprint. This would leave the External Jacks open for more switching capabilities too. Personally I like the vertical idea best.

I like the vertical idea better as well. :)

probably be far cheaper to produce and more popular overall to just make a FM6 at some point for people who want more switches. Plus, you can then sell a whole new unit to people who already bought a 3

Exactly! Might not need the Faslink pass-through jack though (to save money). It would just require this one to be the end of the line. Just make it the same height as the FM3 so that it would match up. Or possibly put the two switches on the upper portion (since it is longer) and just one on the bottom/angled portion. Would need to find a spot for the logo though ;o)

Yeah, it'd be difficult to keep the symmetry of the three switches due to the way the FC-6 and FC-12 is laid out. I just split the difference for the center switch, but you get the point. I also added a jack for an expression pedal, although eliminating it could also be a cost saver as well.

probably be far cheaper to produce and more popular overall to just make a FM6 at some point for people who want more switches. Plus, you can then sell a whole new unit to people who already bought a 3

But then you don;t have the flexibility to go really small with just the FM3 in certain situations. The FM6 would probably be the size and weight of the AX8.

You could probably ditch the power input and pedal jack, in addition to the Faslink II pass-through. Those could be an up-sell to the FC-6.

Looks cool, but under the covers I don't think it's possible to fit the switches and mini LCDs that close together.

And for me those switches are way too close together. :(

Yeah, keeping with the layout of the FC-6 and FC-12, it just doesn’t work. Personally, I don’t feel the FC-6 is bulky at all. I actually welcome the size due to my large feet. I can’t stand accidentally stepping on adjacent switches due to narrow spacing.

Back
Top Bottom