Next Up In My Fantasy World - FC3?

Yeah, keeping with the layout of the FC-6 and FC-12, it just doesn’t work. Personally, I don’t feel the FC-6 is bulky at all. I actually welcome the size due to my large feet. I can’t stand accidentally stepping on adjacent switches due to narrow spacing.
Same... I'm very happy with the switch spacing compared to ALL the previous controllers I've owned.

The FC3 would be a whole different animal to the FC6. The FC3 would be for people who want to keep it small and light, but with some additional switch function flexibility. The FC6 is for people who want more switch controls and don;t care about size and bulk. To me, these are mutually exclusive goals. The FM3 was made small for a reason. If your burden it with a FC6 that makes the unit much bigger and heavier than the AX8 as the only expansion option, you've lost the light side of the market.

Same... I'm very happy with the switch spacing compared to ALL the previous controllers I've owned.

In the vertical structure, there is plenty of spacing between the switches, more so than the vertical spacing on the AX8. It won;t align with the buttons on the FC6 but how could it, the FC6 has a MAIN SCREEN. The FC3 is something different than that. If that's a concern then make one that goes width wise horizontally on the bottom of the FM3, with inputs on the side. Again - a different thing. Just make something that's light, small, and works with the FM3. It doesn't have to align with the other units because o one is going to buy and FC3 AND and FC6. They would just buy the FC12. Maybe call it the FS3 to make it distinct from the other 2.

In the vertical structure, there is plenty of spacing between the switches, more so than the vertical spacing on the AX8. It won;t align with the buttons on the FC6 but how could it, the FC6 has a MAIN SCREEN. The FC3 is something different than that. If that's a concern then make one that goes width wise horizontally on the bottom of the FM3, with inputs on the side. Again - a different thing. Just make something that's light, small, and works with the FM3. It doesn't have to align with the other units because o one is going to buy and FC3 AND and FC6. They would just buy the FC12. Maybe call it the FS3 to make it distinct from the other 2.
Yes, I do think it could be done without the main screen... I was commenting specifically on the mock FC3 images.

By the way @lyricbread, can you edit your post to include a disclaimer that the image is not real? People see this stuff and think it's an actual product.

But then you don;t have the flexibility to go really small with just the FM3 in certain situations. The FM6 would probably be the size and weight of the AX8.

sure you would, you then own a fm3 and a fm6 or fm9 or whatever it would be called lol

fm3for ultra compact, fmx for other gigs, axeIII for studio/home

after all FAS produces equipment to benefit their bottom line, not just what would give the best economy to the end user. The end user gets products, make no mistake, but I think FAS looks at what would sell best, what yields the best revenue etc, not just what could benefit a guitarist, or give someone the most bang for the smallest buck.
They make cool stuff, but they also run the company as a business, and make money.

Yeah, keeping with the layout of the FC-6 and FC-12, it just doesn’t work. Personally, I don’t feel the FC-6 is bulky at all. I actually welcome the size due to my large feet. I can’t stand accidentally stepping on adjacent switches due to narrow spacing.

Amen to this! This is why I usually despise pedalboards (but love the FC-6) – I always end up stomping on everything but the footswitch (knobs, cables, screens) on pretty much every standard pedalboard, no matter how far apart the pedals are spaced, and it drives me absolutely nuts.

I do wish the FC-6 were lighter though – maybe an FC-4 would be a good compromise? Same configuration, just with 2 less buttons.

Or maybe a titanium body to save on weight? (Well, I can dream – maybe it has weird electrical properties that rule it out, I have no idea. Aluminum I'm guessing is too weak in comparison to the steel they use now.)

Amen to this! This is why I usually despise pedalboards (but love the FC-6) – I always end up stomping on everything but the footswitch (knobs, cables, screens) on pretty much every standard pedalboard, no matter how far apart the pedals are spaced, and it drives me absolutely nuts.

Coming from the MFC boards, the FC’s are a huge improvement IMO. Wide spacing, bright, customizable LED’s, and scribble strips. Fractal obviously did their homework.

Aluminum I'm guessing is too weak in comparison to the steel they use now.)

A machined aluminum chassis would be definitely be strong enough.

Although I doubt it would ever happen, an FC4-EV which is a 4 button unit with an EV-2 expression pedal built in.
Just thinking.

I don't think an FC3 is really needed. There are lots of third party units with a few switches that would work and of course the FC6 is an option. I doubt FAS would have any interest in making an FC3 anyways....

The advantage to doing it the way that is stated by the OP is that it would plug into the Faslink jack, leaving the External jacks free for expression pedals and/or additional external jacks. I am currently using a Boss FS7 with my Axe III and FC6 setup and it works great, but with the FM3 you are limited to the two External jacks which will only allow either 2 exp pedals, or 1 exp pedal and 2 switches, or 4 switches. I would personally like 1 exp pedal and 3 additional switches added to the FM3 but I can't do that with the current limitations of the unit.

A HORIZONTAL FC3 without a main screen would solve the issue of footswitch spacing that people seem to be having here. I never said it had to be vertical.

A HORIZONTAL FC3 without a main screen would solve the issue of footswitch spacing that people seem to be having here. I never said it had to be vertical.
The challenges I see with a horizontal arrangement are tied to placement.

You're pretty much going to need to put it in front of the FM3 because all the jacks in the back (especially the FASLink!) need to be accessible.

So, where, then do you place the FASLink jack of the FC3? On one end, most likely... And that seems less than ideal.

Anyway, just arm-chair designing, here ;)

The challenges I see with a horizontal arrangement are tied to placement.

You're pretty much going to need to put it in front of the FM3 because all the jacks in the back (especially the FASLink!) need to be accessible.

So, where, then do you place the FASLink jack of the FC3? On one end, most likely... And that seems less than ideal.

Anyway, just arm-chair designing, here ;)

Yes I was perceiving the jacks on the side(s). It'd also be cool if there were (removable) clamps on either end to hold it snugly against the FM3. :mask: 🤘

If I get some free time, I’ll do a mock-up of a horizontal design.

Back
Top Bottom