Newbie Setup and Monitor questions

Jzbass25

Hello, I just got my axe fx 3 and I'm loving it! And I hope this is the correct area to ask this question. But I have a question on how I should setup my audio equipment for my very casual playing situation.

I'm a casual bedroom player (not doing professional work anymore) and I like to play guitar in front of my computer and listen to music at the same time just to relax (helps my stress/chronic migraines). However using the axe fx 3 as an audio interface means I need to leave it on all the time or switch back to my old steinberg ur22 mkii for when I'm not playing guitar.

So I wanted to ask if it is a dumb idea to use the ur22 as a mixer. Basically hook my headphones and speakers to the ur22 and run an xlr output from the axe fx to the ur22. Then I can mix the pc audio and axe fx audio using the front mix knob?

Lastly, do you guys think Presonus Eris E5 would be a good budget monitor for jamming? I like that they don't take up too much space and I'm not doing mixes or much recording. I'm mostly unsure if it's a silly idea to plug an expensive guitar processor into some budget monitors. Or should I ask the age-old question, should I get a CLR/FRFR and some set of speakers for my pc?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello, I just got my axe fx 3 and I'm loving it! And I hope this is the correct area to ask this question. But I have a question on how I should setup my audio equipment for my very casual playing situation.

I'm a casual bedroom player (not doing professional work anymore) and I like to play guitar in front of my computer and listen to music at the same time just to relax (helps my stress/chronic migraines). However using the axe fx 3 as an audio interface means I need to leave it on all the time or switch back to my old steinberg ur22 mkii for when I'm not playing guitar.

So I wanted to ask if it is a dumb idea to use the ur22 as a mixer. Basically hook my headphones and speakers to the ur22 and run an xlr output from the axe fx to the ur22. Then I can mix the pc audio and axe fx audio using the front mix knob?

Lastly, do you guys think Presonus Eris E5 would be a good budget monitor for jamming? I like that they don't take up too much space and I'm not doing mixes or much recording. I'm mostly unsure if it's a silly idea to plug an expensive guitar processor into some budget monitors. Or should I ask the age-old question, should I get a CLR/FRFR and some set of speakers for my pc?

Thanks!
not dumb. the axe sends out analog audio so yes, plug it into your interface no prob. Eris is probably fine too, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars.

CLR’s sound great if you’ve got the budget. I use mine at home, don’t turn it up load, and have nice monitors too, but the CLR just sounds really big and full, has great dispersion in the room, and I like hearing my guitar out of it more than my desktop monitors, which as Presonus Scepter’s with a T10 sub so pretty good system.

I could live without it, it’s a luxury, but it does sound good, so if it’s an option I don’t think you’d regret getting one

CLR’s sound great if you’ve got the budget. I use mine at home, don’t turn it up load, and have nice monitors too, but the CLR just sounds really big and full, has great dispersion in the room, and I like hearing my guitar out of it more than my desktop monitors, which as Presonus Scepter’s with a T10 sub so pretty good system.

I could live without it, it’s a luxury, but it does sound good, so if it’s an option I don’t think you’d regret getting one

I might end up going CLRs down the road, any recommendations? I know people like the atomic neo but they are pricey but if it's worth it I can save up a bit.

I will say, one pitfall with my idea is that I can't do a stereo mix using my interface. So right now I'm hooking my monitors to my axe fx directly and switching my sound device on my PC when I want to jam. Downside is if I want to use the speakers for just my PC then I need to switch cables or leave my axe fx on.

Back
Top Bottom