New user presentation and question

Stringmanipulator

Power User
Presentation

Hello everybody, my name is Kenneth and I'm new to this forum. I've been lurking around for a while
convincing myself to buy an axe fx2 which I will do within a couple of weeks or so.

I'm a hobby guitarplayer and of course a gearhead, that has been playing more or less for 30 years, but really never payed
much attention to it until a couple of years ago. So I've gotten more into playing and practising
a little more serious so to speak.

Doing some composing in periods but only for "home use" and I do not play in a band but have all the tools
to create music by myself for fun.

I've gotten the axe fx2 bugg in me big time, so I will order it and pack up my pedalboards and that stuff
for a rainy day, or maybe a year or couple of years down the road I will eventually sell them.

My plan is to use axefx2 and my Behringer FCB1010 (uno chip) to change patches, and use as a volume pedal.
I do live in a flat so keeping down the volume is a must. Most of the time I just play to songs at low volume
from mp3 tracks or some progression from youtube etc. So I need it to sound good at low volume which I am
confident axe fx2 will do, and much more.

My problem is the following:

In my living room, I've got a 5.1 sound system for my DVD, 2 Large 200W Jamo hifi speakers hooked up to my cd player
and tuner. I've got 2 Old Yamaha studio / keyboard speakers (not shielded) hooked to my rack with synths and guitar effects. On my computer
I've got a normal 2.1 sub system with an additional pair of 80w Hifi speakers from Technics.

It's ridicilous really summing it all up, hahaha but it has accumulated over the years.

So I am trying to get rid of some speakers and stuff obvioulsy, being that much of my speakers are old and not the best quality anyway.
Buying such an awesome effect as axe fx 2 I want to have a resonably good speaker set hooked up to it. Having to throw in my wallet an arm and a leg to afford the axe fx2 I cannot afford to go for the more high end speakers. I was thinking about krk5 or krk8 or something like that, but I typically don't mix stuff and doing advanced sound editing stuff. But simply playing mp3 and on top of that destroying it with meaningless noodeling using my guitar.

:)

Seems like everybody recomend people to go for studio speakers, but is that good for listening to music as well
I mean from records and concert movies etc.?

I got myself a fasttrack pro from M-Audio as a soundcard a year ago, and that thing has only created trouble, and the company
doesn't support their products. Old inadequate drivers, unsolved problems that can be traced back 3-4 years.
I will never buy or recomend anything that has the name M-Audio on it. When the card worked it sounded good, but having the
drivers crash and fail on a weekly basis is unacceptable and no respose on support request, that being said I'm a network
technician and have over 20 years computer experience so I am no stranger to drivers, computers, and fail searching.

So I will by another one, probably an Alesis IO4 to use as a midi interface and a soundcard on my workstation.

To shorten it down:

need it to sound good at very low volumes,

need a new soundcard for midi stuff,

can I use a hifi stereo reciever as output?

hifi speakers?

if studio monitors, will the sound good overall?

listening to music 90% of the time, often headphones when playing guitar

:)

Sorry about the long posting, but I wanted to explain who I am and what my current setup is
like. And I figured maybe get to know some of you ladies and gentlemens that are using
and supporting this incredible product. I can hardly wait til I get my hands on mine.

Well thank you reading this, and I am grateful for any kind of tip
on what to buy or avoid etc ..
you all have a good one

//Kenneth

Welcome to the forum.

Short iPad answer.

Yes music from mp3s and DVDs sounds good through studio monitors. Also there is no reason why you can't put the Axe FXII through a hi fi amp and speakers.

The Axe fx also can act as a sound card when connected to a computer via USB.

Those Rockits will do well for you at a low price.

Music will sound great on them. And if you're used to hi-fi speakers which have an accented low and high end, you can always adjust the EQ on your music software (Media Player, Winamp, etc...) The more important thing is that WITHOUT EQ, the speakers are not exaggerating or over-expressing any particular frequencies so that what you're tweaking in the Axe Fx is what you're really hearing. In this regard, even the best speakers in the world can give some pretty inaccurate and not-so-flat results in an untreated room. So don't get too obsessed with "flat", as there's much work to be done beyond monitor choice to achieve a truly "flat" sound.

ALESIS built the interface I just got rid of. If you don't like an interface that stops working after a year, you might want to avoid Alesis too. I had a terrible experience, and their support is a pretty direct comparison to M-Audio (who are actually owned by Avid Audio now, the same people who own Digidesign, Pro Tools, Sibelius, etc...)

The Axe FX is already a usb interface. You might not need another.

Hi! I live in Stockholm and have had the Axe ii since 2 months. It's amazing contact me and maybe we can meet and you try it!
Take care
Regards Jesper

Welcome, Stringmanipulator!

I agree that even inexpensive studio monitors like the Rokit 5's will be better for monitoring the Axe, and for recording, too. HI-fi speakers are intended to sound good, not for accuracy (When someone says a hi-fi speaker sounds "clinical," they're really saying it's "too accurate").

I definitely don't recommend hi-fi speakers for playing your Axe-FX through, unless you always keep your volume very low. They're not sturdy enough. The electric guitar produces a more consistently high-level signal than most recorded music, and it's natural to turn up the volume significantly louder than your normal listening level without realizing it. Studio monitors and guitar speakers are made to handle those higher levels without physical damage. Hi-fi speakers aren't. If you never ever turn up your Axe, it's no big deal. But it only takes one torn spider to make you wish you'd used the right speakers. :)

Thank you everybody for your response, I'm very grateful you sorted it out for me regarding studio monitors.
I will probably go for KRK5 to begin with and see where they take me.

Regarding the soundcard, I was wondering however the axefx2 could be used as a midi interface for let's say a synthesizer,
I just assumed that it is a very nice sound interface for "talking" to computers, changing patches etc via midi.
But not suitable as an "sound / midi interface using midi keayboards" in for example Cubase.

Arrowhead: Thanks for the warning about Alesis, the last thing I want is another "buggy interface" !

The other one I have been looking at is the Focusrite Scarlett or Focusrite Saffire, does anybody know
anything about them ?

Thanks again for your answers and help,
you all have a good one

//Kenneth

I'm currently using a focusrite saffire pro, I'm very happy with it.

Thank you arrowhead, when I first bought my M-audio fast track pro I was back and forth with M-audio / Alesis / Focusrite
I regret going for M-audio .. but lesson learned .. next time I will buy a Focusrite :)

have a good one

//Kenneth

To be fair, I loved the Alesis unit right up until the firewire in the unit died suddenly. Reading up on it, it was a common issue with those units and was almost half the price of the unit to repair.

The Saffire is problem free, and the mixer software is far more robust than the Alesis was.

Got my axe fx II Mark II yesterday
:) hopefully I have time tomorrow to test it with my new krk speakers

you all have a good one

//Kenneth

Back
Top Bottom