New user - looking for an AC30 TB sound

If you're happy with the tones you get from the Kemper and pedals, and you already have those, why not use them, at least for this gig? You can still use Fractal stuff for other things if you want. Just because you have a hammer handy, that doesn't mean the world consists only of nails.

Just to be clear, I'm sure you'll be able to make cool Edge tones with the Axe too, but why fight with it if you have a rig that works for you?

If you're happy with the tones you get from the Kemper and pedals, and you already have those, why not use them, at least for this gig? You can still use Fractal stuff for other things if you want. Just because you have a hammer handy, that doesn't mean the world consists only of nails.

Just to be clear, I'm sure you'll be able to make cool Edge tones with the Axe too, but why fight with it if you have a rig that works for you?
Well first of all, we always need new toys, right? Second, as I said, I want to minimize my rig into only one small unit, I hope the fm9 will be it. Then I need a reliable rig backup, in case something occurs on stage and you have to quickly change your setup. Everybody here has a backup, I hope! And not to forget: the fx in the fm9 alone are worth the whole effort. See, the guitarist's world has many nails :-(. If the process itself wasn't fun and if it wasn't much more convenient to plug in only one unit into the PA before a show then, yes, you could stick with your bread and butter amps and pedals. If it turns out that the fm9 will not sound as good, then I will continue using my old setup but even then I will need a reliable backup.

Last edited:
I loaded in your preset. I didn't think it sounded bad by any means but I think IR selection is the biggest piece of the sound. I uploaded my AC30 preset if you want to try it. It's not designed to mimic any U2 sounds but I play a lot of modern worship so maybe it will help you as a starting point.

Attachments

• AC30 TB.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 36
What songs do you play with your tribute band? Any difficulties with specific presets? I for example haven't really seen a satisfying preset so far for Mysterious Ways (although the are quite close meanwhile) or for the intro of Elevation.

I shared these for mysterious ways that I gig with regularly earlier. You may have already come across this, but if not...
I created the patch comparing it block by block against a Korg A3 (which I am now selling)

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/u2-mysterious-ways-patches.184505/

Here is a clip of the patch I gig with (recorded with humbuckers)

As far as the intro to Elevation, here is the patch I use for Elevation. I feel the intro is very close, but admittedly I feel the verse still needs some work.
Here is a clip of the intro (I use an expression pedal in the Pedal 1 jack)

Attachments

• Elevation.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I loaded in your preset. I didn't think it sounded bad by any means but I think IR selection is the biggest piece of the sound. I uploaded my AC30 preset if you want to try it. It's not designed to mimic any U2 sounds but I play a lot of modern worship so maybe it will help you as a starting point.

That is a great sounding preset!

Great sounding, I just tried it. It is a good starting point for a lot of stuff - from pop to rock...!

The right IR makes a big difference. York Audio has an IR pack of an AC30 with blues that sounds great with no low or high cuts needed. He also has a mix based on Edge’s micing setup.

https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/vx30-212-blue
I cannot thank you enough for this recommendation. I have just purchased them and are trying them out right now. There is immediately that chime I was looking for by just loading these without even touching any parameter. Already the first IR in the list that is suspiciously called "Edgy" is dang good! But there are hundreds of others that are waiting to be tried out. You guys were all so right, a good IR makes the world of a difference, it blows my mind. I will keep you informed...! Thanks.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. Usually I create patches from scratch using my headphones and my Yamaha HS5 studio monitors. Then I listen to the results through the mixing console / PA in the rehearsal room with the whole band and go back home to adjust again if needed. I always try to set things mid range focused. Kemper profiles already come with a mid push, most of the time. So far I used Michael Britt profiles of his 65 Vox AC30, in case anybody is familiar with those, but I also put an EQ after the stack to lower the heavy base of those profiles and pronounce the mids / upper mids and the brilliance.

In this case with my fm9 I am looking for a basic Edge sound for one of my bands (U2 tribute). I haven´t found Michael Britt´s AC30 on Youtube to show you but here is another example on how the core sound of the amp could or should sound, IMHO - though I find the sound with the Strat in the video slightly too bright, for my taste. But that should be a minor tweak, really:

I attached my first fm9 AC30 / U2 patch here. One may think it is too dripping wet but IMO if done correctly (also still looking for this point) that is one of the keys for the Edge´s sound. The best sounding Cab channel to my ears is Channel B. Guitars I used while creating this were a LP Standard with 57 PUs and a Strat with HW60/63. I hope all this makes sense.

Any tips, suggestions and help is much appreciated, thanks a lot.

There is a pretty good "Edge" IR in the York Audio AC30 IR pack. That might help.

I cannot thank you enough for this recommendation. I have just purchased them and are trying them out right now. There is immediately that chime I was looking for by just loading these without even touching any parameter. Already the first IR in the list that is suspiciously called "Edgy" is dang good! But there are hundreds of others that are waiting to be tried out. You guys were all so right, a good IR makes the world of a difference, it blows my mind. I will keep you informed...! Thanks.
Great! I love his IR packs, and they’re the only ones I currently use. They’re the best I’ve tried and they just work so well without any tweaking.

Thank you for this link - not only these guys offer a ton of free presets for all three Fractal models, but I've also got a few of non-free patches simply because it seems they really put their heart and mind into those. Can't wait to check their FAS Class-A preset...

UPD: OMG! It was totally worth it. Their FAS Class-A preset is awesome! Amazing sounds just as is! So happy I have ~20 of their presets now!

Last edited:
Thank you for this link - not only these guys offer a ton of free presets for all three Fractal models, but I've also got a few of non-free patches simply because it seems they really put their heart and mind into those. Can't wait to check their FAS Class-A preset...

UPD: OMG! It was totally worth it. Their FAS Class-A preset is awesome! Amazing sounds just as is! So happy I have ~20 of their presets now!
I bought a couple from them before Christmas. They are great for sure. The Black Cat model is very nice.

Look at the factory preset "Brian Might", which is based on the "Class-A 30W" amp, AKA "AC-30". The preset is used for Brian May sounds; Either bypass the Wah and the Pitch blocks or replace them with shunts if you don't use them, but doing so will let you hear the amp without the "Deacy" tone. Scenes 1, 2, 5, and 6 are big-sounding AC-30s.

Also, search the Factory presets page in the Wiki for "Class-A 30W".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom