U2 Mysterious ways patches

sarge

Power User
Mistakenly put this in the FM3 thread.

Sorry for the double post mods. If one must be deleted, please delete the one in the FM3 section as these were created for the FM9 (though likely will work for FM3 as well)

Mysterious ways patches

Used a Korg A3 to create these two.

One tone matched against a Korg A3 itself
The other I try to PEQ it. It ends up brighter but is actually what I use live at gigs.

The Korg A3 stays home.

Real Korg A3

FM9 Tone matched to Korg A3 (First cab block is the copied tone match from the Axe III

FM9 using PEQ to hit the right tone. Brighter, but what I use at gigs

Mystery 76 Axe Change

Attachments

• Mystery 76 TM.fasBundle
    20.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Mystery 76.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 157
Mistakenly put this in the FM3 thread.

Sorry for the double post mods. If one must be deleted, please delete the one in the FM3 section as these were created for the FM9 (though likely will work for FM3 as well)

Mysterious ways patches

Used a Korg A3 to create these two.

One tone matched against a Korg A3 itself
The other I try to PEQ it. It ends up brighter but is actually what I use live at gigs.

The Korg A3 stays home.

Real Korg A3

FM9 Tone matched to Korg A3 (First cab block is the copied tone match from the Axe III

FM9 using PEQ to hit the right tone. Brighter, but what I use at gigs

Mystery 76 Axe Change

I downloaded the fas bundle and it just comes up as a pageMystery 76.png

I actually think I’d prefer the PEQ approach in a mix. Either way, sounds great!

That’s really the closest recreation of the A3 effect I’ve ever heard. I own an A3 and the main difference with some presets I’v tested on other gears (Axe-Fx 2, 3..) was the feeling when playing (A3 is really « interactive »).

How do you compare it between your FM9 and the A3 ?

That’s really the closest recreation of the A3 effect I’ve ever heard. I own an A3 and the main difference with some presets I’v tested on other gears (Axe-Fx 2, 3..) was the feeling when playing (A3 is really « interactive »).

How do you compare it between your FM9 and the A3 ?

It is REALLY close. Especially tone matched. Listening to the recording when it is tone matched, I can't tell which is which and I made the recording.

If I'm judging feel, to me that is the way the auto wah engages based on the picking dynamics, and I think that is identical. I think as long as you have the envelope set properly for your guitar output (that is critical for this patch), it engages exactly as the korg does. I actually think the fractal disengage is more forgiving then the Korg A3. I Feel like I have to back off more with the Korg to get the wah to unwind.

The two differences when I'm playing the A3, when the auto wah engages and goes fully engaged, there is an ever so slight thump to the low end that seems dynamic. Like the low end actually increases slightly vs what the low end starts with. When I have the volumes matched and am comparing the two switching back and forth between the A3 and the Fractal with an ABY switch, if I listen hard for it I can pick it out. But it is so subtle. The other difference is there is a slightly more digital/lofi quality to the Korg that gives it an ever so slight ... robotic tone. Think Cylons or Optimus Prime. Really slight but it is there

This patch was actually made on the Axe FX. I should probably post it there.

When I made the patch I literally set the chain up exactly as it is on the Korg A3 preset 76

Distortion->Wah->(skipped the exciter as I don't use it on the A3)->Delay->Flanger->Reverb

Then block by block I tried to match exactly what that block did by bypassing all the other blocks on the korg and the Fractal and just trying to replicate it. I know I had read that the SDD Preamp is supposedly the drive off the Korg A3, but I sure couldn't get them to sound similar, which leads me to believe it is not a copy of that drive. At least not the drive in Preset 76.

The trick to the wah that had eluded me forever was that the mix just isn't 100%. That become obvious the first time I tried the Korg. There is no mix on the WAH2 parameter on the A3, but regardless, the mix is not 100%. The fractal doesn't have a mix level on the wah either but that is easy to get around with a mixer block. An auto wah with a 100% mix will always muffle beyond what you get on the Korg A3.

The Flanger took me a while to nail down as well, getting the right mix but more importantly getting the right min/max. For the longest time I could not get it to sweep exactly the same.I kept adjusting the rate, depth feedback and manual, but it wasn't till I nailed down the min/max that I felt I nailed the sweep.

It's not 100%, but its 95-97% IMO. Close enough that the A3 never leaves the house, and I actually slightly prefer the fractal patch over the A3. Thinking of selling it (the korg A3)

Really awesome. The flanger is impressive as this is probably the most noticeable point were others presets were lacking of fidelity. You really nailed it ! I can’t wait to receive my FM9 (august here in Europe).

BTW what guitar did you used ? A 12 strings one ?

Last edited:
Really awesome. The flanger is impressive as this is probably the most noticeable point were others presets were lacking of fidelity. You really nailed it ! I can’t wait to receive my FM9 (august here in Europe).

BTW what guitar did you used ? A 12 strings one ?
No,

While I am crazy enough to spend 300$ on a piece of equipment (the korg A3) for one song, not willing to drop 2K for a used Rickenbacker 12 string. I recorded that with a McCarty 594

That sounds really good. Trying to import it into my FM3 to see if I can get it to work there, but of course the grid isn't the same size so it's wonky. Can someone post an editor pic so I can see what goes where? Thanks!

EDIT: never mind, I got it. Good stuff!

Last edited:
That sounds really good. Trying to import it into my FM3 to see if I can get it to work there, but of course the grid isn't the same size so it's wonky. Can someone post an editor pic so I can see what goes where? Thanks!

EDIT: never mind, I got it. Good stuff!

Sounds like you got it but if you need me to I can reconfigure the grid for an FM3

Back
Top Bottom