New user comments

Dutch said:
Dead nuts means you will not have any more children.

KIDDING!!!!

Scott is using a pleonasm to stress his point. Dead nuts means the same as 100%: completely.

"Pleonasm".
I didn't realize that the guitarists on this forum would be so erudite.

I know so much stuff that is of absolutely no use to me whatsoever...

This might even be called a tautology because the repeating of the meaning is essentially redundant. But I think we'll allow it. Barely.

Actually, it annoys me much more when people type definately wierd.

Back on topic.
Do you have any sound system anywhere within reach that you like the sound of recorded electric guitars through? Like an Andy Timmons CD (or something you do like in case A. T. doesn't tickle your fancy)? If so, could you plug the Axe into that system and see if you can get the stock cabs and mic sims so that you like the "recorded"-tone as much. Then you can expand on that by using the far miced cabs and see if those can be adjusted to an in-the-room type of sound.

That sound system should be pretty loud. That's a lot of what it takes to get an in-the-room-tone. But that's just IMHO. No way to get near at bedroom levels I'm afraid. Still, it doesn't have to get as loud as an actual tube amp to get a tube amp sound, but really low volume never gets me there. Yet again, IMHO.

So I've had the AFX at home for a few days now.
I took the rented Traynor K1s back to the store.
FRFR will have to wait for a while.
And I've been running the AFX into the power amps of both my Pearce G2r (solid state w/Mosfet power amp) and Mesa Simul-Satellite (all-tube), both of which have open back cabs with EVM-12Ls in them.

And boy does it sound good through the Satellite!
It sounds OK through the Pearce but not great. I was hoping the Pearce would work best because it's got a stereo power amp.
But the Mesa sounds really really good to me right now, at home at least.
I'll have to see how it feels on a real gig, but I have nothing booked right now where I'll need this rig. Just a straight ahead jazz gig and I just use the Pearce for those.

Except for this weird business with the tuner calibration I'm very very impressed with this gizmo.
And it keeps getting better with each new firmware release, of which there have been 2 in the month since I bought this thing. The Tube Driver sounds really good now. The CAE lead amp sounds a bit better too. I still prefer the 2 USA Lead amps though.

The single 12" EVM 12L IRs in the cabinet IR package that Cliff posted sound better than the EVM 12L included with my Ultra. Time will tell if they work for me. But for now I'm using the 2 X 12 Blackface cab sim almost exclusively, when I'm experimenting with FRFR.

Glad to be aboard.

Hey Joe, ( dang it, that's a great Hendrix song! ) When I first got the Axe I got a Carvin DCM150 ( 150 watt SS stereo) and tried it with the Axe paired with guitar cabs I already owned: Dr. Z 1 X 12 open back G12H-30 and Mojave semi-open back 2 X 12 Celestion Blues. Sounded ok but not killer. I borrowed a friends Fuchs 2 X 12 w/ EV12L's. Wow. BIG difference! I then had a chance to pick up a used VHT 2/90/2. I put new tubes (KT-88's) in it and had VHT bias and bench test it. I took the Blues out of my Mojave cab and installed two new EV12L's and wired them in stereo. Holy smoke, now we're talkin! The combination of the big power tubes and the EV's really brought the rig to life. Really stoked. So far though, I've only been playing at my house. Also, just getting the knack of creating and tweaking patches. Also got my midi foot controller configured. I think you'll notice how much more life like the big tubes make the Axe sound. At least for traditional guitar cab sounds. I'm sure down the road I'll be tweaking to get a good FOH feed as well. Good luck in your search!

TonyGring said:
Hey Joe, ( dang it, that's a great Hendrix song! ) When I first got the Axe I got a Carvin DCM150 ( 150 watt SS stereo) and tried it with the Axe paired with guitar cabs I already owned: Dr. Z 1 X 12 open back G12H-30 and Mojave semi-open back 2 X 12 Celestion Blues. Sounded ok but not killer. I borrowed a friends Fuchs 2 X 12 w/ EV12L's. Wow. BIG difference! I then had a chance to pick up a used VHT 2/90/2. I put new tubes (KT-88's) in it and had VHT bias and bench test it. I took the Blues out of my Mojave cab and installed two new EV12L's and wired them in stereo. Holy smoke, now we're talkin! The combination of the big power tubes and the EV's really brought the rig to life. Really stoked. So far though, I've only been playing at my house. Also, just getting the knack of creating and tweaking patches. Also got my midi foot controller configured. I think you'll notice how much more life like the big tubes make the Axe sound. At least for traditional guitar cab sounds. I'm sure down the road I'll be tweaking to get a good FOH feed as well. Good luck in your search!

Well I just rented an ART SLA 2 solid state reference power amp that I'm running into my EVs. Definitely not as warm as the Mesa. But I'm finding that the Damping control in the AFX power amp sims can make a very subtle but musical sounding difference. I.e. Higher amounts of damping seem to make the SS power amp sound a bit more like a tube amp.
But I might be imagining things too.
So many variables.

Back
Top Bottom