New unit just arrived and I'm having slight troubles with USB and delay

Tanax

Inspired
Hello!

I just got my new Axe-FX2.
I connected it via USB to my computer and I'm using Reaper to route the sound.

However, a delay occurs whenever I'm playing. When I strum the strings, especially if I'm playing something fast, it's a slight delay between when I'm strumming and the actual sound is coming out.
Any ideas on what this could be due to and/or how to fix it?

Or is this how it should be?

Thanks!

I don't use Reaper so I unfortunately can't direct you to the exact menus, but what are your audio buffer settings? Lower settings are typically used for tracking; higher for mixing (when you are using more intensive plugins). Another possibility is whether you are using software monitoring or direct monitoring. If you are using the software, it may be causing your delay.

Again, apologies that I can't point you to the right menus, but hopefully this will get you on the right track.

Sounds like you're getting latency due to higher buffer setttings. I don't use Reaper much, but check under Preferences -> Audio -> Device. Lower your buffer size to something like 256 or 128 if possible.

it's most likely the DAW not the AxeFx. I would monitor you audio with the anologue outs directly, not running through the computer and software, and record the USB signal without muted. No latency in that scenario at all and everything will be recorded with losless USB digital perfection:)

I don't use Reaper so I unfortunately can't direct you to the exact menus, but what are your audio buffer settings? Lower settings are typically used for tracking; higher for mixing (when you are using more intensive plugins). Another possibility is whether you are using software monitoring or direct monitoring. If you are using the software, it may be causing your delay.

Again, apologies that I can't point you to the right menus, but hopefully this will get you on the right track.

Sounds like you're getting latency due to higher buffer setttings. I don't use Reaper much, but check under Preferences -> Audio -> Device. Lower your buffer size to something like 256 or 128 if possible.

I tried lowering it to 8 x 128 and it says "latency: 23ms" but it's still very noticable when playing fast :/

What Operating System are you using?

Windows, sorry for not mentioning it!

it's most likely the DAW not the AxeFx. I would monitor you audio with the anologue outs directly, not running through the computer and software, and record the USB signal without muted. No latency in that scenario at all and everything will be recorded with losless USB digital perfection:)

I don't have the possibility to do so right now because I only have computer headphones and they don't fit in Axe-FX2 headphones-jack.. I'll need a converter for that.

No one? This is highly frustrating.
If it is the DAW, then what other DAW would you recommend instead? As said, I'm on Windows.

I have Reaper, but haven't really used it much as I'm much more familiar with Audacity. In Audacity in Preferences I use a -5ms setting in Latency Correction under the Recording tab. You might find something similar in Reaper.

Glad I found this thread. I'm getting the same thing as OP stated.
Using a Mac with Logic. It's fine for about 20 minutes then it starts this delayed sound thing and I didn't touch logic or the AxeFx II.

I'm just running AxeFx II Usb --> Mac and then audio out from Mac to speakers.

I guess the confusing part for me is that it does not do this right when I start it up and begin playing.

Tanax, does it happen to you right away or does it start say 20-30 minutes after you have been playing?

Last edited:
In Reaper, you can enable Monitor on the channel(s) that the Axe is running into, and mute the mix output. That will monitor your audio before any Reaper processing.

Fix it by monitoring out of the axe-fx. Connect your monitors to the axe.

I can try that but I don't want to unplug my monitors from the computer every time I use my AxeFx II.
Guess I'll have to tinker with some settings.

Thx.

EDIT: Well, I just plugged in again and started playing and after approx 15-20 min that same thing happened where I'd hit the strings and then 3-5 sec later I'd hear something. I screwed with the buffer like someone else mentioned and it seemed to go away.

Q: Why would this buffer do this so sudden? I don't want to have to go into the setting and change the buffer all the time.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hey Jon,

I'm using the driver for USB for Mac that Fractal has on it's site.
Question tho.. if I use Axe-Outs to monitor through. What if I'm recording in Logic and this delay happens? Will my guitar be out of time with the track I'm playing along to??

I have Reaper, but haven't really used it much as I'm much more familiar with Audacity. In Audacity in Preferences I use a -5ms setting in Latency Correction under the Recording tab. You might find something similar in Reaper.

I tried Audacity but I can't seem to get any sound when I'm playing though. If I record, I can see that Audacity is recieving sound but it's not actually playing it until I stop the recording and play the recorded track.
Ideally I would want to be able to play without even recording since I don't really want to record every time I'm practicing.

Any guides on how to do that? I did the "Enable monitoring" on the input so when I strum the guitar, I see that Audacity is receiving sound but no sound is being output.

Glad I found this thread. I'm getting the same thing as OP stated.
Using a Mac with Logic. It's fine for about 20 minutes then it starts this delayed sound thing and I didn't touch logic or the AxeFx II.

I'm just running AxeFx II Usb --> Mac and then audio out from Mac to speakers.

I guess the confusing part for me is that it does not do this right when I start it up and begin playing.

Tanax, does it happen to you right away or does it start say 20-30 minutes after you have been playing?

No, this happens right away - all the time.
It's barely noticable if I'm strumming or doing some riffing. But when I play single-notes fast(and tbh, not even THAT fast - think of the clean notes in the intro of On The Back Of Angels by Dream Theater), it is definitely a latency you can hear!

Fix it by monitoring out of the axe-fx. Connect your monitors to the axe.

I'm sorry. I wrote a few posts up that I did not have the possibility to do that. Mainly because I don't have any monitors yet.

In Reaper, you can enable Monitor on the channel(s) that the Axe is running into, and mute the mix output. That will monitor your audio before any Reaper processing.

I tried this, but if I mute the Mixer(which is the master output), everything becomes silent. Or did I misunderstand you when you said "mix output"?

I can try that but I don't want to unplug my monitors from the computer every time I use my AxeFx II.
Guess I'll have to tinker with some settings.

Thx.

EDIT: Well, I just plugged in again and started playing and after approx 15-20 min that same thing happened where I'd hit the strings and then 3-5 sec later I'd hear something. I screwed with the buffer like someone else mentioned and it seemed to go away.

Q: Why would this buffer do this so sudden? I don't want to have to go into the setting and change the buffer all the time.

Thoughts?

This is also another reason why I want to fix this issue with the computer instead of just "connect monitors via Axe2".
I don't want to have to keep reconnecting the cables to the monitors every time I want to use the Axe2, when I get my monitors that is.

What driver are you using?

Monitor thru the axe outs, just like funeral said.

I'm using the latest Windows drivers. Like I said, I just received the unit and downloaded the latest drivers from the website.

Well if youre monitoring through the axe fx, can you record by usb amd still receive things like click tracks and backing audio by USB into the axe fx too?

Well if youre monitoring through the axe fx, can you record by usb amd still receive things like click tracks and backing audio by USB into the axe fx too?

I'm kinda new to all of these terms. What do you mean by "monitoring _through_ the axe fx", "click tracks" and "backing audio"?
I can record tracks when I play, I will receive the sound and it will be stored on the selected track so I can play it back after I've recorded.

With Reaper, I can enable monitoring on the armed/record-ready track and be able to play and have the sound appear directly without having to record. This however, comes with latency that I'm trying to get rid of.
With Audacity I can't enable monitoring so the only way I can listen to what I'm playing is by recording and then play-back the recorded track after it's been recorded which is, needless to say, even worse.

I hope I'm explaining myself good enough here.
And sorry for not understanding all of the terms. Recording softwares is a completely new thing for me so I know nothing about any of it.

Hi Tanax,

I bumped the sampling rate from 44.1 to 48kHz on my project settings and so far that seems to have done the trick.

I'm using Logic and you are using Reaper but I'm sure you have a similar setting. Give that a try and see if the delay goes away.
Same as you I am just running AxeFxII > USB > Mac. I'm not running the Axe direct to monitors yet.

Hi Tanax,

I bumped the sampling rate from 44.1 to 48kHz on my project settings and so far that seems to have done the trick.

I'm using Logic and you are using Reaper but I'm sure you have a similar setting. Give that a try and see if the delay goes away.
Same as you I am just running AxeFxII > USB > Mac. I'm not running the Axe direct to monitors yet.

I'll try that when I get home later this week! Cheers.
Also thinking about getting Cubase. Don't have a good enough Mac(other than a MBP late '09) so Logic is a no-go for me. But yeah, I'll try your suggestion when I get the chance!

Back
Top Bottom