New Ultra User

Nyarlos

Just saying Hi to those in Ultra land, just got my hands on the Axe-fx, more than impressed!! I work in a small music store in Adelaide, Australia, I plugged the Ultra in to a PA, started going through presets and 3 separate people came up and asked how come it sounded so good!

I gather it means i'm gonna have fun when I rack him into my tubes at home.

Quick question though, do most of you users use solid state power amps to get the most 'tube control' (Via the sag and associated controls) or just turn 'em off and let the power amp do the work there? I just get the feeling that the fractal will do it as well as real tubes, so Im wondering if I'm breaking my back with tube power for no real reason.

Thanks guys, I look forward to years of axe-fx action.

Just saying Hi to those in Ultra land

Hi! :)

I plugged the Ultra in to a PA, started going through presets and 3 separate people came up and asked how come it sounded so good!

Ha, can't argue with the customers!

Quick question though, do most of you users use solid state power amps to get the most 'tube control' (Via the sag and associated controls) or just turn 'em off and let the power amp do the work there? I just get the feeling that the fractal will do it as well as real tubes, so Im wondering if I'm breaking my back with tube power for no real reason.

no tubes here (anymore), so I can't say. From what I've read here in the forum: It really depends on your power amp, the sound you're after and how yopu set the Axe. Some turn it off, some let the Axe do 'a little' power amp work etc. One of the best things about the Axe is, that it is very flexible. You 'just' have to figure out what works best for you.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/search.php?searchid=187842

And browse/read the Wiki, lot's of Wiki ;)

Thanks Don, I do like the 'just' in quotes there! So many options that 'just' doesn't quite cover it does it! Ha.

Racked him up, put through my Randall RT2:50 (which is great because different tubes on each side), and just played for hours. So amazing. Ended up setting most of the the sag settings at lower settings, seems to work nicely.

My only problem, having to choose just one set of sounds for my band. Its just not fair only being able to pick 2 for my stereo sound. Ha.

Bu thanks, still much to scroll through. Definately some wiki diving!!

No physical tube amps for me anymore either. I let the Axe-FX do all the work of producing tube amp tone. That's why I bought it, after all. And no more guitar cabs for me either. The Axe-FX has a very sophisticated cab simulation engine in it, and with the abundance of really good third party IR libraries out there, I don't expect to use a regular guitar cab (by choice) ever again.

I would probably say the same regarding cabs, but as adelaide is a small place, I will stay with cabs for onstage sound, maybe just hand the engineer a balanced line and tell him to keep mic's away from me! Lol.

Just seen your post - welcome ! I'm from Melbourne by the way ;-)
I agree with 'zslane' i.e. no tube amps - Axe does it all.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Might have to try a few things with solid state power. I got a Rocktron Velocity 300, through my work, for the other guitarist in my band, might have to steal it back. Ha.

But have been getting some massively huge sounds with tube power, so happy as it is. But taking another 15 kilos off my rack isnt a bad idea either.

I use the ART SLA-1 Poweramp really does well and is loud as fuck! playing in a metal band, running it through a cab at the moment, toying with the idea of running it through the PA from now on and no cab, but just a little scared thats all...

Im from Victoria mate, ex-Adelaidian, lived in Golden Grove/Greenwith myself, good to see another of my kind on here :p

Another Melbourne Axe'er here. Haven't been using my Axe for anything other than pissing about and home recording until now. Just joined a band that's starting up, so I'm gonna have to get something to amplify it. Won't need it to be 100W tube head into a 4x12 kinda loud though. So I might end up going with the Atomic wedge (but tubes are involved :(), or otherwise I might look around and try some of the other powered monitors people are using.

Aussie axe-fx'ers unite! Hear what you say davo-g, there seems to be a certain fear with ditching the quad box, and most of us metal heads like to feel some power behind us on stage.

DNW, I reckon that would be a good match, I hear the atomic wedge has some damn good points, and we trust them to do all our preamp work, why not the speakers too eh?

DNW, I reckon that would be a good match, I hear the atomic wedge has some damn good points, and we trust them to do all our preamp work, why not the speakers too eh?

Yeah, it seems like the easy no-brainer way to go, but at the same time, one of the things I like about the Axe is that I don't have to deal with tubes at all anymore.

Or maybe get a rack SS poweramp and one of the passive Atomic wedges. Hmm...

Hi Nyarlos,
My name is Steve and I play in Adelaide band Zepboys.
I recently ditched my multiple amp rig and am now using an Elevenrack through an Atomic powered wedge.
It is really great but I am now thinking about getting an AxeFX and using the 11r as my backup rig.
I was wondering what store you work in and if it would be cool to come in to meet you and hear the AXE?
as you know they are pretty thin on the ground here in OZ.
Steve Williams

I just ordered an am using an Art SLA2 power amp with my Ultra, and having this plugged into a Marshall 1960a stereo cabinet. After a few tweeks it sounds great, I dont wish for a tube amp now and it's louder than hell if I want it to be. Very Pleased. Also, adding the EFX block (on output 1) allows me to run non cab sounds to the 1960a via the SLA2, and also (and at the same time) send the Ultra's cab emulation tones from output 2 to my Daw interface and studio powered monitors. Best of both studio worlds for me!!!

I finally have a guitar setup that is limited only by me.... ; )

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

It might be possible sometime to work that out, but my shifts are a bit erratic so it might be hard to organise.
But I will just say, there is no comparison from the eleven to the axe, its like an epiphone/gibson thing to me. Even a top level epiphone doesnt have the magic a full US Gibson does, and the price shows you that. Its hard to compare a $1000 fx unit to a $3000 one. The hype is worth it, and even though I am having a little bit of MIDI troubles, I will quote hundreds of other posters here. "Sound trumps all". The axe has THE sound, worth any little programming BS that I would ever go through.

Thanks for getting back to me Nyarlos.
I think I am going to get one without trying.
You're Gibson/epiphone comparison has got to me as I have many great Gibson guitars.
The AUS distributor is out of stock so I either wait or get one from USA. at least the AUS $ is kicking at the moment.
Steve

Honestly, I have had it a month, and every time I plug in i'm inspired. Everyone I show basically craps their dacks at the sounds, and effects, even the noise gate block is amazing in its versatility.

This isnt me knocking on the eleven rack, but as you understand, you are going from an epiphone studio to a Gibson Custom. Enjoy the ride.

I finally got myself an AXEFX2

The upcoming Zepboys gigs at the Gov on Oct 28 & 29 will be powered by the AXE2

This thing sounds incredible.

Back
Top Bottom