New ultra owner, question about connecting to computer

Hell, I'm a new owner of an ultra and am having difficulty connecting to a computer. I am using and M-audio Midisport 2x2 interface. My setup is as follows:

Midi in from axe fx > m-audio midi out
Midi out from m-audio > midi in axe fx
Guitar > front instrument jack

I thought I had it connected properly...I was able to update firmware, use the tuner, however I am unable to get any sound to come out from my computer speakers. Any suggestions? I've tried my best to read the faqs but they don't seem to address my problem

Midi is only for control and not audio. From what I can gather in your post, I do not see any audio connections from your Axe-Fx to the computer. Take Output one and connect to Line In on your Computer audio card and then you will be in business.

So I need to plug a 1/4 inch cable from the Axe fx directly into my computer's sound card? My computer's sound card is ancient and doesn't have the right inputs, do I need to spring for a new one? Any you would reccomend? Thanks

That's correct. You will need a converter jack as typically comp sound cards will have an RCA or 1/8" input jack. If your card does not support Line In, there are a variety of relatively inexpensive options available. I use the MAudio Delta Audiophile 9624 which, if memory serves, cost me about $150 Canuck. Works for me but may not for your application, best to investigate a bit and see what sparks your interest. I record at home direct to comp and this card does a reasonable job at that for the price. Personally I would stay away from Soundblaster type solutions, I have not had good experience with their drivers. For best results, a card that comes with ASIO drivers works best to combat latency issues. One that has configurable buffer size is also recommended as you will want to minimize the buffer size during recording but alternately increase the buffer size during mixing to eliminate any pops and other unwanted artifacts that can occur with a large number of audio tracks playing at the same time.

As a short term solution - you might be able to use an 1/4" - > 1/8" adapter on the Axe and connect directly to your computer speakers.

Could I alternately use an interface like an M-Audio fast track instead of getting a new sound card? Or would you recommend still getting a sound card? And any others anyone can recommend?

Fast Track will work. Don't know anything about it so can't give any recommendation. Any of these types of devices will work for you Steve. Mainly depends on your budget and your ultimate goal of the setup.

My budget is around 200$. My main goal is home recording for guitar and vocals. Just wondering if there is any difference between a sound card and an interface in terms of quality, or if they're basically the exact same. Thanks for the responses

Personally I cannot say, check the specs for a starter. External interfaces (with typically USB interface connection) are certainly easier to hook up and maintain than an internal card though.

Dinkledorf said:
Personally I cannot say, check the specs for a starter. External interfaces (with typically USB interface connection) are certainly easier to hook up and maintain than an internal card though.
I'll second that - plus you get portability !

guitarsteve said:
My budget is around 200$. My main goal is home recording for guitar and vocals. Just wondering if there is any difference between a sound card and an interface in terms of quality, or if they're basically the exact same. Thanks for the responses

Around that price, you can't go wrong with a Firestudio Mobile. If you don't have firewire ports and have an open slot in your machine, you can pick up an add on card on the cheap these days.

http://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-FireStud ... B0039GZ7LY

It's a great unit, 8 ins, XLR and 1/4" and Phantom Power. For a basic setup, it's pretty much everything you need.

I ended up going with an M-Audio Delta 44. I have it connected to my PC right now, with output from the Axe going into input 1 of the Delta and still no sound. Any thoughts? I thought I had it set up properly...

Isn't there some software associated with the Delta-44 that allows you to set up input levels, etc?
Might want to check those levels. Are you using the balanced or unbalanced connectors between Axe and Delta?

guitarsteve said:
Yeah, all the levels are maxed out from the M-Audio control panel. I'm using the imbalanced outputs at the back of the axe.
OUT1 or OUT2 ?
Where are the output levels set on the output knobs on front panel ?
You can drive headphones with those outputs...

are you getting any sound from your computer? I am not sure about your set up but my m-audio card needs something to power the speakers I use a home stereo. these kinds of sound cards do not use computer speakers.

guitarsteve said:
Ah...it never ends. So I basically just need a speaker with a 1/4'' jack in? And then I will finally have sound? heh
Yes, and maybe no! or it depends! If you are setting up the Axe for home use/recording, what do you monitor your recording thru today?
Do you have studio monitors or a set of computer speakers (maybe with a small sub) or nothing?
If nothing, I recommend you buy some studio monitors. There are so many out there, but in the bang-for-the-buck-category, the Behringer "Truths" [B2031A] have a good rap. Most near-field monitors will take either XLR or 1/4" inputs. You can also hook up the OUT1 L/R jacks on the Axe directly to these studio monitors, bypassing computer completely.
If you have computer speakers (usually 1/8" jack), then you can driver them by using a 1/4 -> 1/8" adapter and connect to output 1 on the Delta.
More info on your objectives and hookup really help us help you!

Back
Top Bottom