New UA Pedals

You wouldn’t be using AxeFX if you only cared what your audience thinks. 99% of it won’t be able to tell the difference between it and a Line 6 Pod. You, the player, sure can tell the difference though, and that matters too.

You, the player, sure can tell the difference though, and that matters too.

Right! I've always maintained that modelers have generally sounded decent/usable for years now but it's when you're in the drivers seat that the differences are apparent...sometimes incredibly so.

Nevermind MIDI, I can't believe they don't even have an expression pedal input. On a modulation or delay pedal? For $400? Come on.
I'd rather buy a Chase Bliss, Eventide, or Strymon for that kind of money, or save a bunch and get something from Earthquaker.

Of course once you've got an FM3 or Axe-FX III it doesn't even matter any more.

As soon as I discovered the Axe Fx and realized that with one stomp I could turn off 3 "pedals", engage 2 others, and switch my input from mag to piezo pickups, I was smitten.

I'm too out of shape to balance on one foot and do those gymnastics. And, who has the time??? Such a different and far superior experience.

That Echoplex simulation sounds INCREDIBLE. I love my Axe III, but I do wish the Tape Delay was a bit better. I just can't get it to sound as lovely as the Helix or my Volante/Nemesis/DD-200 pedals or plugins. I just can't get the modulation or drive right in the Axe 'Stereo Tape'. Don't get me wrong, it sounds fine, but I do wish it could get that lovely modulated wash with driven repeats spread across the stereo field.

For me the selling point is the Cooper delay option. I love that plugin. The DMM also is best emulation I've heard. The lack of expression pedal is just weird though.

I like the Axe Tape delays but not the BBD.

That Echoplex simulation sounds INCREDIBLE. I love my Axe III, but I do wish the Tape Delay was a bit better. I just can't get it to sound as lovely as the Helix or my Volante/Nemesis/DD-200 pedals or plugins. I just can't get the modulation or drive right in the Axe 'Stereo Tape'. Don't get me wrong, it sounds fine, but I do wish it could get that lovely modulated wash with driven repeats spread across the stereo field.
I shared this preset some time ago in which I tried to recreate those sounds, check it out 😉
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/a-few-wishes-about-delays.157274/post-1876132

So, it is operator error on my part.
I wouldn't say "error" cuz I used quite a few LFOs and modifiers to obtain that sound, you can't do it within the delay block alone and it should be made easier for a user imho (that's why that post is in a wish thread).
But the good thing is that, with a bit of creativity, you can accomplish pretty much anything with the tools available on the axe fx

I wouldn't say "error" cuz I used quite a few LFOs and modifiers to obtain that sound, you can't do it within the delay block alone and it should be made easier for a user imho (that's why that post is in a wish thread).
But the good thing is that, with a bit of creativity, you can accomplish pretty much anything with the tools available on the axe fx
Care to summarize the basic plan? I've sworn off editing this month so I don't want to look, but I'm still curious.

Care to summarize the basic plan? I've sworn off editing this month so I don't want to look, but I'm still curious.
I don't remember exactly what I did atm cuz I did that 1 year ago, but iirc I attached LFO controllers to the depth and rate parameters of the delay block's LFOs to create some pseudo-random modulation, trying to mimic what strymon tape simulations do.

PS: downloading the preset and looking at the modifiers list isn't considered editing 😜

Well, if Fractal release a simple two FS FX box with analog dry through (ADT), I'd be all over it. If it only contains all the reverb and delay effects on Axe III, I'd be happy to purchase it right away. @FractalAudio :p

Personally, I think pedalboard friendly simple format pedals with high quality analog circuit and high quality digital modeling effects makes A LOT of sense, and will capture a big crowd in the market. And I believe Fractal is definitely capable of both aspects.

Pedals are pretty. Pedals are cool. There are way too many boutique companies out there making pedals that I’ll never try because I’m not a perpetual cash machine. I don’t want to constantly spice rack tones and buy and sell pedals.
I’d rather have a Fractal. There’s nothing that this constellation of pedals and pedal makers can do that Cliff cannot eventually replicate mathematically and integrate into his firmware at this point. Either that or the geniuses around here in the user space will devise a recipe using what we already have.

Well, if Fractal release a simple two FS FX box with analog dry through (ADT), I'd be all over it. If it only contains all the reverb and delay effects on Axe III, I'd be happy to purchase it right away. @FractalAudio :p

Personally, I think pedalboard friendly simple format pedals with high quality analog circuit and high quality digital modeling effects makes A LOT of sense, and will capture a big crowd in the market. And I believe Fractal is definitely capable of both aspects.
That would cost just as much as simply buying an FM3 or FM9 and putting it in your amp’s effects loop. The FM3 obviated the need for ever developing something like an FX8 ever again. Thus, you’ll never see what you just suggested.

That would cost just as much as simply buying an FM3 or FM9 and putting it in your amp’s effects loop. The FM3 obviated the need for ever developing something like an FX8 ever again. Thus, you’ll never see what you just suggested.
FM3 is not a pedal nor pedal board friend, but it does WAY MORE than just multi-effects.

A pedal has physical knobs for dedicated functions, and it needs to be much smaller than the FM3, no LCD screen, etc.

And very importantly, it needs a good ADT (analog dry through).

That UAFX Golden Reverberator sure does sound good though... that drip... I'm impressed...
I can't get that (yet) from my FM3

That UAFX Golden Reverberator sure does sound good though... that drip... I'm impressed...
I can't get that (yet) from my FM3
I have the UAFX Golden Reverberator too - bought it before I bought my FM3. Of course it's a great pedal.

But I've not touched the Golden for a while and I'm running my spring reverb block in front of the amp block (as recommended in the docs) on my FM3 and it's pretty drippy; I'm happy with that. Are you using the reverb block in front of the amp?

I had all of them, but I ended up selling them all after a bit. I was originally super into them, but although they had character they were very digital sounding compared to my CE-1, Memory Man, and real spring reverb. I did buy their Dream 65 pedal which has a reverb from the Golden pedal and it seems to sound a bit better in that context as it's modelled to be inserted before the power amp. Maybe I should have tried the pedal in the effects loop :)

The CE-1 sounds nothing like a real CE-1...to me. The Memory Man is close but the repeats are very clean it kind of sounds like a Line 6 model. I actually am back to using the Fractal effects for delay and modulation. I have to tweak the filters to get the sound of my Memory Man and after I do the repeats sound damn close. Now that there is an impending recession, Fractal effects sound even better to me than new pedals :)

Back
Top Bottom