New UA Pedals

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
Been watching the fanfare regarding the new UA pedals (as anything with James Santiago is always a treat). Putting all the UA self-congratulation and hype aside, they've gone after some specific vintage tones and I'm interested to hear your impressions of the sounds and if there's anything you're hearing either sound- or feature-wise that's perked your ears. Looking forward to setting up the Axe-Fx III performance knobs to emulate what they've been demoing. Keep us posted if you emulate any of the tones you're hearing them showcase.

Same here, I don’t see myself buying this. But given the power of their brand and the pricing of their other gear, they’ll sell a ton of these imo. You get UA for only $400. What a “deal”. Maybe Fractal should exploit this weakness in the market as well. Some folks like to keep things simple. Also, maybe someone will finally innovate and let digital pedals connect to each other digitally as well, without DA/AD round trip.

Value-wise, you're spending $400 USD for the equivalent of a single block (sometimes more than a block worth) in the Axe-Fx III chain, without the flexibility of all the parameters available in the AFX. But UA has gone after some specific sounds, and they all seem cool and more importantly inspiring. For the user that just wants to turn a few knobs and have some stellar sounds, it's a nice albeit pricey trip. And that probably fits in pretty well with their base of vintage gear sniffers and Ox users.

Value-wise, you're spending $400 USD for the equivalent of a single block (sometimes more than a block worth) in the Axe-Fx III chain, without the flexibility of all the parameters available in the AFX. But UA has gone after some specific sounds, and they all seem cool and more importantly inspiring. For the user that just wants to turn a few knobs and have some stellar sounds, it's a nice albeit pricey trip. And that probably fits in pretty well with their base of vintage gear sniffers and Ox users.
Precisely. This is the market where people spend this much (or more!) on an overdrive pedal by some guy who doesn't even know WTF he's doing.

The best part of this release/video is the heightened online presence of longtime FAS friend, conributor, and
Scheila -spouse James Santiago, who is obviously the heart of the dev team of this project, and his level of enthusiasm(hype) in his laid-back way seems quite sincere....Although I am a UAD fan , between my FAS gear , already owned UAD plugins and some recently acquired Eurorack modular time-and dimension manglers, my modulation needs are more than covered Without these...(edit....I didn’t read @CodePoet ‘s
initial post before I wrote this, I seem to have echoed (pun) his thoughts.....)

Last edited:
The Fractal/Kemper/Line6 crowd are definitely not the intended market for these. These are for the more Luddite amongst our guitar brethren.
Yeah. Pretty much that. Some people would rather for out a multitude in pedals, boards, cables and power supplies rather then buy a good all in one modeler with all the menus. I don't want to endlessly tweak is the most heard reason.

Am I the only one who finds the ”everything sounds like an old Pink Floyd song” sound examples and the marketing built around that a little... misleading in a way?

I mean the music sounds great, videos are really nice and who doesn’t like that good ol’ vintage sound. That must hit a soft spot for a particular crowd. I bet everyone in your band and in the audience is going to notice how authentic vintage your sound is after buying these 400 $ pedals. The secret of sounding authentic vintage is through a (digital) authentic vintage equipment, right?

It’s not like you ”buy this pedal and it instantly makes your music sound like old Pink Floyd”. Or maybe it does. I’m not gonna spend 400 $ to find out.

Back
Top Bottom