New to forum. A few questions about axe Ultra

racetra

Inspired
Hey everybody, Great forum. I have some questions so sorry for the lengthy post. First a bit about me. I play in 2 bands. My main band is a 10 peice rock & Soul band Chains Required, the other is a 3 peice rock gig doin old rock. I have been on the tone quest for quite a while. I went to the Boss GT series a few years back but soon tired of the tone. Last year I decided to go old school and bought a Legacy 2 head and G System. It was cool but a lot to lug. Then I bought the Line 6 POD HD500. The clean was incredible but the high gain just sounded weak to me. It all had this very fizzy sound. Now I am using my 1982 Carvin X100b (Clean Channel) with some real nice pedals from Suhr, Fulltone, Wampler & Eventide. Its a great sound but not perfect. I am running through a Marshall 4x12 with v30s. Enough bout me.

My Questions:
Is there an issue with DSP on the Axe like there is with the POD?

Can you run a cab sim to the PA and turn it off to your amp & cab on stage?

How are the basic Marshall Plexy sounds? (I understand the clean is spot on Fender and then some)

Finally, how is it to program compaired to the POD 500?

I was running a Carvin TS100 stereo tube power amp for my GTs and my POD. Is any one running tube amps or do you reccomend SS amplification.

I was defenetly steered away from the modeling gear with the last POD experience. I need something that is very versital. My buddy just got an ultra and swears buy it and he was pretty anti modeling. It needs to work for a live rig. It needs to be road worthy. I do about 5o gigs between march and september. I would be running it stereo through the 4x12 with the TS100 or a SS amp. I know there is a few good ones. I had a velocity 300 for a bit and liked it.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get it all in one. I am entertaining getting one but as you all know, it is a chunck of $$

Thanks
T

My Questions:
Is there an issue with DSP on the Axe like there is with the POD?
Huh?

Can you run a cab sim to the PA and turn it off to your amp & cab on stage?
Yes

How are the basic Marshall Plexy sounds? (I understand the clean is spot on Fender and then some)
I'd say the opposite. It nails Marshall plexy tones (and then some), but I find Fender cleans need a lot more work

That depends. Some can use it straight out of the box, some become expert tweakers, and some fall in between these two extremes. Some give up along the way. What you are willing to put into it determines how far you'll get. If you're worried about learning curve or deep editing, you may want to look for something simpler.

Last edited:
I can't compare it to the POD (never had one). But the interface is more streamlined than than any other I've tried. You may have one or two WTF moments, but after you get through those, you'll find yourself thinking more about your tonal goals and less about the user interface.

Hey D,
Thanks for the reply. I had a POD HD500 and you could use up the DSP real easy. I did it with simple dual amp and reverbs. The reason I got rid of it was the high gain stuff sounded like crud to me. It was very "Fizzy" sounding and I could not get rid of it. After about 3 months I was done. Also, the construction wasn't that great. A few other things too. As far as the Marshall Plexi sound, mostly all I have heard with the ax is more of a metal sound which is cool but I also need the basic Marshall chunk. I dont mind and rather enjoy the editing. With anything there is a learning curve. I figure if I learn something new, I can purge something old!! I cant wait to get into it.

The Axe-Fx is a quality piece of gear for discerning tastes and ears, by and large. Only the end user can determine whether any piece of equipment is right for the way they work and hear things or not. One thing is for sure, there are a lot of serious users on this forum who absolutely GUSH over the Axe-Fx, and I'm one of them. The price tag? An absolute STEAL for the money.

If you're still on the fence, I'd call up your buddy who "swears by" his Axe-Fx and have him give you a nice long demo when the two of you have an off day. Myself, I didn't need the demo. I read the reviews, posts on this forum, and scoured the manual for the feature set. This is a superior investment. Even leaving the amp/cab sims aside, the Axe-Fx as an effects processor is worth the money IMO.

I was on the "Digital" fence after the POD but not anymore. A couple of Mark Day Vids cleared that right up....hehehe!

Hey How do you get to axe exchange?

How can you be certain it was the POD that was the problem?

Neither the GT8 or 10 did it, The carvin legacy 2 or x100 didn't do it even with the Keeley SD pedal. 2 other amps and numorus pedals. The Fizzy issue is a huge problem with a lot of folks and all over the L6 forums. At this point the GT was better than the POD and I know the Axe is light years ahead of that. I think the POD HD series will get there. Version 1.?? vs 10.?? Its still a baby though. I just dont have time to wait. I am a giggin fool and need it now. Of coarse the axe isn't available.....Just my luck!!

As far as the Marshall Plexi sound, mostly all I have heard with the ax is more of a metal sound...
My experience is just the opposite. IMO the Axe-FX does a great job of copping the Marshall "chunk." Can you share your patch so we can see what's going on?

My experience is just the opposite. IMO the Axe-FX does a great job of copping the Marshall "chunk." Can you share your patch so we can see what's going on?

Sorry, I dont even have the axe yet. I was talking about the vids i have seen. The POD was what had that sound. Thats why I got rid of it.

Thats what Im talk bout. The POD IMO wasn't near that good and if you went higher gain the problem got real bad. Thanks

... As far as the Marshall Plexi sound, mostly all I have heard with the ax is more of a metal sound which is cool but I also need the basic Marshall chunk...

Do yourself a favor and watch these videos from forum member Ketil:
YouTube - (R)evolution of Rock Guitar-Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra Preamp/Effects processor-Part I -Ketil Strand
YouTube - (R)evolution of Rock Guitar-Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra Preamp/Effects processor-Part II-Ketil Strand
YouTube - (R)evolution of Rock Guitar-Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra Preamp/Effects processor-Part 3-Ketil Strand
YouTube - (R)evolution of Rock Guitar-Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra Preamp/Effects processor-Part 4-Ketil Strand

Not just Marshall tones in there, but enough variety (and realism) to help you get off the fence, one way or the other.

I did watch. Incredible. That would sell anybody. I am just waiting for some money I have coming and an available unit........Can't wait

I used to have the POD X3 Live. I could never use the amp simulation with good results. The effects were nice.

Based on my experience with the Axe there is no comparison. I like the Axe-FX better than the amps it models, especially for home playing levels. I never have to crank it up to hear the sweet breakup of the amp.

Back
Top Bottom