New TI multicore DSPs

I'd guess about 2-3 years. Both the standard and ultra had the same 'omg it's new tech' run before getting surpassed by something more powerful. Development is coming in leaps and bounds, but I don't think we will see an ultra II for about 2years yet. There's still a lot of room for expansion in the II, even though FAS is blazing a trail though it quickly :lol:

that had me thinking, I would sure like to know how much potential there are left in the axe-fx II, regarding firmware updates..

Like where are we now? 10/100% room for updates? How much storage is left etc. for future updates? Hard to tell maybe? I'm just curious about how much horse there is to it totally.

Followed the new thread asking Cliff about the future of the AFXIII to this old thread.
Read this thread and followed 2-year-old links herein.
And now I've gone and peed myself.
Thanks a lot guys.

Hey guys, you do know that Analog Devices has always had DSP competitors who could out number crunch them? The advantage of Analog Devices is that they have audio focused architecture options which makes their process more efficient. The audio architecture is baked in and does not require additional processes.

A great analogy is that if you're a gamer, you can run games on a super powerful Intel processor and it's ok. It works. But if you want high fidelity gaming, you absolutely must have a dedicated graphics chip.

Reading over this whitepaper, I see no mention of application specific design implications. Chances are, the AXEFX 3 will have Analog Devices under the hood.

This is like predicting a delivery date and scheduling the baby shower before the egg is even fertilized.

Since development on the TigerSHARC series has stopped, I wouldn't be surprised if Cliff moved to a new processor in the future. But the Axe II just came out and presently has all the horsepower he needs.

I imagine moving to a new DSP would be major work. I'll check back four years from now.

It was about 6, but given that the TI DSPs actually took 1+ years to actually ship.... your prediction was in the ballpark :)

Digikey says the new chip is like $600 apiece. Probably less for Cliff, but also probably not by much, since he's not buying pallets full of them. So a significant chunk of that $2500 is actually DSPs. FPGA is not cheap either. We have a Xilinx board at work that's $2500 just on its own.

Frankly I thought the III would cost more, and I think the current price is more than fair. As it is, it's still cheaper than most high end tube amps, which IMO is just mind blowing value for what you get. FWIW, I plan to upgrade once it's not on backorder (I figure in about a year). I can wait until then, working musicians should get theirs before me, a hobbyist.

Back
Top Bottom