New TI multicore DSPs

AlbertA

Fractal Fanatic
It took a while but TI finally has a contender (TMS320C667x family) that goes beyond the Analog Devices ADI’s ADSP-TS201S TigerSHARC:

the TMS320C667x family:

C6000 High Performance Multicore DSP - TMS320C66x DSP - TMS320C6678 - TI.com
C6000 High Performance Multicore DSP - TMS320C66x DSP - TMS320C6674 - TI.com
C6000 High Performance DSP - TMS320C667x DSP - TMS320C6671 - TI.com

The 8-core version is around $200. That's 8 cores in the same chip. Each core can be clocked up to 1.25GHz.

Here's a high level comparison against the ADSP-TS201S:
http://www.ti.com/litv/pdf/sprabn8a

I salivate at what a future Axe-Fx product could do with one of these :)
- Imagine one core completely dedicated to Reverb for example.
- Seamless spillover
- More power available for amp sims...
- <insert other possibilities here>

Disclosure: I work for TI but not in the DSP division :)

Last edited:
there-is-no-spoon.jpg

There is no spoon..

Guys, let's think simple for a moment here.

Fractal Audio releases the axe-fx standard, huge success.
Fractal Audio releases the axe-fx ultra, huge success.
Fractal Audio releases the axe-fx II... Insane success!

Why stop now? Success + money... more success + money... Hmm.. Let's see... "yeah think I'll have some more success and money please" :roll

No but seriously. I hope Fractal Audio continue to develop the axe-fx genre.. I would have no problem with using my II as a backup (even how crazy that sounds) if there is some other crazy axe-fx to come. But please, stay a bit undergroud and mystique (when I think about it it's not going that good when Vai and Petrucci is using it xD)
or what I'm trying to say is that money and fame can easly change things, belive me I know.. I used to be this babemagnet with all the money I could ever want (pfff)
you get my point. I just want the awesome support and passion to continue, it could be harder if the demands and preasure from the masses gets too big you know?
What's too popular can get syntetisized very fast I think. Love you Fractal Audio :p

Can you break it down in a few lines how much more powerful they are (or even 1 core is?), please? :)
Just some rough guesstimates?

<Rubs hands>. Good, that way I'll be able to go directly from my Standard to Axe III. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, Axe-Fx II ULTRA on the horizon :eek:
You say that like it's a bad thing...

In any case, assuming FA decides to use this for AxeFX III (or whatever it's called), it'll probably take long enough to get the board laid out and everything re-written and re-tested that the AxeFX II will be looking a bit outdated anyway.

Actually, this could potentially accelerate the release of an AxeFX III/II Ultra... now that the TigerSHARC has some competition Analog Devices might step up their timetable on faster DSPs, and those might just be a drop-in replacement — no extra testing or development on FA's part required (assuming that their code doesn't rely on instructions taking a set amount of time to execute... like in some old video games that run unplayably fast on modern computers).

Reactions: jon
This is like predicting a delivery date and scheduling the baby shower before the egg is even fertilized.

Since development on the TigerSHARC series has stopped, I wouldn't be surprised if Cliff moved to a new processor in the future. But the Axe II just came out and presently has all the horsepower he needs.

I imagine moving to a new DSP would be major work. I'll check back four years from now.

This is like predicting a delivery date and scheduling the baby shower before the egg is even fertilized.

Since development on the TigerSHARC series has stopped, I wouldn't be surprised if Cliff moved to a new processor in the future. But the Axe II just came out and presently has all the horsepower he needs.

I imagine moving to a new DSP would be major work. I'll check back four years from now.

Agreed. Recall the past. Look to the future. Live in the present.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

I said what I said and you read something into it ;)

But I've to concede that a bit of ambiguity was intended, not in a negative manner though.
Progress is a good thing and I'm not one of those, who always have to have the latest and greatest to be satisfied.
"On the horizon" is a ridiculous hyperbole anyway. :D

Back
Top Bottom