New studio monitors for home recording

lj045637

Inspired
Hey there,

Want to replace my current studio monitors (Yamaha HS 7) with smaller ones. The HS 7 occupy too much space on my desk and are overdimensioned for living room home recording. Mainly hard rock / metal productions.

Have spotted the following two alternatives:
- Genelec 8320 apm
- Adam A5x

What would u recommend?

Thanks.

John

Agreed.

My D5's get great comments when people are here recording and for the Axe they are superb.

You can only order them directly from Equator Audio. Seems they're currently out of stock, but they're worth the wait, which hopefully wont be too long.

Try before you buy, I've heard of a few reliability troubles, and some have arrived with totally wrong calibration, resulting in crazy brightness. They're very cheap though!

Check out Eve audio, still affordable and supposedly great sound. Out of these I only have experience with Genelec, can't go wrong with them either. The DSP in them is awesome, in addition to good sound to begin with.

Last edited:
I heard good/great things about the D5's but I've also heard a lot of reliabilty issues as well. Buzzing components or something to that effect. I love Coaxial design speakers for the stereo imaging. I would also suggest the Yamaha HS8's as they are very true to source and have a bit more low end if you want it. Both are nice.

Thanks to all !!!

Went for the Equator D5 !!! Sound to be the best solution for me...great sound and small size. Talked also to my preferred store and they recommended them as well.

By the way, you can order them at Thomann they are still on stock there.

Look forward to hearing what you think of them.

Hey there,

I got my Equator D5's today...it was a battle getting them...they are sold out in all major sales points...but anyway got them today and just plugged them in to my axe fx. They translate the axe fx signal much better than with my yamaha HS7's...the sound is punchy and crystal clear...it seems these monitors were made for the axe fx. the yamaha's sounded somehow muffled...I acknowledge that the yamaha's are very popular...but in my view they are allrounder for any music style. for guitar oriented music the equator's are better. I am happy with them but still have to figure out the ideal settings...currently have the sensitivity set at -10 dbV and the boundary set at 2. maybe some other users can share their settings as well...didn't purchase the equator room analysis kit...hmm might be a good investment ???!!!

The size of the monitors is ideal for a desk use...the yamaha's were far too big for a normal desk:)

...just ordered the blue mo-fi headphones for my late night sessions...they seem to be highly recommended as well....any experience with them ?

by the way...any axe fx users from munich (germany) around ???? please pm me !!!

Cheers,
John

I use coaxial Fluid audio FX8.
I don't know if they are available anymore, but I am very happy with these monitors together with my axe FX.
Very powerful, nice sound, cheap.
You just need some place on your desk because they are big (8" coaxial)
What else ?

Looks like the price on the Equator D5s is going up March 1st. I'd snag a pair now if I was in the market. I guess Equator has realized the D5s have gotten such good word of mouth that they can charge more for them.

I've had my D8s for nearly 2 years now and am quite happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom